can google contacts reflect droid contacts?

latheluvable

Reaction score
i know i can add contacts to my phone and they show up in google - but my google contacts are all over the place! (3 entries for abigail, when they all should be combined into one; someone email address and phone number showing as 2 different contacts; etc.)

is there a way to sync so that what's in gmail reflects the cleaner version of my contacts set up in my phone?

thanks!

adsfa34

Reaction score
a better option would be to clean them up in gmail. you can merge duplicates within gmail itself (contacts>more actions> find & merge duplicates)

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
what phone are you using? rom? stock?

were they correct before? have they always been wrong? did you input them wrong?

you've given us very little info here.

i had some of my contacts duplicate themselves when i moved to a gingerbread rom. but one fix and they've been right ever since.

also you can log into googles sync service and edit your contacts online.

OP
L

latheluvable

Reaction score
sorry, it's the droid incredible! and i'm pretty sure it was wrong in gmail - a result of years of using an account without cleaning up contacts. i guess i'll just attempt to clean them up in gmail as suggested. but as a rule - does the contacts list in gmail always take precedence? if i have two "alice walkers" and they are different in gmail and in the droid, which one syncs??

thanks for your responses! appreciate it.

adsfa34

Reaction score
it's not that gmail necessarily takes precedence... it's actually a two-way sync. but the "original sync" pushes gmail's contacts to your phone (since in the beginning your phone contacts would be blank), and then everything is synced from there. so gmail sort of takes "original precedence" but not afterward...if that makes sense.

after the first sync, if you add a contact to your phone using your gmail/google contacts (i believe on the DInc there is an option to add to phone contacts OR google contacts... i have the D1 but have helped lots of people with their DIncs) it will then show up in Gmail next time it's synced (usually within minutes).

an easy way of editing larger #s of contacts is to export your contacts TWICE ... once as a Google CSV and once as a VCF file. Store the VCF file and a COPY of the CSV somewhere securely (as a dual backup of the existing state). Then open up one of the Google CSVs in Excel and edit / merge the contacts that way. Then delete all your contacts in Gmail and start fresh with an import from the Google CSV you've edited.

*Just make sure NOT to modify the header row on the Google CSV (the top row in Excel with stuff like "name / phone number / email / notes"

EDIT: ***also ... as i mentioned above, there is an option on the DInc to add a contact to the PHONE or to your GOOGLE ACCOUNT. If the contact is listed as stored on the PHONE, it will NOT sync with Gmail. For zero discrepancies between your phone and Gmail, make sure that all contacts are stored using your Gmail / Google account, NOT on the phone itself (locally).