Better Keyboard and Full Internet Access

raethryn

Reaction score
When I first got my droid last week I downloaded and installed better keyboard. I found it was ok but not great. It had quirks like the T9 keyboard appearing at random clicks, some lag, and stability issues here and there. Overall I could use it after tinkering with the settings. I had bought it so I thought I'd just use it and hope the updates would make it better.

Last night I was reading comments as I updated other applications and found that this particular app may now have full internet permission. Being the paranoid computer security guy I am, I un-installed the application. I read over more comments that begun to appear about it having full internet access.

My question is can anyone else confirm that Better Keyboard does now have Full Internet Permission with the latest update? If so why would this application need it? If it doesn't, then how do we go about forcing it to change besides boycotting the application and getting word around to all users about the possibilities of this permission.

I'm not trying to troll the developer or being a bastard, but I have serious concerns about that sort of permission and its potential....

les017

Reaction score
Probably questioning the ability to have your keystrokes tapped/recorded/seen? If this is the case I would also be interested, even though I don't use BK

OP
R

raethryn

Reaction score
Yes what Les said.

I bugged the better android people and got this:

"it's for speech input, which needs to connect to google's speech recognition service. You are welcomed to put your phone on a private wifi and check the information, it doesnt connect to any servers except google"

Now I'm ok if it's just this but does it have the potential to do more?

Alcapwn89

Reaction score
Yes what Les said.

I bugged the better android people and got this:

"it's for speech input, which needs to connect to google's speech recognition service. You are welcomed to put your phone on a private wifi and check the information, it doesnt connect to any servers except google"

Now I'm ok if it's just this but does it have the potential to do more?

Ofcourse it has the POTENTIAL to do more, but are you really going to hold that against them? Potential?

It's either speech input or not, and if you want speech they gotta have internet. Simple as that.