Bluetooth A2DP auto connect?

sheriffwoody

Reaction score
Update... Droid and Gateway are working better today. I did a reboot on my droid, maybe that helped? Sometimes it still doesnt connect and turning off and on the gateway doesnt help, sometimes it does. Weird. I think it works better if I start the car first, then start the music, but not sure 100%

The Gateway plugs into an aux input for your stereo, either 3.5mm plug or 2 rca jacks.

I will report back and let everyone know how well or how bad the setup is working.

Atook

Reaction score
My Sony head unit sometimes misses the AD2P connection, but always gets the phone BT connection. I guessed it was an issue with the phones implementation of the AD2P.

I find I have better luck if I have music playing when starting the connection.

sheriffwoody

Reaction score
Yea. I think your right, the Droid is quircky with BT.

Update after a week with Gateway, connects about 90% of the time. Other 10% I just turn off then back on the Gateway and it seems to work. Sounds great!

A.Brooks

Reaction score
I have a BT A2DP receiver in my car and it works just fine, but it won't ever autoconnect. I have to go in to BT settings and manually connect to it. Is there a way around this?

The other issue I'm having is I have the same BT receiver connected to the stereo in my garage, and both of them are listed in my paired BT devices with the same name. Is there a way to change it at all so I can tell which I'm using?

Here's the BT receiver I'm using
Bluetooth to RCA, Fits ALL Car Stereo AUX IN, IPOD MP3 - eBay (item 270337523490 end time Jan-25-10 02:25:00 PST)

I'd like to know more about this thing. I know it says it doesn't enable handsfree, but I'm wondering if on the Droid it does allow for phone calls to come through the speakers as well. Seems pretty sick to me, and if it works with phone calls I'd be all about buying one and tieing it in to my car.

mek_man

Reaction score
I still have XM (I know this is so 2000ish) but stumbled across this topic. I currently have a BlueAnt Supertooth3 for my Droid. It is an awesome unit that I had prior to the Droid and works great with the phone part. Am also a fan of Pandora although Pandora was much better on the Pre as it let you go backwards and approve songs that you liked but were not sitting at the phone to approve, the Droid doesn't that I can see.

Anyhow, will something like this work through my stereo (factory 09 GM stereo with an input thing)? I'd like to not have to use the BlueAnt and just use car speakers without any cords hanging.

Thanks for any info.

It was a bit pricey compared to most other peoples solutions on this thread, but the nice part is I can track forward/back and play pause from my factory 09 GM stereo. This is the install I did. The nice part for me is that down the line doesn't matter which phone I have it will work in my car no matter what.

Here is a write-up on what I did in my 09 Saturn Sky RL.
mek_man Blog Archive no a2dp.. no problem? (part 5)

There are multiple parts to my posts.. feel free to check them all out here.
mek_man Car Mods

I have similar connect issues to the other members in this thread, but I have come to the conclusion it is the DROID sadly.. :sad:

Hopefully, 2.1 might rectify this or someone will come out with an app to scan and reconnect.

OP
Q

qoncept

Reaction score
I'd like to know more about this thing. I know it says it doesn't enable handsfree, but I'm wondering if on the Droid it does allow for phone calls to come through the speakers as well. Seems pretty sick to me, and if it works with phone calls I'd be all about buying one and tieing it in to my car.
It doesn't. Call audio still comes through the handset. I have Settings Profiles set up to default to speaker phone when it's in the car dock. Eventually I'll probably bite the bullet and get the hands free addon for my stereo but for now this works for me.

Wasson101

Reaction score
I chose this headunit:
Sony MEX-BT5700U Radio / CD / MP3 player / digital player

PROS:
It covers pretty much everything bluetooth wise, A2DP, AVRCP, Handsfree, phonebook transfer...

-Within 10 seconds of starting my car, both handsfree and A2dp are connected, once in awhile, (maybe once a month) it will connect only handsfree, but all I have to do is push the play button on the strereo and it usually reconnects A2DP almost instantly.

-Shows an onscreen display of your phones battery life and cell signal strength.

-Having hard buttons on the headunit to start/stop/fwd/reverse music is excellent*

-When a call comes in, you hit one button to answer, once the call is done, it goes back to whatever you were listening to before.

-You can transfer the phonebook from your phone to the headunit for permanent storage

-Stereo comes with an internal and an external mic, both of which are VERY GOOD, I've had NO ISSUES with people being able to hear me when placing calls through the stereo

-With this setup, I don't even have to take my droid out of my pocket if I don't want to, just get in the car, hit play, and I'm good to go:)

CONS:

-I do wish that my stereo would display track information on its display, I believe it is capable of it, but I don't think the droid outputs track info via bluetooth

-If you wish to dial from the headunit, you have to change the source from BT Audio to BT Phone, which means that you won't be hearing your music (Which is the desired effect, you're placing a call, you don't want to hear your music) the problem comes in after the call is disconnected, the stereo doesn't automatically switch back to Bt Audio. (I believe if you start the call from the phone itself it autoswitches)

-The backlight behind the volume knob is VERY bright, and there is absolutely no way to adjust it, even if you have the dimmer wire connected. I was getting blinded by this at night so I covered the offending led with blue fingernail polish and it solved the problem (and still looked good)

*Depending on which app you use to listen to media on your droid. After talking with some developers, I've learned that android has an issue of sorts with bluetooth controls, it doesn't always know which app to send the play/pause etc commands to. So alot of times you will hit play and you will have 2 media players respond to it. I use doggcatcher for podcasts, and they have circumvented this issue by having an option in the menu to "Bind to headset controls" which works great until I need to use another media player... then I have to go into the settings in doggcatcher to "unbind" the controls so other players will respond to the commands.

jefbystereo

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are any threads submitted to google's or motorla's site about this? I am still having huge issues with auto connect to my stereo. This seems to be a droid problem and not a BT reciever problem since it sounds like people with different types are having issues.

Dooley Noted

Reaction score
May I ask how you got the phone book to sync?

I have the Motorola Droid and the Sony MEX-BT5700U (just got the head unit recently)

Everything works fine EXCEPT the PB sync.

(Moto Droid, Android 2.1 OS)

When I try to sync the phone book (selecting the option from the Sony unit to receive PB) -- The Bluetooth connection closes (I watched the Bluetooth status screen. It goes from "XPLOD: Audio & Phone" to "XPLOD: Paired but not connected" as soon as I initiate transfer)

Thanks for any help!

Wasson101

Reaction score
May I ask how you got the phone book to sync?

I have the Motorola Droid and the Sony MEX-BT5700U (just got the head unit recently)

Everything works fine EXCEPT the PB sync.

(Moto Droid, Android 2.1 OS)

When I try to sync the phone book (selecting the option from the Sony unit to receive PB) -- The Bluetooth connection closes (I watched the Bluetooth status screen. It goes from "XPLOD: Audio & Phone" to "XPLOD: Paired but not connected" as soon as I initiate transfer)

Thanks for any help!

Select "bluetooth phone" as the source on the stereo, hit the search button, you should have two options, bt browse and bt download, select bt download, and you may get a message on your droid asking for permission to send the phonebook... let me know if that helps

Dooley Noted

Reaction score
As I mentioned, when I try that - the bluetooth disconnects. There's no message on the Droid, because it's no longer connected to Bluetooth... :-(

Maybe I'll just manually put in the most common numbers I call....

Wasson101

Reaction score
I think you are using the wrong menu option, in a previous post you said you were using the "receive phonebook" menu item (which is accessible by pushing the main jog dial) when the menu I was talking about is "pb download"