Bugless Beast vs. ALL

Status
Not open for further replies.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
In the period between BB.4 and BB.5, I've messed with LFY, UD, Sapphire, and SS4.7. I was actually annoyed by some of these ROMs. UD was annoying just to find the correct download for and once I did, couldn't get it to install. LFY gave me poor battery life. SS4.7, battery and heat issues. Sapphire gave me the least issues, but I found it sluggish at times. Some of the "features" from these ROMs also bugged me. I didn't enjoy seeing developer's logos all over my notification bar. What I did enjoy were a large set of themes and in the case of some of the ROMs, easily customizable fonts and colors (although, some themes made tweaking these a priority).

BB.5 had a slightly more imperative installation instruction than the others, but if followed correctly, gave me a very friendly experience. After applying the redraw fix and the Search fix, my BB.5 has given me the most stable, the most reliable, and the most enjoyable experience. Sure, it may not have a lot of these customization features or the quick "reboot into recovery" built into the power button, but that's why I have quick boot/clockwork mod. My battery life is ridiculous. I'm sure that the idle power draw alone would last me days as I've had moderate usage (games here or there, web search, texting, phone calls) on my 1Ghz kernel and it will still last at least 24h. This is definitely because of the incredibly low power-draw during idle. Also, the themes for this ROM are plentiful and appealing, and Pete doesn't make an effort to place his logo everywhere.

Pete's BB is about creating a far more powerful, reliable, enjoyable, stock experience while giving us the ability to customize easily. If you want extreme customization, BB may not be for your liking, but if you want a better stock experience, BB has always been a great choice.

my UD just lasted 31 hrs without a recharge, and when I plugged it in it still had 5% left. and it was a 1Ghz kernel. so while i'm sure BB batt life is great, that doesn't mean no other ROM has good battery life. I never had issues with Sapphire either. Fast, good life no heat problems.

I agree that a lot of "errors" that people report with other ROMs are user errors. these "errors" are minimized (seemingly) in BB, because BB is just a leaked OTA, which has already been extensively tested for many bugs. if pete ever released a built from source ROM, which the way it goes may not be till 2012, it definitely will not be Bugless.

yahwarrior

Reaction score
UD is the best rom that I've run on the Droid 1. Pete's 0.5 was far from bugless on my device. Honestly Pete's roms do have a lot of fans but after waiting so long for his 0.5 rom they must admit that it was a let down.

SupAll

Reaction score
Quoted...

my UD just lasted 31 hrs without a recharge, and when I plugged it in it still had 5% left. and it was a 1Ghz kernel. so while i'm sure BB batt life is great, that doesn't mean no other ROM has good battery life. I never had issues with Sapphire either. Fast, good life no heat problems.

I agree that a lot of "errors" that people report with other ROMs are user errors. these "errors" are minimized (seemingly) in BB, because BB is just a leaked OTA, which has already been extensively tested for many bugs. if pete ever released a built from source ROM, which the way it goes may not be till 2012, it definitely will not be Bugless.

I never said that no other ROM has great battery life. I couldn't get UD to install on my phone (tried it 3 times, but kept bootlooping), so I never could experience it. I'm sure I could make my phone last just as long (if not longer) if I waited to charge it at 5% instead of 20%, but that's not the point.

One of the biggest issues the recent BB release endured was force closes. This was the result of people not reading Pete's release info and installation instructions where people had to wait for the device to boot a 2nd time on its own since that would signal the completion of its automatic restore feature. There was also a Search issue that people were having, as well as an Audio issue. Both of which Pete provided a fix within a week of the release. Not too bad, imo. Bugless Beast isn't bug-less, just less-buggy.

I'm not arguing against the use of other ROMs. I encourage it. People ought to go and see what else is out there. I know that I've tried enough to know that BB is the ROM for me and I'm sure I'll go and try them again when there is a lull in BB updates once more.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Quoted...

I never said that no other ROM has great battery life. I couldn't get UD to install on my phone (tried it 3 times, but kept bootlooping), so I never could experience it. I'm sure I could make my phone last just as long (if not longer) if I waited to charge it at 5% instead of 20%, but that's not the point.

