Brand new

estafusisx

Reaction score
Jest got an my incredible 2 coming from a D1 and I need to know what kind of hacking I can do on this thing. What kind of custom find do we have and are kernels an option?

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I *think* there are some kernels out, but otherwise (unless you're on stock 2.3.3 already), full root access with quite a few custom ROMs already out.

Alpharevx will get you s-off

This file will get you rooted with busybox (let Alpharevx install clockworkmod for you when it gives you the choice, then flash this file in cwm)

Once that's done, it's pretty much identical to flashing stuff on the D1. Occasionally you'll have something that has to be flashed through hboot instead of recovery, but that's about it.

But again, if you've already OTA'd to stock 2.3.3, you're out of luck unless you want to purchase a XTC Clip or wait for the devs to root 2.3.3.

OP
estafusisx

estafusisx

Reaction score
Crap. As soon as I walked out of the VZ store I saw it was updating but I couldn't figure out how to stop it. I KNEW should have stopped it... How is progress on rooting GB coming?

OP
estafusisx

estafusisx

Reaction score
Alright one more question lol what is hboot? I'm really surprised how different development seems to be between the D1 and DINC2

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
"Hboot is loaded immediately when your phone is switched on, and it’s mainly responsible for checking and initializing the hardware and starting the phone’s software. It can also be used for flashing official software releases, as well as a few other things. HBoot can be compared to the BIOS on a computer."

I'm not sure if it's the actual bootloader or not, or just a bootloader "menu", per se, but if you have the right kind of .zip on your sd card, it will automatically read it and flash it. It also has options to go into bootloader or recovery or whatever.

OP
estafusisx

estafusisx

Reaction score
Hboot is loaded every time you turn it on? And it can flash zips without needing a custom recovery? Seems like there's your rooting method lol or is that what you need s-off for?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hboot is loaded every time you turn it on? And it can flash zips without needing a custom recovery? Seems like there's your rooting method lol or is that what you need s-off for?

if you hold vol-down while you power on, it loads into hboot

Gotta have an hboot with s-off to do anything. Beyond that, I'm not sure of the difference in flashing a .zip in hboot vs. custom recovery. I'm a former Moto guy myself, so even though I've been HTC for awhile, I still don't have as good an understanding of those intricacies.

OP
estafusisx

estafusisx

Reaction score
Alright thanks for your help. I think it's gunna take a while before i figure this stuff out really well. I notice there isn't a whole lot of development going on for the DINC2 here at droid forums (compared to the D1 anyways) , is there another site that's more central to the community i can start to get involved in?

[X] DINC2 stock 2.3.3
[ ] OG Droid SS 5.4 - ChevyNo1 1.1 Ghz ulv
[ ] Moto Xoom stock

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
It'll pick up - XDA is probably the best bet besides here.