Bookmark order in Dolphin HD

kgundry1

Reaction score
I recently installed the Dolphin HD browser and the Bookmarks to SD app, and with some difficulty transferred my bookmarks from Firefox on my PC to the Droid. In the iGoogle screen (gmail account) on my PC the bookmarks are in alphabetical order (as in Firefox), but after syncing, on the Droid they are in what looks like a random order; it may be the inverse order in which they were originally created, but I am not sure of that.

I tried saving them to SD as an html file, and then editing that on the PC, but editing apparently corrupts the file (as a note displayed at the top of the file warns).

How can I rearrange the order of bookmarks as they appear on the Droid?

Ken Gundry

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Swipe the screen to the right to show the bookmarks and select the edit tab at the bottom then your bookmarks will appear and next to them is a pic with an arrow pointing up and one down and a bar through the middle push that and it will allow you to drag the bookmark up or down. You can thus put them in whatever order pleases you

OP
K

kgundry1

Reaction score
bookmark order

gflam,

Many thanks. It is very time-consuming since I have many tens of bookmarks, but that does indeed work. I still am puzzled that an html file in alphabetical order does not lead to a list in the Droid in the same order. I suppose it is something to do with the Droid's not handling folders; now there's an improvement that someone should address.

But how can people write software, which may work excellently, but omit to provide adequate instructions? I searched extensively on the internet for instructions (not only for this but for many other items of software), and they simply are not there. In this particular case, it is not at all apparent how to move the items. I am not a programmer, but I suspect it would have been easy to make that symbol on the right an up arrow and a down arrow with the word "move" in between instead of the unnecessary horizontal line. Then the absence of an instruction would not have mattered!

Ken Gundry

DucksDroid

Reaction score
I agree that it is time-consuming and wish there was a better way to sort bookmarks. They do have features of Dolphin HD listed on a website, along with some "instructions" (brief) about how these work: Dolphin Browser HD

On another website, they note that "Folder view for Bookmarks" and "Label view for Bookmarks" are coming in the next update: Dolphin Browser

That should be a big help in organizing bookmarks better. dancedroid

OP
K

kgundry1

Reaction score
Ducks Droid,

Thank you for your comment. Yes, I think in my searches I had found Dolphin Browser HD but looking at it again, I see that it reads like a list of features, not instructions on how to use them, and the sentence or two about moving bookmarks actually indicates that you simply drag them where you want them. Of course, I had tried that many times, and it doesn't work. The specific icon on the right of the screen is not mentioned!

Ken Gundry

FunkUSMCRet

Reaction score
I also installed DolphinHD and the bookmarks SD but for some reason it is NOT syncing anything... How did you get your bookmarks on there and to sync? Sorry if this question is posed elsewhere but I can't find anything useful to sync my bookmarks and REALLY this is one thing I need to be able to do. I use xmarks for all my browsers but I read that it's not a working app (or a bad one, can't recall).

Any suggestions or help is much appreciated!

Thanks

PS I also have my google bookmarks synced as well...

OP
K

kgundry1

Reaction score
syncing bookmarks

Well, I have to confess that I cannot remember how I first transferred my bookmarks from Firefox on a PC, except that Firefox stores the bookmarks as an html file, and that is the format that the Droid wants (but it loses the folder structure).

Having said that, if you have a file explorer on your Droid (I installed EStrongs file explorer but there are others), and can look at the contents of the SD drive, you need to know that <Bookmarks to SD> stores the bookmarks in a folder called Tunnybrowser/Bookmarks and that the bookmarks folder at the root of the SD card is NOT where they are stored!

Hence (I am guessing here), if in <Bookmarks to SD> you export your bookmarks, even if there are none, I think that the Tunnybrowser/Bookmarks folder will be created containing an (empty) html file whose name is the date and time. Then if by some method or other (wireless, USB etc.) you can transfer your bookmarks from somewhere else in html format to that folder, <Bookmarks to SD> will let you import them into Dolphin HD, asking you which file to import.

I admit this is speculative. I spent hours on getting data into the Droid and had to try many methods, largely by trial and error since decent instructions don't seem to exist (to the programmers it is all so obvious!), so I have forgotten how I did it (bookmarks, contacts, calendar, secrets, all requiring different methods).

Ken Gundry

OP
K

kgundry1

Reaction score
syncing bookmarks

The story continues, and since I am sure others have the same problem, or have solved it, I will persist!

If in Dolphin HD you arrange your bookmarks in a desired order (e.g. alphabetical), use <Bookmarks to SD> to export them to an html file on the SD card, and then look at that file with any program that will display it, the bookmarks are all there but they are still in the original order, not the order in which you have made them display in Dolphin. Also if you sync via gmail, the same problem arises. It seems that the rearrangement in Dolphin only affects the display in Dolphin, and re-importing or syncing loses the rearrangement.

Hence you cannot really use export/import or syncing as a satisfactory backup for your bookmarks. (Re-arranging my 50 bookmarks takes perhaps 20 minutes because you cannot move one safely except from the bottom to the top on the screen or vice versa). Editing the html file corrupts it so that you cannot re-import it into a Droid browser. Also I note therefore that if you import your html file into the original browser rather than into Dolphin, again the bookmarks are in the apparently random order, and that app has no provision for re-ordering them.

Has anyone found a way to preserve the bookmark order through a backup procedure? I think an ideal method would be to be able to import a simple text file (with some rules as to its formatting) so you could edit it as you choose. Perhaps one of the other browsers allows that ...?

Ken Gundry

OP
K

kgundry1

Reaction score
bookmark order again

With luck, the end of this! On another website, android-related but not specifically Droid, I found an app which allows bookmarks to be rearranged as you want, or, more significantly, in alphabetical order. This does it not only in the browser display but apparently in the actual storage, so if you export or save by any means and then restore, the order is retained. For those who want it, it is BookmarkSB and can be downloaded from https://slideme.org/application/bookmarksb. Whew!

Ken Gundry

soapy123

Reaction score
Dolphin HD Bookmarks Changing their location

Hi:

I went to the link shown below. They do show a great picture of what should be next to the bookmarks so that they can be moved.

The only problem I have is that the up and down arrow with the bar between in not visible/available on my bookmark page.

I am using a Samsung Vibrant. Everything else works but I do not see the arrows to move items.

Got any suggestions?

thanks

I agree that it is time-consuming and wish there was a better way to sort bookmarks. They do have features of Dolphin HD listed on a website, along with some "instructions" (brief) about how these work: Dolphin Browser HD

On another website, they note that "Folder view for Bookmarks" and "Label view for Bookmarks" are coming in the next update: Dolphin Browser

That should be a big help in organizing bookmarks better. dancedroid