One of the biggest issues the recent BB release endured was force closes. This was the result of people not reading Pete's release info and installation instructions where people had to wait for the device to boot a 2nd time on its own since that would signal the completion of its automatic restore feature. There was also a Search issue that people were having, as well as an Audio issue. Both of which Pete provided a fix within a week of the release. Not too bad, imo. Bugless Beast isn't bug-less, just less-buggy.

I'm not arguing against the use of other ROMs. I encourage it. People ought to go and see what else is out there. I know that I've tried enough to know that BB is the ROM for me and I'm sure I'll go and try them again when there is a lull in BB updates once more.

that was my point. you bought up battery life and then talked about idle-power draw etc and i was showing you that UD offers the same thing. I didn't just leave my phone in a safe for 31hrs i was actively using it and it lasted me that long. the battery point is moot, because other ROMs offer great battery life (and I agree with you, that plugging in at 5% is irrelevant, I was just stating that to make a point).

and about the force closes on BB. yes it was user error. just like people having issues on other ROMs are more often than not, user error. the OP asked what would make someone who's happy where they're at, switch to BB. My answer was that nothing would. BB offers nothing over any other ROM.

OP
Z

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
I will relent that my first 48 hours of usage of CM6 were much like Sapphire in that the battery life seemed horrid and the Rom itself seemed sluggish. I put in some patience and gave them each a few days and lo and behold that is when the ROM's really opened up. I can now get 2 full days easily out of one charge with moderate usage.

I imagine that a lot of BB users are impatient with other ROM's in this regard because being a verizon built ROM, BB gives quick feedback on what battery life is going to be like and how stable since there really is not a lot of difference between the OTA that was likely on the system before. Correct me if I am wrong and this is just an observation.

RobStemen

Reaction score
By the way guys, it's not really a big deal if it takes so long to upgrade to the next version of a custom ROM. CyanogenMod which is my prefered ROM takes QUITE some time to upgrade, WEEKS, MONTHS, dare I say half a YEAR!!!. But the upgrades keep me coming and I never complain.

I seen a lot of you guys hate on Pete for the last, I dunno, 2-3 months? Why such a desire to upgrade? What did you benefit now that you upgraded? Was it as special as you thought it was other than upgrading some firmware?

A lot of you moved on to other ROM's and thank goodness cause there's a lot of good developers out there like Pete. I would like to pose to you all this: What reason should a dedicated user [like me] of a crazy amount of ROM's use to decide to use Bugless Beast????

Please relate to me in detail or give me instructions to once and for all proclaim Bugless Beast the King of Kings.
1. Faster ROM , with less bugs.
2. More fans than any other.
When 928Droid finally releases a theme for BB version zero point five , it will be a prefect UI experience . My $0.2

$0.02* 10chars

winner00

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
The "It just works" deal is just annoying. It is a glorified stock build ffs. Most of his tweaks are either in other roms, or are worthless.

Pete was just in the right place at the right time, and has a pretty big fan base with a good bit of fanboiis who will defend it's "simpleness" at no matter the cost.

And when people say that other roms have problems. Wewh. Every thought of user error? Just as many people have problems with BB as they do other roms. It's not the roms fault, but more the fact that people just don't understand what they are doing.

If you are happy where you are at, there is absolutely nothing BB offers over any other roms.
I totally agree with this. I am running the latest CM6 nightly and will never go back. It fast and stable and has more features then any other ROM.

SupAll

Reaction score
that was my point. you bought up battery life and then talked about idle-power draw etc and i was showing you that UD offers the same thing. I didn't just leave my phone in a safe for 31hrs i was actively using it and it lasted me that long. the battery point is moot, because other ROMs offer great battery life (and I agree with you, that plugging in at 5% is irrelevant, I was just stating that to make a point).

and about the force closes on BB. yes it was user error. just like people having issues on other ROMs are more often than not, user error. the OP asked what would make someone who's happy where they're at, switch to BB. My answer was that nothing would. BB offers nothing over any other ROM.

