best way to get a d-3

ricpdjrr

Reaction score
Ok... I think you have convinced me to get the d-3 instead of the 4. I currently have a d-1 and can upgrade march-1.

I feel if I use my upgrade and get the d-3 for free ( if that offer is even still available) then when the d-5 or d-6 comes out with more significant upgrades I would have to pay full price or wait the 2 yrs and be into a d-30 or there abouts. I would like to take advantage of the significant lowered market value of the d-3 and would be ok with spending 100 - 200 on a used d-3 but am very concerned about getting a defective one if I go the ebay route.

Am I missing any options???

mikedyk43

Reaction score
Ok... I think you have convinced me to get the d-3 instead of the 4. I currently have a d-1 and can upgrade march-1.

I feel if I use my upgrade and get the d-3 for free ( if that offer is even still available) then when the d-5 or d-6 comes out with more significant upgrades I would have to pay full price or wait the 2 yrs and be into a d-30 or there abouts. I would like to take advantage of the significant lowered market value of the d-3 and would be ok with spending 100 - 200 on a used d-3 but am very concerned about getting a defective one if I go the ebay route.

Am I missing any options???

I was in this very same predicament not too long ago and here is what I did and learned. I knew the D3 would be replaced soon and did not want to use my upgrade on it, so I went the eBay route for a used one. First off, you are protected by eBay (and PayPal if you use it) against a defective phone from the seller, unless it is clearly stated that it doesn't work . Make sure that the auction says specifically that it has a CLEAN ESN. If it does not, it is useless and cannot be activated through Verizon. Here is the important part, READ THIS CLOSELY; when activating a phone on your Verizon account that was NOT purchased through Verizon, the mfg warranty is only valid for 3 months. So if you buy it used and activate it, you can still get coverage against defects, but for a very short time. If you go this route, it would be wise to get the additional insurance (Asurion). I have now had my D3 for about 4 months and had no problems, and I have my upgrade available anytime a phone comes out that I just can't live without.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Swappa has 3 available as of last night!

Sent from the best 3G phone on Verizon.

OP
R

ricpdjrr

Reaction score
I was in this very same predicament not too long ago and here is what I did and learned. I knew the D3 would be replaced soon and did not want to use my upgrade on it, so I went the eBay route for a used one. First off, you are protected by eBay (and PayPal if you use it) against a defective phone from the seller, unless it is clearly stated that it doesn't work . Make sure that the auction says specifically that it has a CLEAN ESN. If it does not, it is useless and cannot be activated through Verizon. Here is the important part, READ THIS CLOSELY; when activating a phone on your Verizon account that was NOT purchased through Verizon, the mfg warranty is only valid for 3 months. So if you buy it used and activate it, you can still get coverage against defects, but for a very short time. If you go this route, it would be wise to get the additional insurance (Asurion). I have now had my D3 for about 4 months and had no problems, and I have my upgrade available anytime a phone comes out that I just can't live without.

Thanks for the great info. Can I ask what you ended up paying on ebay? swappa has them starting at 210.00 . If I am thinking about this correctly....

I buy a d-3 now for 200.00 and save my upgrade. Then the best phone ever comes along and I use my upgrade and possibly spend 200.00 .

Sell the d-3 for 50.00

Now I have the best phone ever ( at least for a month or two) for 350.00 and if I had to buy it at full retail it would be 500.00 - 600.00

Sound about right???

I do not think the d-3 used price will drop significantly in the next 3-4 months to justify putting up with my now very sluggish d-1

Last edited:

mikedyk43

Reaction score
Thanks for the great info. Can I ask what you ended up paying on ebay? swappa has them starting at 210.00 . If I am thinking about this correctly....

I buy a d-3 now for 200.00 and save my upgrade. Then the best phone ever comes along and I use my upgrade and possibly spend 200.00 .

Sell the d-3 for 50.00

Now I have the best phone ever ( at least for a month or two) for 350.00 and if I had to buy it at full retail it would be 500.00 - 600.00

Sound about right???

I do not think the d-3 used price will drop significantly in the next 3-4 months to justify putting up with my now very sluggish d-1

I paid $300 for mine, but that was right after the Bionic was released. $200 is a good price considering that's what it usually costs when using your upgrade for the latest and greatest. I can still sell my D3 for over $200 and that would mean that the cost of owning this phone is still less than $100. Not a bad way to go.

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk

OP
R

ricpdjrr

Reaction score
Arrrrgg..... Just got back from the vz store. Finally able to compare d-3 and d-4 side by side. I liked the d-3 but I REALLY liked the d-4.... And to add to the delema the salesperson (I know... Very unreliable source) told me we could see 4g at the house by the end of the summer.

Starting to get sucked into the latest - greatest...

Still have 11 days to come back to my senses...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

mikedyk43

Reaction score
Arrrrgg..... Just got back from the vz store. Finally able to compare d-3 and d-4 side by side. I liked the d-3 but I REALLY liked the d-4.... And to add to the delema the salesperson (I know... Very unreliable source) told me we could see 4g at the house by the end of the summer.

Starting to get sucked into the latest - greatest...

Still have 11 days to come back to my senses...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Don't get sucked in! The D4 has more RAM and does 4G and has a slightly different keyboard, other than that, it is the same as the D3 (except for that whole permanent battery thing). Even though I haven't mentioned this yet, I'm sure you are aware of the Google-Moto merger taking place. The possibility of boot loaders becoming unlocked in the near future is reason enough not to enter into a 2-year commitment to a new Moto phone right now. Just imagine how pissed off you would be if you got the D4 and later this same year the D5 comes out with a super AMOLED screen and an unlocked bootloader. "Good things come to those who wait" and I suspect that this will be the year that this statement is truer than ever.