Broke my phone and need some help asap :)

chomorro

Reaction score
I actually dont think it has anything to do with the rom but i figure you guys would have the most experience with droids not acting correctly :). (meaning rooted droids, not BB droids lol)

I installed and was running CM6 with Black glass rom and P3 1ghz kernel. Everything was running great.

Then today i went for a jog while holding my phone because i had no pockets. I get back and my phone is broken, didnt drop it or anything. The keys all light up, the back light on the screen comes on but nothing is on the screen. I know the phone is functioning still because i can still do stuff on it as if it was. Like boot to recovery, and unlock it. But the screen is blank except for the back light occasionally.

Here is my dilemma, i wanted to see if its possible to wipe and reinstall a rom without having access to the screen. But i dont think it has anything to do with the rom.

So i was going to go down to Verizon and get a new phone, but i cant flash it back to stock. Think they will even care since they cant see the screen either??

Need to get this sorted asap, being without my phone is like being without my crack :icon_evil:

Thanks for the help in advance.

BuglessFan

Reaction score
No expert knowledge, but I would not worry about it. My personal experience after going through a lot of phones on VZW over about 10 years is that they aren't hunting for excuses not to keep you happy and paying. If I were in your same situation, I'd return it as is, but others may have a different view.

OP
C

chomorro

Reaction score
Thats what i was thinking, but if it was possible to flash it back to stock without a screen i was going to attempt it.

Black_diamond

Reaction score
Well if you can get into recovery do a factory reset and try that..

But on the other hand i heard that VZW was giving out Droid 2's as replacements for the Droid 1 because there wernt any left. SO i would try my luck at VZW store..

OP
C

chomorro

Reaction score
Just got back from vzw. No droids in stock so im on the phone now for a warranty replacement. The vz rep said some people are getting lucky and getting droid 2 as replacements.

But honestly i like my droid lol, the bumps on the keyboard are strange on the droid 2. probably just takes getting used to, and no root yet either.

I actually ran quadrant on the one at vzw along side mine on CM6 with 1ghz. Mine finished the test wayyyyy before the droid 2. I was finished with the graphics test before theirs even started. BUT d2 scored 12** and mine 10**.

OP
C

chomorro

Reaction score
Well i will get my new one by friday. I didnt ask about the droid 2 but i guess we will see.

In the mean time if anyone knows how to flash back to stock with out a screen let me know lol.

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
A friend had the exact same thing happen to his after dropping it. Completely functional, except you couldn't see the screen -- just the backlight. If you hooked it to USB you could use ddms to grab the screen and see what was on it (which was funny), but not on the screen itself. We booted it to bootloader and SBF flashed it back to ESE81 (stock) just to be safe and that did not fix the screen problem (I didn't expect it would -- since the problem happened after a drop) but the flash did succeed and the phone was back to stock.

Phone wasn't under warranty or insured so he paid a cell repair place to swap the main board. They said it was probably the ribbon cable connector on the main board since the phone worked but just wouldn't display.

Good luck on getting a "2". If you don't want to have to worry about the warranty police tagging you for voiding your warranty, go ahead and SBF it to ESE81 and it will collect the FRG01B OTA, or just SBF it straight to FRG01B. Of course you won't be able to see anything to know it (and you won't be able to ADB it or ddms it because once you SBF it, USB debugging will be off).

Hope that rambling was useful in some way.

OP
C

chomorro

Reaction score
A friend had the exact same thing happen to his after dropping it. Completely functional, except you couldn't see the screen -- just the backlight. If you hooked it to USB you could use ddms to grab the screen and see what was on it (which was funny), but not on the screen itself. We booted it to bootloader and SBF flashed it back to ESE81 (stock) just to be safe and that did not fix the screen problem (I didn't expect it would -- since the problem happened after a drop) but the flash did succeed and the phone was back to stock.

Phone wasn't under warranty or insured so he paid a cell repair place to swap the main board. They said it was probably the ribbon cable connector on the main board since the phone worked but just wouldn't display.

Good luck on getting a "2". If you don't want to have to worry about the warranty police tagging you for voiding your warranty, go ahead and SBF it to ESE81 and it will collect the FRG01B OTA, or just SBF it straight to FRG01B. Of course you won't be able to see anything to know it (and you won't be able to ADB it or ddms it because once you SBF it, USB debugging will be off).

Hope that rambling was useful in some way.

Ahhhhh forgot about the usb screen shot tactic. I will search the forums on how to do this to ese81. Thanks a million :)

OP
C

chomorro

Reaction score
ok i having problems, I cant see a screenshot of clock work recovery 1.8. Can someone please tell me how many clicks to go down to hit install update.zip. Then how many clicks to go down to click yes!!! That should be all i need to get back to stock

Oh yea also need to know how many clicks down to get to wipe data and cache, then to accept it.

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
ok i having problems, I cant see a screenshot of clock work recovery 1.8. Can someone please tell me how many clicks to go down to hit install update.zip. Then how many clicks to go down to click yes!!! That should be all i need to get back to stock

Oh yea also need to know how many clicks down to get to wipe data and cache, then to accept it.

Let me SBF clockwork on real quick and I'll tell you... Stand by.

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score

Let me SBF clockwork on real quick and I'll tell you... Stand by.
I think these should do it for you...

[Edit: I'm headed to bed now. Good luck. Let me know if you get stuck. I've got clockwork on my Dev phone now so I can capture other screens if you need it.]

Attachments

• Wipe_from_Main.png
    Wipe_from_Main.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 247
  • Main_Menu.png
    Main_Menu.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 246
  • Install_Menu.png
    Install_Menu.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 303
OP
C

chomorro

Reaction score
Yes thats perfect, isnt there a "yes" button like 5 "no"s down to? If i remember correctly

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
Yes thats perfect, isnt there a "yes" button like 5 "no"s down to? If i remember correctly
Oops, sorry, forgot that part. From that screen you go down 7 times and then enter.