Camera Comparison/Tips/Complaints

Reaction score
Camera Comparison/Tips/Complaints - MORE PICS

Hi all, I am 100% behind the Droid but I have to admit I am disappointed with the Camera. With it's specs I was hoping to be able to dump my regular snapshot camera but that has not proved to be the case. Obviously flash based pics are weak.

I decided to do an experiment and take the same pic with my cheapo Canon snapshot cam and the Droid and compare. As you can see they are not wildy different, not as different as I expected anyway but the Droid pic is darker.

Anyone have any tips for taking better pictures with the Droid ?

Obviously it's slowness to setup and use is also an issue.

Droid Photo
Car_Droid.jpg

Canon Photo
Car_Canon.jpg

Last edited:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Whats the size of the Canon Lens?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe I'm shot but the Droid picture looks better to me :icon_eek:

OP
H
Reaction score
I am not camera expert, it's a Canon SD750, below is what is on their site.

I agree that the Droid picture is somehow more pleasing though it's still a little dark, the Canon one seems to have fakish brighter colors, it was surprising. Of course indoor pics are a different story + it took me 5 seconds to take the Canon pic but 1-2 minute of fumbling around for the Droid one :)

Image Capture Device Type
7.1 Megapixel, 1/2.5 inch type Charge Coupled Device (CCD)
Total Pixels
Approx. 7.4 Megapixels
Effective Pixels
Approx. 7.1 Megapixels
dot_line_sm.gif

Lens Focal Length
5.8-17.4mm f/2.8-4.9 (35mm film equivalent: 35-105mm)
Digital Zoom
4x
Focusing Range
Normal: 1.0 ft./30cm-infinity
Macro: 1.2 in.-1.6 ft./3-50cm (WIDE), 1.0-1.6 ft./30-50cm (TELE)
Digital Macro: 1.2-3.9 in./3-10cm (WIDE)
Autofocus System
TTL Autofocus

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
Yes, the Droid photo is obviously darker, but in this case, I believe it is more true to the scene. If you look at the details like the basketball net, you can see the details of the entire net. The Canon shot appears to have artificially brightened the image (probably to lighten up the van) and lost the detail in many of the surrounding areas.

When any camera phone can compare this favorably against a dedicated camera (and a Canon at that) I think we're doing alright.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
Indoor / low light is where you're going to see the dedicated camera really blow the Droid away. If nothing more, simply for the fact the the Droid flash is so weak.

I personally think people expect WAY too much from a camera that is built into a phone.

OP
H
Reaction score
Actually I think I expected a lot from a camera with these specs (in a phone or not), my goal was to replace my snapshot camera.

This thread is making me feel a lot better about the camera phone though.

Here are some inside photo's, with and without flash.

The flash picture is probably not the best since it's just some things on a wall from fairly close but Canon wins that one since the focus seems off on the Droid. With no flash I think you can again say that the Droid has the more realistic colors. Obviously with a further distance and flash the differences would be more.

Droid with no flash
Droid-No-Flash.jpg

Canon with no flash
Canon_NoFlash.jpg

Droid with flash
Droid-Flash.jpg

Canon with flash
Canon-Flash.jpg

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm really surprised at how your canon seems to make all of the colors kind of wash out. I expected the Droid to fail miserably against the Canon inside, but it looks like it held it's own.

The specs for the Droid phone really aren't anything special. Sure, it's 5MP, but that isn't really an indication of picture quality. The small physical size of the sensor (5MP or not) makes gathering light a difficult task. That's why low light shots are sub-par when compared to a dedicated camera.

FSTTYMS

Reaction score
Are you guys using the stock camera software?? Not sure if it makes a difference, but just a thought :)

OP
H
Reaction score
I am using stock camera software. I was not aware of alternatives for actually taking pictures.

GadgetRick

Reaction score
Now, time how long it takes for the Droid to actually take the picture vs. the Canon (flash or no flash)...

rastephens

Reaction score
I think you need to clean the lens on that Canon, those pictures look very foggy!

OP
H
Reaction score
Now, time how long it takes for the Droid to actually take the picture vs. the Canon (flash or no flash)...

I don't really need to do that. From "I want to take a picture" to "picture taken and checked" is much faster on the Canon