Then let me add that one of the features I found interesting with Pete's ROM was how he moved the default apps to the data partition's folder, allowing us to easily uninstall them from the Applications Management menu if we so desired. I also enjoyed seeing SetCPU become unnecessary as BB automatically detects the minimum and maximum speeds of a kernel and sets the overclocking accordingly. It also lets -cpuinfo detect all of the governors of said kernel, and gives you the option of setting the interactive governor if the kernel supports it via -cpuia script. And what about his $3 worth of apps that he offered for free in his ROM that makes things a little easier (not a whole lot, and hardly game changing)?

I mean, if you really want to know the features of the ROM and compare it to the others, just look at the changelog and Pete's release info on his site and form your own opinions. I mean, this whole BB vs ALL thing is a little ridiculous. I'm sure every ROM has its feature set that makes it appealing. BB isn't the King of ROMs, but I wouldn't crown any ROM the King of anything.

If being a BB user makes you look at me like an idiot, then so be it. I'm a BB user because I can still customize what I want without waiting for someone to do it for me because it is an enhanced stock rom and not source-built. BB is a ROM that gives an enjoyable experience without doing anything drastic and I'm sure Pete will continue to add things that would improve that experience.

droidman101

Reaction score
ok of all you guys said these were the pluses to the roms:
1. fans-obviously wrong, why back in the day no one had ANY fans, but look where they are now!
2. speed-depends largely on kernel, clock speed, your phone, not just the rom
3. options-if youre a complete idiot, you cant use these quite easily with no help
4. battery life-as subjective as speed

so yeah, if youre too idiotic to know how to use options in other roms, go ahead, use bb, the other devs usually like it better when they dont get asked how to get out of a bootloop every 5 seconds.

if youre smart enough, you use source-based roms with many different features, at times theyre faster, at times they have better battery life, but battery life and speed depend on youre phone and its kernel

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

Then let me add that one of the features I found interesting with Pete's ROM was how he moved the default apps to the data partition's folder, allowing us to easily uninstall them from the Applications Management menu if we so desired. Scripts do this same thing, and do not fill the /data partition up. Also, typing a few words into the terminal to get rid of several apps instead of having to go through menu after menu can be seen as easier. I also enjoyed seeing SetCPU become unnecessary as BB automatically detects the minimum and maximum speeds of a kernel and sets the overclocking accordingly. It also lets -cpuinfo detect all of the governors of said kernel, and gives you the option of setting the interactive governor if the kernel supports it via -cpuia script. Many roms do this, and have GUI interfaces that allow you to make changes after the fact, instead of letting a single script do all the choosing for you. And what about his $3 worth of apps that he offered for free in his ROM that makes things a little easier (not a whole lot, and hardly game changing)? This is just retarded. I mean, $3 of his apps...? 2 out of 3 of these apps have 3 star ratings with plenty of 1 start comments, and the other is just as easily done through the phone app without having to add another app to install...

If being a BB user makes you look at me like an idiot, then so be it. I'm a BB user because I can still customize what I want without waiting for someone to do it for me because it is an enhanced stock rom and not source-built.How does being a stock rom allow for easier customization? Any stock build theme applied to BB will just be replacing BB files with Stock Froyo files. Also, other roms allow for customization of several aspects of the phone through simple menus in their settings. BB is a ROM that gives an enjoyable experience without doing anything drastic and I'm sure Pete will continue to add things that would improve that experience.
My thoughts are in red.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Then let me add that one of the features I found interesting with Pete's ROM was how he moved the default apps to the data partition's folder, allowing us to easily uninstall them from the Applications Management menu if we so desired. Scripts do this same thing, and do not fill the /data partition up. Also, typing a few words into the terminal to get rid of several apps instead of having to go through menu after menu can be seen as easier. I also enjoyed seeing SetCPU become unnecessary as BB automatically detects the minimum and maximum speeds of a kernel and sets the overclocking accordingly. It also lets -cpuinfo detect all of the governors of said kernel, and gives you the option of setting the interactive governor if the kernel supports it via -cpuia script. Many roms do this, and have GUI interfaces that allow you to make changes after the fact, instead of letting a single script do all the choosing for you. And what about his $3 worth of apps that he offered for free in his ROM that makes things a little easier (not a whole lot, and hardly game changing)? This is just retarded. I mean, $3 of his apps...? 2 out of 3 of these apps have 3 star ratings with plenty of 1 start comments, and the other is just as easily done through the phone app without having to add another app to install...

