[boot animation] droid does plasma

bill12690

Reaction score
to the OP: never noticed the z28 in your phone until now. out of curiosity, is that z28 as in Camaro?

oh, and nice work sir

OP
carlz28

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
to the OP: never noticed the z28 in your phone until now. out of curiosity, is that z28 as in Camaro?

oh, and nice work sir

Yessir! I had a 1986 z28 Camaro that I turned from bone stock to a 540 rwhp drag car. But at that kind of power, things tend to break easier and can get really expensive ;)

LOVE this boot animation, looks and runs GREAT!!!
I do have one small request though, any way to get a blue version, understandable if it's too much time. But loving it in red nonetheless (just have everything else themed around blue). Thanks for all the work and time.
I can make one in a blue tint as well, but the only thing is that the background will be blue also. The series of images I made have a blackish/red background and I really don't feel like going back and eliminating all of that so if I do make it blue, it will end up looking something like the picture below:

001.png

I have one already made up in that blue style and the link can be found in the OP if you wish to use it :)

Btw, OP is updated with the alternate version with only the "DROID" used as text.
File size is ~5mb less that the original so hopefully that'll help out a bit!

rustynail09

Reaction score
Solid sir, Very solid, my recently rooted droid thanks you for your work!

pkdesigns

Reaction score
would i just download, change to update.zip, and install through a recovery? or would ROM Manager work? just put it on the root and select it in ROM Manager to install?

OP
carlz28

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
would i just download, change to update.zip, and install through a recovery? or would ROM Manager work? just put it on the root and select it in ROM Manager to install?
No, the files in the OP are just basic .zip files.
They SHOULD NOT be used in the update.zip manner through any recovery manager.
If you try using it as an update, I honestly don't know what will happen, but most likely it will say installation aborted.

The actual file, bootanimation.zip , must be placed onto your SD card first, then moved to one of two places.... /data/local or /system/media

bje1982

Reaction score
Stupid question but what is the best way to install this? This is a freakin awesome BA!

63. Download Root Explorer from the Market.

64. Download the Boot Animation that you want to replace the OEM red eye Droid animation.

65. Make sure it is named "bootanimation.zip" without the quotes and mount your phone and put the zip on your SD card.

66. Open up Root Explorer. Navigate to your SD card where the file is, and long press > move.

67. Navigate to data/local folder (not on your SD card, on your actual phone). You should have a "..." and a "tmp" folder. Paste/move the file to this location. Reboot.

this is not me it is taken out of matth3w thread
tag.png

Just curious.. Should there already be a booot animation in data/local ?

Edit: lol found it

OP
carlz28

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Stupid question but what is the best way to install this? This is a freakin awesome BA!

63. Download Root Explorer from the Market.

64. Download the Boot Animation that you want to replace the OEM red eye Droid animation.

65. Make sure it is named "bootanimation.zip" without the quotes and mount your phone and put the zip on your SD card.

66. Open up Root Explorer. Navigate to your SD card where the file is, and long press > move.

67. Navigate to data/local folder (not on your SD card, on your actual phone). You should have a "..." and a "tmp" folder. Paste/move the file to this location. Reboot.

this is not me it is taken out of matth3w thread
tag.png

Just curious.. Should there already be a booot animation in data/local ?

Edit: lol found it
The stock animation is in system/media and I think most of the devs put their bootanimations in system/media as well. But it is safe in either place
By default, there is no file in data/local but the phone looks in this folder first while booting up. So if you have nothing in there, it will simply look in system/media next.

But remember, if you put one in data/local and also have one in system/media, it will use whatever is in data/local.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can make one in a blue tint as well, but the only thing is that the background will be blue also. The series of images I made have a blackish/red background and I really don't feel like going back and eliminating all of that so if I do make it blue, it will end up looking something like the picture below:

I have one already made up in that blue style and the link can be found in the OP if you wish to use it :)

Btw, OP is updated with the alternate version with only the "DROID" used as text.
File size is ~5mb less that the original so hopefully that'll help out a bit!

Cool, that is understandable. I figured it would be a huge PIA. I'll check the one in the OP (is it with or w/o the 'Does'?? I would prefer w/o but either way). Thanks again for the time and work. Going to load it up in a bit.

bill12690

Reaction score

oh, and nice work sir

Yessir! I had a 1986 z28 Camaro that I turned from bone stock to a 540 rwhp drag car. But at that kind of power, things tend to break easier and can get really expensive ;)

thats awesome man.. yeah, the username made me curious.. I've got an 02 SS.. not even close to 540rwhp lol.

Macdizzledoo

Reaction score
Okay, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I have put the bootanimation.zip in all the places mentioned, and NONE of them make the boot animation change! I am either super dumb or I'm overlooking something super simple. Can anyone suggest anything to me? I'm about to pull my hair out lol.

bill12690

Reaction score
boot animation should be stored in /system/media

if its there, and named "bootanimation.zip", it should work. even if there's something wrong with the boot animation it should change the current one..

maybe try using root explorer to copy/paste it in the right folder.. easy as cake and works.

Last edited:

Macdizzledoo

Reaction score
I'm using Root Explorer and I actually didn't have a data/local or a system/media. I created those folders today, but after putting the bootanimation.zip in one, the other, or both, it doesn't change. I'm running a ROM from JRummy, would that be the problem? Can't figure it out! Grr.

ohioDroid

Reaction score
I just set up this bootanimation and it's pretty freakin' sweet.

Only thing I could say would be it'd be even sweeter if our good old friend the creeper Droid eye (moto droid, not htc incredible) was alive among that plasma :p

OP
carlz28

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'm using Root Explorer and I actually didn't have a data/local or a system/media. I created those folders today, but after putting the bootanimation.zip in one, the other, or both, it doesn't change. I'm running a ROM from JRummy, would that be the problem? Can't figure it out! Grr.
I'm betting you're looking at the root of your sd card, not the root of the phone.

data/local and system/media are definitely there, or else your phone wouldn't boot up at all.
When using Root Explorer, try going up to the highest level of folder possible, that will be the root of your phone. And in there will be /local and /system

You can do this by touching the link at the top of the screen that says "Parent folder"
Keep hitting that until it goes away. Then you will know your are on the root level of the phone.
Data will be 4 folders down. Click on data, then scroll down to local...click that...then paste your file inside there.