can I install the recent (Dec 2010) OTA update while rooted?

upjeeper

Reaction score
my phone has wanted to install the over the air update but doesn't seem to be able to. I rooted about a month ago.

Do I need to unroot to do this install?

I did search and was unable to come up with any detail.

Thanks much

OP
U

upjeeper

Reaction score
Yup, you sure can.

You didn't ask how so I'm sure you know how. :)

Yeah, I'm a jerk, wanna fight about it? ;)

How did you root?

damn... guess i should have been more specific...
i'd love to know how please and thank you.

how did I root. uh. crap. I transferred the "install.zip" file over and ran that. I'm not too swift when it comes to my droid.
is there more info that would help?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I asked about the rooting method because how you did it will tell me how I can help you get the update. :)

And I'm guessing the Family Guy reference didn't register, which means you're probably not a Family Guy fan, which means you have some taste -- I like that. :D So you have my apologies for any offense I might have given. Also, the more specific you can be about whatever problem you're having and what you want to get for help the more specific the answers can be and the faster we can fix your problem. :)

So you used Motocache1's rooting method? Link two in my signature.

OP
U

upjeeper

Reaction score
I asked about the rooting method because how you did it will tell me how I can help you get the update. :)

And I'm guessing the Family Guy reference didn't register, which means you're probably not a Family Guy fan, which means you have some taste -- I like that. :D So you have my apologies for any offense I might have given. Also, the more specific you can be about whatever problem you're having and what you want to get for help the more specific the answers can be and the faster we can fix your problem. :)

So you used Motocache1's rooting method? Link two in my signature.

ahh. it's all coming back to me.

1. did not pick up on the family guy reference, i tried to get into that show, but man... just can not do it. My wife may argue with you about my taste, being an engineer i tend to find humor in places I should, or not see it in places I should.
wasn't offended, i appreciate the attempt at humor. no worries at all.

2. Yes, I used Motocache1's methor to root, that is correct. Thanks by the way, I was searching and searching to try to remember how in the heck I did my room.

3. CURRENT STATUS - My phone (original Droid, running Froyo) appears to have pulled down the new OTA update, and is asking me to install it but when I go to install the update it reboots and goes to the install/reboot/etc screen.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I'm not a Family Guy fan but I watch it. Go figure. :)

Are you on 22D or 01B for FroYo? If it's 01B you'll probably need to update to 22D before the update will work. If it's 22D then the answer is simple -- download the OTA file manually, put it on the root of your SD card, name it update.zip (sound familiar?), then boot into recovery manually and then tell SPRecovery to allow update.zip install and then install update.zip (deprecated). It should install the OTA file with no problem.

Then to reroot you'll need to follow Moto's instructions again. No biggie. :)

OP
U

upjeeper

Reaction score
I'm not a Family Guy fan but I watch it. Go figure. :)

Are you on 22D or 01B for FroYo? If it's 01B you'll probably need to update to 22D before the update will work. If it's 22D then the answer is simple -- download the OTA file manually, put it on the root of your SD card, name it update.zip (sound familiar?), then boot into recovery manually and then tell SPRecovery to allow update.zip install and then install update.zip (deprecated). It should install the OTA file with no problem.

Then to reroot you'll need to follow Moto's instructions again. No biggie. :)

Thanks!

i'm running 22D

then i need to figure out what to do to make this thing faster. it's so horribly slow...

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Project Elite v4 seems to be running stable and is fast, if you want to try that rom. Its a FRG83D build. His releases always seem to be bug free.