Bionic Not Charging -- Suggestions Please?

dmbatcofc

Reaction score
For about two weeks my BIONIC is a hit or miss on taking a charge. Says the battery is charging, but it actually isn't. Today I can't get it to charge at all. I'm plugged in using the original charger, and I've tried my standard and extended battery, with no luck. Any ideas?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you tried other cables, or charged via PC?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yep, you need a new cable.. I've had this issue too. Is your connection to your phone loose?? Can you wiggle it quite a bit?

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

OP
D

dmbatcofc

Reaction score
Ive tried several chargers.... and my port wiggles.

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
I'm having the same issues... It's hit or miss with my Bionic. I haven't been able to charge it consistently for the past few weeks now. Sometimes it'll charge, sometimes it won't. I've tried 3rd party chargers as well as OEM chargers. I've tried charging it via wall charger and USB with my computer. I also have both the OEM standard and HD dock and now it's charging on the HD dock, but it won't on the standard. I've even tried switching batteries. Anyone else having this problem??

My351

Reaction score
I have had problems with mine not charging with the car charger in my truck, but haven't had any problems with anything else. I use an HD dock every night I am home, lapdock at work, and oem anywhere else, and they all work fine.

nomadh

Reaction score
Bent pin or cold solder joint in the phone connecter? Can it transfer data to your pc still? You may need to get an external battery charger then swap batteries into the phone. I wonder if anyone has had luck in fixing this type of thing. It seems to me that it would be too risky and Id go with the battery charger

wseyller

Reaction score
Try a battery dock. If nothing else works it would get you by.

Edit: i have tried to get 4 different cheap car chargers to work. All of them the connector is a little loose and you have to literally hold the cable a certain way near the phone. Verizon car charger works perfect. So maybe it is a cable problem.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

jmbmeister

Reaction score
Droid Bionc bent pins?

I am having all sorts of problems connecting my Bionic. It usually works on the dock, but any cable that I connect directly to the USB port has too much wiggle and will disconnect if not exactly in the right position. I contacted Verizon and was told that if the pins are bent, it is my fault and I will have to pay $200 for repairs.

Just an FYI....beware.

OP
D

dmbatcofc

Reaction score
Sorry Folks!

Sorry everyone, apparently I didn't subscribe to the post :angry:....

Anyhow....

Just as an FYI, I tried different chargers, different batteries, and data resets. None of these things fixed my issue. I filed an insurance claim and got another phone. I had a lot of wiggle, so my assumption is that I wore out the charging outlet and something came loose.

Hope this helps... as for a $200 repair: if you have insurance, the claim is only $100.

Otakulad

Reaction score

Anyhow....

Just as an FYI, I tried different chargers, different batteries, and data resets. None of these things fixed my issue. I filed an insurance claim and got another phone. I had a lot of wiggle, so my assumption is that I wore out the charging outlet and something came loose.

Hope this helps... as for a $200 repair: if you have insurance, the claim is only $100.

Something like that should have been covered under the warranty. Did you talk to Verizon before going through a warranty claim and is your warranty through Verizon? If so, I would call them back and complain that this should have been covered under the warranty.

@jmbmeister

I would have asked to speak to a the supervisor or at least a different tech. The only pins that I can see are within the charger itself. The charging port in the Bionic looks like a circuit board.

Last edited:

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
I'm not sure what's wrong with mine; nothing is loose and it stopped charging completely while on my Motorola standard dock. It won't charge in my car either, but it still works with my HD dock (for now). At this point, I'm just holding onto this Bionic till the RAZR HD comes out, I think.

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
I only had one instance after the 232 upgrade where my battery wouldn't charge. I turned off the phone, pulled the battery then reinstalled the battery and powered it back up. Haven't had a problem since.

jmason4438

Reaction score
Known issue at Verizon

Anyhow....

I was in my local Verizone strore with my second extended battery not being recognized, made two visits, on the first they reset the battery characteristics file and that fixed the problem for 10 minutes.

On the second visit they did further research and find that it is a known issue and is being reseaarched. I should expect a software update once they determine the cause. The battery shows with a ? in an empty shell and the phone says it is an invalid battery and will not charge using either the oridinal verizon wall charger or the car charger.

My standard battery works fine, so it is not an issue with the charging system on the phone it is that it looses its knowledge of the extended battery. The battery is a Motorola genuine.

This occurs under the current and prior Android version.