Big Problem Installing 2.1, I know I'm not the only one.

hatboysam

Reaction score
A while back I rooted my droid to install the European browser so I could get multitouch. Now when I go to install 2.1, the system check fails because of the different Browser.apk. Is there any way to undo this hack and get the old browser back so I can upgrade?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who installed the multitouch browser early.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

itwerk

Reaction score
Did you already unroot your phone before you tried to update to 2.1?

OP
H

hatboysam

Reaction score
No I didn't. Can I do this without wiping my phone?

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Not sure whether it will wipe or not, but you MUST unroot to install the official 2.1

OP
H

hatboysam

Reaction score
Can't unroot, trying to install the 2.0.1 update file that would unroot results in the same error as trying to install 2.1

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have only read bad things about DMUpdater. I seriously doubt I am the only person who rooted and installed the milestone browser (instructions here How To Hack Multitouch Onto Your Motorola Droid - Motorola droid multitouch - Gizmodo) Can someone else who did this help me out?

Let me try to assure you that DMupdater is probably the quickest and easiest way to go back to stock. I've done it 3 times. You may have to do a factory reset afterwards to get your voice capabilities back but that doesn't always happen and a soft reset does not lose your apps.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

jbrock98

Reaction score
What is rooting? Is it another way to say hacking? And is it something I should look into? I've got the 2.0.1version and I wanna update, where and how u guys getting the new update?

booknavel

Reaction score
2.1 update error, not rooted

My phone used to be rooted, but hasn't been for weeks. I installed the 2.1 update. It didn't give me error after installing. However, I obviously don't have 5 home screens and my gallery says is NOT installed. The firmware says it is 2.1. How do I fix this???? I know VZ will just tell to wipe the phone and start over.

OP
H

hatboysam

Reaction score
Ok here is what I need.

Can someone who has a stock 2.0.1 or 2.0 Droid send me the Browser.odex, Browser.apk, and libmtwebcore.so files. The locations can be found in the instructions to install the multitouch browser that I posted earlier. This would be GREATLY appreciated and should not be too hard.

MrKleen

Reaction score
I have only read bad things about DMUpdater. I seriously doubt I am the only person who rooted and installed the milestone browser (instructions here How To Hack Multitouch Onto Your Motorola Droid - Motorola droid multitouch - Gizmodo) Can someone else who did this help me out?

Let me try to assure you that DMupdater is probably the quickest and easiest way to go back to stock. I've done it 3 times. You may have to do a factory reset afterwards to get your voice capabilities back but that doesn't always happen and a soft reset does not lose your apps.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

There is no reason to do a factory reset if all you are missing is your voice capabilities when going back to 2.0.1 stock. Simply go to applications and uninstall google voice input, then restart your phone and all is back to normal.

MrKleen

Reaction score
Ok here is what I need.

Can someone who has a stock 2.0.1 or 2.0 Droid send me the Browser.odex, Browser.apk, and libmtwebcore.so files. The locations can be found in the instructions to install the multitouch browser that I posted earlier. This would be GREATLY appreciated and should not be too hard.

It would be much easier to flash a stock 2.0.1 update.zip from Sprecovery. Takes 3 minutes and you are back to normal stock. If you need the stock update.zip and don't know where it is, I can point you to it and help if you need it.

jimnutt

Reaction score
Or better yet, go to the droid hacks section and find a copy of the rooted 2.1 and install it. You'll keep root and have all the new stuff in 2.1