Can fake ratings get your app banned?

samadmalik

Reaction score
Hi. I am an android developer and doing very well on Google play. One of my app is very popular and has over 400 ratings. Can fake ratings get my app banned? Because I noticed that someone is giving fake ratings to my app. Contacting Google about this seems vague to me as they never bother to reply. Help

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

I'm wondering how you can tell they are fake and why would someone do that?

If in fact "A" user is using multiple names (user accounts) to give you a bad rating - it is they who would likely get banned, not your app. I don't know how you would prove that but Google has the ability to trace IP addresses if you are certain you can provide user names.

But don't holler WOLF.

OP
S

samadmalik

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply leshor. I can see on my developer console that all 1 star reviews are coming from same android phone. I am thinking to buy fake 5 star ratings to cover up these bad reviews. Do you think its a good idea?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply leshor. I can see on my developer console that all 1 star reviews are coming from same android phone. I am thinking to buy fake 5 star ratings to cover up these bad reviews. Do you think its a good idea?

In a word, NO. If you get caught you are the one in trouble. You should file a formal complaint with Google. They won't take something llike that lightly.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
-No you should not buy fake ratings.

-Yes you should report the fake ones.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
What CJM said... you can't control who rates your apps. And unless you have many Google accounts, how many 'fake' reviews could you do? So unless you are very bored and create tons of gmail accounts just to review your apps, don't sweat it...

annaharris

Reaction score
That's a nice idea to inform Google. Don't do anything with your own otherwise, you will get in trouble. Even so, we can't buy any fake rating for applications.

OP
S

samadmalik

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for replying. I have contacted Google.. Let's dee if they care to respond.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
That's a nice idea to inform Google. Don't do anything with your own otherwise, you will get in trouble. Even so, we can't buy any fake rating for applications.

...do you live under a rock? You can buy anything.