Can keyboard be customized?

theclemsonfan

Reaction score
Space bar on droid X is to narrow, i keep putting . between each word rather than a space. Any way to customize the keyboard to widen the space bar?

Jcshannon05

Reaction score
Try out the gimpsta customized HTC IME keyboard. I'm loving it. I originally had it on my MOTO Droid. Best out in my opinion.

DX Tapatalk Pro

OP
T

theclemsonfan

Reaction score
thx for the reply, i went to gimpsta.com and it lets you change colors and graphics, but i couldnt find a way to change the width of the space bar, anyway to do that?

phillyphill39

Reaction score
I thought i was the only one that had this issue. I find i have to type a lot slower so that i don't hit the period.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

coffeeguzzler

Reaction score
turn it

I usually just turn it counterclockwise, 90 degrees to the left on its side; I can type much more accurately.

arabstar1982

Reaction score
Coming from a phone that always had a physical qwerty keyboard, I am realizing how much slower I have to type to make sure my fingers hit the right keys... I am slowly increasing speed, but its definitely been an adjustment! I came to the DX from the Devour and I loved that physical keyboard. Any other keyboard suggestions would be greatly appreciated here too, any customization and such. I do have to turn the phone to the landscape position to really fly across the keys otherwise my bigger fingers hit wrong buttons.

Elkay

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, but adjusting. That.space.key.is.my.only.gripe.

ninjabox

Reaction score
I know this space bar thing is also an issue for me. I'm going post about it in the App development for somebody to make a nice user friendly keyboard for us heavy texters.

gIMpSTa

Reaction score
I know this space bar thing is also an issue for me. I'm going post about it in the App development for somebody to make a nice user friendly keyboard for us heavy texters.

Heh I've seen few people mention it but I RARELY ever hit the . or , by accident. I'm an extremely heavy texter (1200 sent in past 7 days :icon_eek:) and couldn't live without HTC_IME mod! Should probably also mention I have rather large hands and type in portrait mode too!

Have you guys ever recalibrated the keyboard?? Maybe the stock calibration values just don't work well for you?

I've actually played around with adding an option to the skin kitchen for a bigger space bar but got put on the back burner to other things as it just simply doesn't happen to me enough to bother. Maybe i'll dig thru my notes and try to see how far I got with that option (don't remember, to be honest ha).

Coming from a phone that always had a physical qwerty keyboard, I am realizing how much slower I have to type to make sure my fingers hit the right keys... I am slowly increasing speed, but its definitely been an adjustment! I came to the DX from the Devour and I loved that physical keyboard. Any other keyboard suggestions would be greatly appreciated here too, any customization and such. I do have to turn the phone to the landscape position to really fly across the keys otherwise my bigger fingers hit wrong buttons.

I recommend the above mentioned keyboard. There are a lot of options to play around with but you can really make the typing experience a lot better. One of the biggest things is to use a keyboard with GOOD auto correction, and stop fixing your errors. I find that probably 90% of my typo's get auto corrected to the word I wanted to type anyway (with htc_ime mod you can just tap space to insert the selected word in the suggestion bar).

Other settings in htc_ime mod that I find improve my speed:

Custom popup delay set to 250ms. this is the delay of how long you have to hold a button to get the secondary character (or characters) to display. 250 ms is just fast enough that it's so much quicker to long press a button then to switch keyboard pages (#12 button, abc button, whatever) to get it's secondary character (number, symbols, etc).

Disabled space after period (you can still double tap space to insert period then space after a word and less time deleting a space in the cases you dont want one after the .)

Swipe up for shift, swipe left for delete last word, and swipe right to move to end of next word.

Your mileage may vary, but majority of the time I can type as fast on this as I ever could on any of my blackberries or other phones with physical qwerty's (which is pretty fast haha). Hardest thing is to retrain your self not to hit backspace but just keep going and let the autocorrect fix it.

Last edited:

jkcerda

Reaction score
Where can I get the HTC_IME mod keyboard?

Link to Jonasl's thread (unthemed HTC_IME mod) -> [MOD] HTC_IME (8th June) v27: Small fix - xda-developers

Link to my thread (the skin generator, exact same keyboard just skinned to your liking) -> [Skins] HTC_IME High/Low Res v27 custom skin generator online! Updated June 8th! - xda-developers
is that the same keyboard the incredible sports?
I am looking for one that has the virtual button to get out of keyboard mode instead of hitting the return button(physical)

thanksdancedroid

gIMpSTa

Reaction score
Where can I get the HTC_IME mod keyboard?

Link to Jonasl's thread (unthemed HTC_IME mod) -> [MOD] HTC_IME (8th June) v27: Small fix - xda-developers

Link to my thread (the skin generator, exact same keyboard just skinned to your liking) -> [Skins] HTC_IME High/Low Res v27 custom skin generator online! Updated June 8th! - xda-developers
is that the same keyboard the incredible sports?
I am looking for one that has the virtual button to get out of keyboard mode instead of hitting the return button(physical)

thanksdancedroid

Yeah it's a heavily modified version of that keyboard. I assume you are talking about the "hide keyboard" button? By default it's a smilies button instead of close keyboard but you can disable "smilies hack" in the settings to change it back to close keyboard and you can also set a gesture to close it, ie swipe down to hide keyboard.

Hope that's what you were asking about?