If being a BB user makes you look at me like an idiot, then so be it. I'm a BB user because I can still customize what I want without waiting for someone to do it for me because it is an enhanced stock rom and not source-built.How does being a stock rom allow for easier customization? Any stock build theme applied to BB will just be replacing BB files with Stock Froyo files. Also, other roms allow for customization of several aspects of the phone through simple menus in their settings. BB is a ROM that gives an enjoyable experience without doing anything drastic and I'm sure Pete will continue to add things that would improve that experience.
My thoughts are in red.

I was gonna comment on SupAll's comment, but you've hit the nail on the head.

Although I must say I laughed at the $3 worth of free apps...bwaahaha...first, this is not some awesome "feature" that pete implemented...any dev who wanted to could do this just as easily. second it's $3 of crappy apps hahaa...that gave me a good laugh, thanks.

SupAll

Reaction score
My thoughts are in red.

And if those other ROMs have it, so be it. I'm positive many ROMs have features that are shared with many other ROMs. And there may be some features that are unique to that ROM...for a short while. I tried Sapphire for a month, but I couldn't enjoy it as much as I ever enjoyed BB. It's a good, source-built ROM (I liked the boot animation), and there were things that worked and didn't work and it was the best out of LFY, SS4.7, and LithiumMod. It was smooth, but not as fast as I would like it to be (redraws were killer).

I mean, LFY had very easy ways to customize the fonts. SS has an awesome feature where the dev can push an OTA update to his ROM. LithMod looked nice. Sapphire was smooth. And BB? It's a beast of an optimized stock rom. And I get that you're a high-horse Sapphire user who has a vendetta against BB users and all things BB. But what makes source-built ROMs so superior that gives you and any other user the right to attack BB and its users?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
My thoughts are in red.

And if those other ROMs have it, so be it. I'm positive many ROMs have features that are shared with many other ROMs. And there may be some features that are unique to that ROM...for a short while. I tried Sapphire for a month, but I couldn't enjoy it as much as I ever enjoyed BB. It's a good, source-built ROM (I liked the boot animation), and there were things that worked and didn't work and it was the best out of LFY, SS4.7, and LithiumMod. It was smooth, but not as fast as I would like it to be (redraws were killer).

I mean, LFY had very easy ways to customize the fonts. SS has an awesome feature where the dev can push an OTA update to his ROM. LithMod looked nice. Sapphire was smooth. And BB? It's a beast of an optimized stock rom. And I get that you're a high-horse Sapphire user who has a vendetta against BB users and all things BB. But what makes source-built ROMs so superior that gives you and any other user the right to attack BB and its users?

I know you directed this to tanknspank but i'd like to comment on it as well. i for one am not bashing BB users. if it works for you, use it. if you're happy with it, it's your phone you can do whatever you want. but as far as this thread is concerned, I was just commenting on the question that was asked. which, as i understood it, was what does BB offer than other ROMs don't? and tbh there is nothing that it does. and as previously mentioned, the "tweaks" or "hacks" in this ROM that don't exist in other ROMs are useless (like moving apps to the /data partition). Sure you can uninstall them easily, but honestly are there a lot of people uninstalling Gmail and Youtube and Google Talk? If there are, I'll withdraw my argument hahaa, but somehow I doubt it.

BB is a good rOM, a great ROM even (since it's a modified OTA leak), but doesn't offer more than other ROMs out there, in fact often times it offers far less.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
My thoughts are in red.

I just pointed out things that you said were good features of BB where other roms do it better. I love how that turned into attacking. *shrugs*

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
CM and UD are the best of the best in my opinion. However I have to say that I feel like the latest release of ShadowROM 0.2.0 is unbeatable as of now. Never seen anything like it. Fast, stable, jam packed...

Thats my 7 cents...

Status
Not open for further replies.