Best way to fully backup? (like iPhones/iTunes)

mrbofus

Reaction score
What is the best way to backup the Droid RAZR? With an iPhone, when you sync with iTunes, it automatically backs up everything, including apps, app data, settings, text messages, call history, etc...

Is it possible to do that with the Droid RAZR? I assume it has to be a third-party solution since as far as I know, there is no native way to do so.

I may have to return my Droid RAZR to get it exchanged for a new one due to the speaker not working on it, and I wanted to have a backup before I did so that I wouldn't have to redownload all my apps and redo all the settings for the phone and all the individual apps.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

SallyC

Reaction score
I use My Backup Pro. Pretty easy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

OP
M

mrbofus

Reaction score
Are the only good viable options paid? There is no free app/utility that can fully backup an Android phone like an iPhone? Kinda curious as to why Google hasn't come out with some sort of backup/syncing utility.

SallyC

Reaction score
My Backup has a free version. You can see if it does what all you need. I have the paid version but they both. I'm sure there others in the Market too.

OP
M

mrbofus

Reaction score
The free version of My Backup says you can only restore on to the same device, not another device.

SallyC

Reaction score
Ah - guess that wouldn't work for your scenario. Unless you see something else at the Market that's free you might have to pay a bit then. Or skip it and download the apps again. Personally I'd think it worth the money. Then you have it for the future too.

Sorry about your speaker. I saw your post but have no ideas about how to fix it.

jtpowell

Reaction score
This is a sore spot for Androids especially if you are coming from iPhone. It's not even backup up the apps it's the app data folks really want to backup because apps can be reinstalled. To get full backups of everything even you really need to be rooted and have something like Titanium Backup.

OP
M

mrbofus

Reaction score
Yeah; that definitely is one of the nice things about the iOS ecosystem...if you get a new iOS device, plug it in to iTunes, restore from a backup, and everything (SMS, app settings, system settings, call history, etc...) is restored and it's like you never switched devices.

Why does one have to be rooted to get a full backup?

jtpowell

Reaction score
Yeah; that definitely is one of the nice things about the iOS ecosystem...if you get a new iOS device, plug it in to iTunes, restore from a backup, and everything (SMS, app settings, system settings, call history, etc...) is restored and it's like you never switched devices.

Why does one have to be rooted to get a full backup?
Two reasons
1. Android as a platform doesn't have a desktop companion program.
2. On Android devices themselves programs don't have access to other programs except programmatically through intents. There are also areas of the file system like /data/data that you can't just browse to unless rooted.

OP
M

mrbofus

Reaction score
Yeah, it seems odd that Google still to this day does not have some sort of backup (either computer based or cloud based) system in place for Android devices.

Hmm. That's good (and interesting) to know about being rooted to do a full backup. Thanks!

jtpowell

Reaction score
Yeah, it seems odd that Google still to this day does not have some sort of backup (either computer based or cloud based) system in place for Android devices.

Hmm. That's good (and interesting) to know about being rooted to do a full backup. Thanks!

Helium is now the best way to back up. It doesn't require root but you will need at least 4.1