Can I get a NEW phone If I get exchanged within 30days?

mark729

Reaction score
or I get a refurbished one?
I also have phone insurance.

I have a hot pixel and some backlight bleeding and uneven LCD layout.
so Im thinking about getting exchange before 30 days end.

Thanks.

Reaction score

Thanks.

You should be covered by their 30 day return/exchange policy. I had a loose headphone jack, and after they confirmed the issue, I got a new phone on the spot. If you're outside the 30 days it may be up to a manager if you get a refurbished one. Make sure to take in your receipt just for good measure.

Berzerker

Reaction score

Thanks.
You get a completely new one, right out of the box wrapped in plastic.

stanwelks

Reaction score
This is not true...I dealt extensively with VZW customer service on the phone. I bought a brand new Tour and it had a horrible trackball, and I tried bringing it back after two weeks and they tried charging me a restocking fee to exchange it. They claimed it was normal and did not want to do it. Bottom line is they didn't want to eat the cost of the exchange, the store manager later admitted that it was a problem but said he couldn't do anything about it.

I called VZW and they were only willing to send me a refurb and were only willing to send me a new one after the getting two other refurbished ones with faulty trackballs.

With as popular as the Droid is, I am guessing they are going to be stingy with sending new ones as replacements...

Reaction score
Considering I personally went in with a faulty device within 30 days and got a new phone immediately, I would say it is true. They will charge a $35 restocking fee if you want to trade models/colors and they don't feel there is a hardware issue. Maybe you should be more adamant while in the store? They will tell you things just to make you go away sometimes. I've been guilty of this while working in the customer service industry ;)

stanwelks

Reaction score
Oh my Tour was definitely faulty...I even used the crappy browser on that thing to take them to multiple web pages and forums discussing the problem...they brought out their technician and she said it was operating as it should. I demonstrated how poorly it was working and asked them if they really expected for me to believe that it was working the way it was supposed to and the tech put her head down and smiled.

Bottom line, I got screwed, so I'm just saying be prepared, I will if I ever have to again...this whole thing resulted in hours and hours of being on the phone with VZW and I had been with them since 1999. The Droid is the only thing that kept me from leaving...

Reaction score
Back when I first got my Voyager from Verizon, they kept charging me for a service I never used (Vcast pack, $15/month) So once a month for 5 months I would have to call up to get the charge removed, each time hearing oh, sorry sir, this is the last time you will ever see this on your bill. *rolls eyes* I eventually had enough, sent a well written complaint letter not only for the constant charges of a service that I didn't use (even on the 2nd month of calling them, I requested they disable all data capabilities from the phone remotely as I had already done everything possible on my end), but for lack of customer service. I explained that I will not pay my monthly bill until the issue is resolved. To my surprise, I got a quick email back, and they gave me a $80 in credit towards my bills, and even a follow up email a month later to confirm the issue was resolved. Now THAT is customer service!

To sum up, send a well written complaint, and the customer service is fantastic. At that time I hated Verizon, but ever since, customer service has been fantastic via email and in store. I guess you just ran in to some crappy employees.

stanwelks

Reaction score
I was absolutely shocked at how poorly I was treated.

- The employees at the store straight up lied and cheated me.
- The employees at VZW customer service were not willing to do anything. I asked to speak to managers, and went to three layers of managers and spent hours on the phone and they just didn't care....they sent me THREE refurbished Tours, and they promised each time that the trackball would work and it didn't! i spent hours reconfiguring each one and sending them back, etc.

Right before I bought my Droid I looked into ways to get out of my contract and I googled other people's complaints to see if I was alone in this, and I found lots of similar issues. I got some upper management's email addresses and was going to write a letter, though I never did....seriously, I was so pissed and frustrated, I just sort of gave in...this is very telling about how much I like the Droid to have stayed with these f@#ks.

OP
M

mark729

Reaction score
I just came back to Verizon wireless store.
they said that I will get a new one by fedex tomorrow. so I asked him that make sure I get a new one not a refurbished one, he said yes they will send a new phone.
He said that they dont have droid in stock so I will get it by mail. actually I dont believe it.
anyway we will see tommorow. If I got a refurbished one I will get there to get a new phone. cause I'm still in 30 days.

Last edited:
OP
M

mark729

Reaction score
They sent a like new certified droid. 39/09.
Damn I'm so loving it :mad:

stanwelks

Reaction score
Yup, that was what I was trying to warn you about. As long as it works fine it shouldn't matter, though it sucks buying a new phone and having to get a refurb as a replacement for some problem that is not your fault.

OP
M

mark729

Reaction score
My second one which is refurbished has also dead pixel and some other problem.
I'm thinking about stop by other VZ store or direct call to customer service tomorrow.

xjman349

Reaction score
If you were still in the first thirty days the system will automatically process a DOA. IF you are in the first thirty day and they are sending you out a new device there is a way to know if they are sending you a New phone or a refurbished. If you are having a new phone sent they will charge you what you paid for the phone again. If you aren't charged you arent getting a new phone. Once they receive your old phone back the credit is applied back to your account of how you paid. Does this make sense. I am trying to explain but it seems a bit confusing even me reading it.

Reaction score
XJman, it makes sense. I had to replace my phone due to a loose headphone jack and I was curious why on the receipt it showed 299 then minus another 299, but I guess you explained it for me :) Must be for inventory reasons.

OP
M

mark729

Reaction score
so you mean that If I get a new phone for replacement, I get charged for it?

If you were still in the first thirty days the system will automatically process a DOA. IF you are in the first thirty day and they are sending you out a new device there is a way to know if they are sending you a New phone or a refurbished. If you are having a new phone sent they will charge you what you paid for the phone again. If you aren't charged you arent getting a new phone. Once they receive your old phone back the credit is applied back to your account of how you paid. Does this make sense. I am trying to explain but it seems a bit confusing even me reading it.

OH now I think I understand.
So once they charge me for getting me a new phone replacement then they will give back credit after they get my old droid back. right? :icon_ banana:

Last edited: