callers cannot hear me

eacmen

Reaction score
I got my droid a week ago and everyone that I call (including land-lines, VZ cell phones, and other carrier's cell phones) cannot hear me.

I called verizon customer support and they had me pull the battery while the phone was on, then called me and claimed that he could hear me just fine (I personally think he wasn't being entirely truthful). The tech recommended a factory-reset, but when I asked if my paid apps would be restored after a factory reset he said they would not and they would have to give me a credit (is this true?!?).

I have called my voicemail and tried to record a message and I can *barely* hear myself, unless I move the mic right in front of my mouth. I turned off voice privacy and tried the *228 option 1 & 2 with no change.

Has anyone experienced this issue? Any ideas? Is there a microphone sensitivity option that I am missing? I think I am going to the VZ store on monday to exchange the phone.

TIA for any help you can provide.

-peter :mad:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Bring to it a Verizon store and they'll probably exchange the unit for you. They'll probably do something about those paid apps too by giving you some credit or whatever.

OP
E

eacmen

Reaction score
After convincing the verizon tech that he was full of crap I had the phone swapped out today. What a huge difference! My previous phone was manufactured 40/09 and the new phone is 41/09. So far the only difference I can see is the micro sd used in the phone is from a different manufacturer (sandisk vs some generic brand).

Either way callers can now hear me, so I am happy.

:)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Wow, did not know that the new batch of Droids were out in stores already. Thought they all had the same batches from first shipment. Good to know that Droid "41" is working for you!

sundog1973

Reaction score
Microphone problems developing...

I am also having microphone issues during phone calls. This just started yesterday. So far, I have tried removing the battery, a soft reset, a hard reset, and reprogramming (*228 option 1 and 2), but the behavior continues.

It's definitely a software issue, because the microphone works in voice dialing, voice search, speakerphone, and various voice recording apps. The volume during a normal call, however, ranges from barely audible to completely silent, depending on the orientation of the phone.

I'm going to start removing apps and see if I can fix it that way. Failing that, I will return it for new hardware on Friday.

Anyone else having this problem?

OP
E

eacmen

Reaction score
That is *exactly* what my phone was doing. The only solution I found was replacing the phone. Let me know if you fix it some other way. What is the manufacture date of your phone?

sundog1973

Reaction score
I removed a bunch of apps and did another hard reset, but still no joy. I really would like to get to the bottom of this problem, but I can't be troubleshooting something like this for days. The camera is one thing...

My hardware is 40/09.

Kevin8se7en

Reaction score
I was experiencing a similar issue. They could hear me on the other end, but it wasn't very loud... they said it was as if I was talking softly.

I exchanged my phone on the 17th because it was severely overheating... I just checked and my new one says 41/09 and my wife said my new phone was "louder".

drewshaver

Reaction score
Wow, mine is 42/09, no wonder I didn't have any of these issues with call quality, gps, etc

sundog1973

Reaction score
Well, I have my phone mic working again, but I can't say what did it. Last night I removed a bunch of apps and did a hard reset, then *228 1 and 2. No change. This morning, I took it to the Verizon store, demonstrated the problem, and of course the rep had me remove the battery, put it back in and do a test call with her. Of course, it worked according to her. I immediately called a friend, who, of course, couldn't hear me. The rep then tells me I'm a 'soft talker' and tells me to make sure to adjust the in-call volume, which she boosts all the way up (and which I have done before), then makes another test call. She says she can hear me pretty well. I make another test call to my friend, and she can hear me! :icon_ banana:

A couple of more calls with a very helpful Verizon tech, and I was out with my same phone, and it has continued to work throughout the day with all of my calls. While it seems obvious that the in-call volume was the fix, I know for a fact that it was up within a couple of clicks of maximum all of the times that I have used it. I highly doubt that was the problem.

And, of course, I just tested it out while I was typing this, and the mic is 'broken' again! :icon_eek: FML. I called my own answering machine, and and at a normal speaking voice it sounds really faint, but if I talk like Billy Mays (R.I.P.), the mic seems to kick in. Weird.

Verizon says they have no other reports of similar problems at this time.

sundog1973

Reaction score
Okay...sorry for the schizophrenic posting. I just remembered I installed an update to Voice Recorder by Momaru Tokashiki earlier today. This program has had a couple of updates in the last several days. Sure enough, I removed that app, and my microphone is working again. Looks like it was that app.

Any chance that was anyone else's problem?

rumisra

Reaction score
mine is 39/09 and people say they have a hard time hearing me. As if I am on speaker phone or bluetooth.

what should i do?

drewshaver

Reaction score
thought the 2nd page was the whole thread.. see u already tried 228, i would return and demand 42/09 or newer.