Bookmark folder

tituswife

Reaction score
Trying to make a shortcut for my bookmarks. Three different apps do not allow manual creation, and they create a bookmark that doesn't work. Any ideas? Thanks.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

porsche996

Reaction score
where are you trying to put these shortcuts?? Are you looking for a widget that'll sit on a home screen, or just the 1 shortcut for a specific bookmark??

OP
tituswife

tituswife

Reaction score
where are you trying to put these shortcuts?? Are you looking for a widget that'll sit on a home screen, or just the 1 shortcut for a specific bookmark??

Put bookmarks in a folder. I have tried three different apps. They do the stock bookmarks fine. I have lots of bookmarks I created. The apps put a different url, not even an actual address for some of them. Therefore, it's pointless.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

porsche996

Reaction score
I'm not totally sure what you're end goal is, if you're wanting to put them in a folder to backup them/transfer them, or if you're trying to just group them so it's easier to find when you've got a ton of bookmarks.

I'm assuming you're wanting to group them, like how you can make folders in a web browser on your computer. Android works different...so bear with me.

Instead of "Folders", you have "Tags".

Press and hold a bookmark to bring up the menu uptions for it. Go to "edit bookmark". Press the "Add tags" button. If you've never used tags before, there won't be any showing.

Make new tags by typing in the box that says, "Tag name", and pressing the + sign next to it. Make as many tags as you want, and name them as you would your "folders" on your computer. For my bookmarks, I have "Sports", "Financial", "News", etc.

Now then...back to it. In the list below, select all the tags you want for that particular bookmark. This is where things are a lot different than on your computer...a bookmark can have several different tags. So when you sort by Tags, for instance, I can have my ESPN.com bookmark listed under both "Sports", and "News", if I want.

After you're done with all of these (have to do 1 bookmark at a time), go back to your "Bookmarks" in your browser. Click at the bottom of the page on the "Tags" (right next to the bookmarks). Now your bookmarks are sorted by category, and things are easier/cleaner to find.

I hope that's what you're looking for, but I don't know for certain. If you're looking for a way to backup/transfer bookmarks from your phone, I haven't figured out how to do that, yet...haven't really had the need to learn, either, so I'm not much help there.

OP
tituswife

tituswife

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info! I will try when I have time. I will let you know how it works.

Since you are smart, what do you think of Gingerbread? Is it best to wait, to see if it really is an improvement? Is it automatic, or do we choose when and if? Does it fix hardware problems? (phone will not shut off) Thanks!
Sent from my Thunderbolt

OP
tituswife

tituswife

Reaction score
Ha! Figured it out! Took your info re Tags, which you can't use on Dolphin bookmarks, figured maybe this app would not use Dolphin bookmarks. Created bookmarks on stock Internet, added to folder, set Dolphin back as default browser - voila!

Thanks for your help. I'm saving your gmail for future info. Have to figure out what the app wants!

Sent from my Thunderbolt

porsche996

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info! I will try when I have time. I will let you know how it works.

Since you are smart, what do you think of Gingerbread? Is it best to wait, to see if it really is an improvement? Is it automatic, or do we choose when and if? Does it fix hardware problems? (phone will not shut off) Thanks!
Sent from my Thunderbolt

I think the hype of Gingerbread far exceeds anything you'll get out of it... I've been using GB on my original Droid for months before getting my Thunderbolt in July. I've had GB on my Thunderbolt for a few weeks. But really, it's just another version of Android...a few different tweaks/fixes, but honestly, there's nothing magical about it... For the average person (me), there is no practical difference between GB and Froyo. It's just not that big a deal.

There was a much bigger jump from Android 2.1 to Froyo than there is from Froyo to GB. There were HUGE performance gains with Froyo over 2.1 on the OG Droid. HUGE. But very little, if any, with GB. I haven't noticed any performance gains on the Thunderbolt. However, the only problem I had with my Thunderbolt (restarting if you use the app-switch, press and hold the home button method), so I can finally multi-task easily again. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same thing as it was before.

OP
tituswife

tituswife

Reaction score
I think the hype of Gingerbread far exceeds anything you'll get out of it... I've been using GB on my original Droid for months before getting my Thunderbolt in July. I've had GB on my Thunderbolt for a few weeks. But really, it's just another version of Android...a few different tweaks/fixes, but honestly, there's nothing magical about it... For the average person (me), there is no practical difference between GB and Froyo. It's just not that big a deal.

There was a much bigger jump from Android 2.1 to Froyo than there is from Froyo to GB. There were HUGE performance gains with Froyo over 2.1 on the OG Droid. HUGE. But very little, if any, with GB. I haven't noticed any performance gains on the Thunderbolt. However, the only problem I had with my Thunderbolt (restarting if you use the app-switch, press and hold the home button method), so I can finally multi-task easily again. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same thing as it was before.

I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean by app-switch ...

My first was Droid2 with 2.2 (Froyo, right?).

Sent from my Thunderbolt

porsche996

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean by app-switch ...

My first was Droid2 with 2.2 (Froyo, right?).

Sent from my Thunderbolt

For Android, if you press and hold the "Home" button, the app switcher will come up, showing your last 8 apps used. It's the quick way to multi-task to jump back and forth between apps.

After the MR2 update a couple months ago, at random times, the app switcher would cause the phone to reboot. Really annoying...! But the leaked gingerbread doesn't have that issue, so I can now task switch quickly. I usually have 3 different apps running that I switch between (calculator, messaging, and a notepad) during my work day, so it's nice to be able to switch quickly.

OP
tituswife

tituswife

Reaction score
For Android, if you press and hold the "Home" button, the app switcher will come up, showing your last 8 apps used. It's the quick way to multi-task to jump back and forth between apps.

After the MR2 update a couple months ago, at random times, the app switcher would cause the phone to reboot. Really annoying...! But the leaked gingerbread doesn't have that issue, so I can now task switch quickly. I usually have 3 different apps running that I switch between (calculator, messaging, and a notepad) during my work day, so it's nice to be able to switch quickly.

I didn't know that was called app switched. Now I see. Thanks!

I use Swipe pad and Wave launcher to switch apps.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using DroidForums