Can someone explain the car dock to me?

pudah

Reaction score
This thing looks really cook and functional. It has two bottom ends with one containing a USB jack. The instructions indicate that you put the phone on this cradle and a cable, already installed, runs to the power source, and splits off for an audio output as well. I didn't get any such cable, just a standard audio M to M end cable. How is this supposed to work?

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
This thing looks really cook and functional. It has two bottom ends with one containing a USB jack. The instructions indicate that you put the phone on this cradle and a cable, already installed, runs to the power source, and splits off for an audio output as well. I didn't get any such cable, just a standard audio M to M end cable. How is this supposed to work?

Ok you plug your car phone charger in the back of the car dock, kinda hard to find, but if your looking at the back of the dock, see where there is a space open, there is a mini usb port in there, simply plug in your phone car charger to that and your good to go.

They give you an adapter for the cradle in case you have a case on your phone in which case you take out the one that you put in if you dont have a case.

Hope that helps

OP
pudah

pudah

Reaction score
With the adapter in place I dont see how you run a power cable to it and connect, nor do I see where the audio cable connects.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
With the adapter in place I dont see how you run a power cable to it and connect, nor do I see where the audio cable connects.

The car charger goes into the back, inside the opening, to the right (Its on the right side of the opening) So your car charger would run behind the car dock, into the open area, then plugged into the right side of the opening. Like I said, at first I couldn't find it either, I did it at the vzw store and went back in and even they couldnt find it at first..

Last edited:

feivel

Reaction score
The car charger goes into the back, inside the opening, to the right (Its on the right side of the opening) So your car charger would run behind the car dock, into the open area, then plugged into the right side of the opening. Like I said, at first I couldn't find it either, I did it at the vzw store and went back in and even they couldnt find it at first..

the USB charger is pretty intuitive, but I cannot find any way to connect audio, except to plug a headphone into the headphone jack pthe standard dock has a USB to headphone jack so that clearly works. Am I missing a cable?

Pjohn91

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
There is a male X male 3.5 mm jack in there somewhere.plugs into top of phone

OP
pudah

pudah

Reaction score
[

This would make everything make sense! Ive been feverishly searching for the cable and it's not to be found. VZW told me that the picture wasnt in the manual, but they didnt have one to reference. They dont know what it is or where to get it. Motorola also said they dont have or make it and dont know where to tell you to go. Arep at a local store called around internally with VZW with the same results. He said he remembers seeing something like it for a different phone once, so finding that may be the key. I see noting on Monoprice.

Any luck finding this one?

QUOTE=feivel;1729554]View attachment 40084

View attachment 40084[/QUOTE]

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Your not missing anything. I dont know where that pic came from, alls you get is the dock and the 3.5 mm cable.

ConqSoft

Reaction score
Yeah, that picture is definitely in the manual that came with my Bionic car kit. However, on the outside of the box, it only mentions the 3.5mm Aux Audio Cable in the "Package Includes" list.

Mateles

Reaction score
It would have been nice if they could have had an audio jack in the back that could grab just the audio from micro HDMI. Then you wouldn't have to plug in the audio cable each time.

feivel

Reaction score
It would have been nice if they could have had an audio jack in the back that could grab just the audio from micro HDMI. Then you wouldn't have to plug in the audio cable each time.

You don't even need HDMI! The "Standard Dock" which I got with the Costco deal has only a USB port in it, but on the back there is a headphone jack and audio pops out just fine. I tested it already. So the car dock has all the needed connectivity on the phone side, but for some reason they didn't simply put a jack on the back of the car mount. They could have used the same circuitry from the dock!

Oh well, please keep up the good hunt for the cable, and please post if you find one. Thanks!

ConqSoft

Reaction score
The usb connector shown in the manual would offer the same functionality it looks like, since it splits off to an audio jack. We just need to see if that's available anywhere.

Mateles

Reaction score
You don't even need HDMI! The "Standard Dock" which I got with the Costco deal has only a USB port in it, but on the back there is a headphone jack and audio pops out just fine. I tested it already. So the car dock has all the needed connectivity on the phone side, but for some reason they didn't simply put a jack on the back of the car mount. They could have used the same circuitry from the dock!

Oh well, please keep up the good hunt for the cable, and please post if you find one. Thanks!
Ah, now I understand. Audio out the micro-usb - nice. But then I'll need to find a good usb-car power adapter. All the ones I tried before with my Droid1 couldn't keep up. I'd still get a slight power drain with music+nav+screen on, and I bet the Bionic is even more power hungry. Right now I'm using a straight car-micro usb charger, with no regular USB.

Edit: wrong item

Last edited: