Beta testing closed...download stable GPA14 instead

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Had a moment with the camera app, had taken a picture and was awaiting it to cycle that one to the small image area so I could take another and it hung on me, I ended up having a FC on the camera app, which I did, but it took a while graphically for it to clear out...

If anyone wants to try to replicate, please ... I'll be trying it later on today or tomorrow to see if I can get it again.

Just tried to replicate your experience - wasn't able to. Took a couple of photos back to back without a problem.

I haven't yet tried myself, but I'm sure it may be unique to each user as another mentioned. Each D1 loadout is kinda different .... I don't mind an occasional FC here and there, once in a blue moon kinda thing ... Will test tomorrow myself.

Batt life on the stock SV is about what I expected for it, I have not yet tried the LV 600 on mine. I'd say it is nice compared to what I would get on the 1Ghz kernals ...

I can get the same standby as pup, though on 13 I once powered down the phone overnight and when turning it on in the morning it was at 20 vice 100, but I attribute that to the batt, not the ROM (but thought I'd mention it).

something to think about in that vein, was thinking about replacing my batt, has been a year and a half, heavy use with ROM's, etc. ?If it doesn't hold it's charge overnight, might be a sign for replacement. so far though it lives on the charger overnight, and daily use is still good. :)

Last edited:

soccer568

Reaction score
I've been running beta 3 for a day now and haven't had one boot loop yet. Which is good because on every gb ROM Ive ran Ive had boot loops throughout the day. Cant wait till you release the stable release so i can clock my processor up to 1GHz. I don't like the unresponsive touch due to my phone only running at 600 MHz.

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score
One thing I'm experiencing consistently with GPA14 beta 3 is the touch screen sensor is off. Not only do I often have to double tap icons, widgets, and notifications to get them to respond but I'm noticing that sometimes when I tap something the UI seems to assume I'm trying to scroll more often than it figures out I'm tapping. I use chomp to search for apps and it shows results with the ability to scroll through them horizontally but when I click the "get it" button it tries to scroll instead of clicking the button. This happens on the home screen and pretty much any screen that is scrollable. It's especially annoying when using google search and trying to click links.

Hopefully these little quirks will get ironed out in the next release. Pete, are you planning to release a beta 4 before you officially declare GPA14 stable?

I noticed this scrolling instead of selecting problem on LP+ and it seems worse when you have the screen transitions set to flip or another transition than slide. I also noticed that if you long press an app to move it or trash it the screen jiggles as if it is confused as to what you want to do.
I did not notice this on the stock launcher and if it is a continuing issue on the stable version I would rather get rid of LP than be without GB.

I also noticed that the problem is really bad if you try to use the 3D app drawer in LP... it is better with the standard app drawer.

Last edited:

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
One thing I'm experiencing consistently with GPA14 beta 3 is the touch screen sensor is off. Not only do I often have to double tap icons, widgets, and notifications to get them to respond but I'm noticing that sometimes when I tap something the UI seems to assume I'm trying to scroll more often than it figures out I'm tapping. I use chomp to search for apps and it shows results with the ability to scroll through them horizontally but when I click the "get it" button it tries to scroll instead of clicking the button. This happens on the home screen and pretty much any screen that is scrollable. It's especially annoying when using google search and trying to click links.

Hopefully these little quirks will get ironed out in the next release. Pete, are you planning to release a beta 4 before you officially declare GPA14 stable?

I noticed this scrolling instead of selecting problem on LP+ and it seems worse when you have the screen transitions set to flip or another transition than slide. I also noticed that if you long press an app to move it or trash it the screen jiggles as if it is confused as to what you want to do.
I did not notice this on the stock launcher and if it is a continuing issue on the stable version I would rather get rid of LP than be without GB.

I also noticed that the problem is really bad if you try to use the 3D app drawer in LP... it is better with the standard app drawer.

Yes I've also noticed the jitter when trying to long press an app icon or widget to move it to another screen or to the trash can but I'm not running launcher pro I'm running beta 3 as close to stock as possible. The Google search auto-complete field is where I noticed the need for pinpoint precision on tap. Since I often hold the phone in one hand to operate it I primarily use my thumb to tap which works fine in Froyo but in the past few builds since GPA13 I've noticed this tapping issue more often. I'm not sure if there's a way to adjust it in the code but I would expect that there is. I might consider wiping everything and running this without custom apps and widgets for a while and see what happens but currently I'm using this ROM with the same apps I use on my primary Droid running Froyo just so I can compare how it will really handle when I do upgrade from Froyo.

hyperdude

Reaction score

Yes I've also noticed the jitter when trying to long press an app icon or widget to move it to another screen or to the trash can but I'm not running launcher pro I'm running beta 3 as close to stock as possible. The Google search auto-complete field is where I noticed the need for pinpoint precision on tap. Since I often hold the phone in one hand to operate it I primarily use my thumb to tap which works fine in Froyo but in the past few builds since GPA13 I've noticed this tapping issue more often. I'm not sure if there's a way to adjust it in the code but I would expect that there is. I might consider wiping everything and running this without custom apps and widgets for a while and see what happens but currently I'm using this ROM with the same apps I use on my primary Droid running Froyo just so I can compare how it will really handle when I do upgrade from Froyo.
Is this happening all the time, or just when your phone is plugged into a charger? I only have such problems with jittery touch interactions when my phone is plugged in, and the same goes for many others it seems.

Liquid Fusion

Reaction score
- apps work fine with touchscreen GPA14 Beta 3. My Droid was made at the start of the release.

OP
P

peteralfonso

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
There will be a beta 4, the issues we are experiencing are caused by the memory parameters being too low...back to the drawing board. Thanks for testing everything I am throwing at you guys, I really appreciate it. I am thinking about making a BETA folder on my server, from there you can just grab the latest file available (noted by its time in the name of the file). What do you think about this idea? I am constantly changing stuff so last night I made a script to run through my working directory, zipalign all the apps, update their timestamps and throw it all into a flashable zip, saves me some time.

Last edited:

vondruska

Reaction score
There will be a beta 4, the issues we are experiencing are caused by the memory parameters being too low...back to the drawing board. Thanks for testing everything I am throwing at you guys, I really appreciate it. I am thinking about making a BETA folder on my server, from there you can just grab the latest file available (noted by its time in the name of the file). What do you think about this idea? I am constantly changing stuff so last night I made a script to run through my working directory, zipalign all the apps, update their timestamps and throw it all into a flashable zip, saves me some time.

I'd be willing to test "nightly's" based on a timestamp as long as I wouldn't have to wipe data/cache every time. But from reading the thread, it seems like that it isn't a requirement as long you are coming from GPA14 build.

shiznit05

Reaction score
Beta 3 was actually working fine for me. The only major issue I've really had with any GB ROM has been with Exchange email shutting down. I installed this yesterday, and was syncing fine all through yesterday and into this evening... then I sent an email, then bam, it killed itself.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
...I am thinking about making a BETA folder on my server, from there you can just grab the latest file available (noted by its time in the name of the file). What do you think about this idea?...

Sounds good, whatever works best.

BTW: I'm trying to teach myself the Android language; I have some programming experience but not in java. I've read tons of books and countless forums and examples. So far I've written two apps and I'm working on a few other ideas. Are there any guides you recommend? Thanks.

OP
P

peteralfonso

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
New beta builds will be found here: Index of /bb/DROID/ROM/BETA, from now on lets refer to them by build date and time. All testers please flash the latest one available in this folder. Once again, more memory adjustments. This time there was a method to my madness rather than just trying random values. This will most likely be the stable build unless you all find something wrong with it.

Edit: Be sure it is around ~71MB, if not it is uploading.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
So far it's running great, no issues with tapping icons, widgets, etc. Even the auto screen rotation is snappier! Of course I'll keep poking and prodding it but as of right now I think if Google ever does release GB for the D1 it still won't be as good as this ROM!

rikerm8bhi

Reaction score
hey Pete in the changelog you said that you have added street veiw app its not in after i flashed rom i started my standard set up loading the apps and set up email the stuff i normally do after flashing a new rom and as i am writing this my droid is now but looping.
shutting off and on. i loaded up rom manager, setcp and beautiful widget.

rikerm8bhi

Reaction score
ok battery pull its working now it was this generic_sholes-ota-eng.pete.03-21-11_12:55:56am.zip

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score
Pete,
What recovery do you use/recommend? I have used SPR but switched to ROM Manager/Clockwork a few months ago to make it easier... I seldom use ROM Manager just boot into recovery and manually backup/wipe/install.
If you feel there is a difference I will use the recovery/process you recommend.