Calibrate Battery?

DamianD

Reaction score
What's interesting is that after a 5 minutes general power outage (when the charging was around 40% ) the rest of the cycle completed much faster - it reached 100% in 1h 55minutes. A normal cycle of 15%-100% always take 2h25-2.30 m on my Razr. So...it "fully" charged with an half an hour faster :confused:

p.s.: the phone also went back to 15% more faster than usual

shadowsjc

Reaction score
bump - if i calibrate my battery per the instructions (drop to 15%, charge with phone off to 100%, repeat), but then later on i swap batteries out a few days later (i have a spare that i use when i can't reach a charger), does that mean that the calibration will get messed up?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Great question shadowsjc. FoxKat would be the best to know the answer to that.

Paging FoxKat! You're needed in the OR...DF!

sent from my Note2 using tapatalk 4 beta

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
The answer is...well, probably. You see, when a metering system is calibrated to the battery, it's calibrated to THAT unique battery. NO two batteries have the same signature (maximum voltage at full charge, minimum voltage at the proper fall-off signature, discharge curve)...no two have the same capacity, even if off the same manufacturing line, no two batteries have been charged and discharged exactly the same way, so they will be at different points in their respective life cycles. Different variances in the concentration levels of the Lithium paste used in these batteries, varying thicknesses and levels of purity in the metals, varying levels of manufacturing techniques and precision, varying temperatures and humidity during the manufacturing process...the possible variables are infinite, and with each differing variable, a different battery is created. Take any two right off the line, place them on a battery testing station and they will produce different specifications. That's why there are "tolerances" such as +/- 5%.

It's really not much different than saying identical twins born only seconds apart, have virtually 0 chance of dying only seconds apart. Each twin will live different lives, eat (charge) differently, burn calories (discharge) differently, and as a result, one will die significantly sooner than the other. I know the analogy is quite a stretch but it's easier to comprehend.

Now, if you start with two identical batteries, and you use them interchangeably and always rotate them, always charge them in the same way, and always resume charging at the same point of discharge, they will tend to "moderate", becoming very similar in voltages and current capacities, and as a result, the metering system will be relatively accurate for both. On the other hand, if one is a standard battery and the other is an extended battery, all bets are off.

comk4ver

Reaction score
Thank you Foxkat, MD I'm juggling between three batteries and was wondering what to do in my case. (Verizon Galaxy Nexus: two standard and one extended).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I would do the calibration with the stock batteries, and based on the ratings of the stock versus extended battery (mAh for each), I would simply find out how many more hours it should give me (i.e. 16 Hrs for 1,780 mAh vs 29.6 Hrs for 3,300 mAh), reduce that by 10% (i.e. 26.6 Hrs), and use that as my cutoff when using the extended battery.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: