Best case/pouch for mechanic/dirty environment?

autoxinvr6

Reaction score
I work as a mechanic and I already plan to buy a good screen protector but I was curious of the best solution for dirty/rough environments. I had a body glove on my previous env touch but after 3 months it started collecting dirt and scratching the phone under the case. It also had wear spots down to the rubber...

I was thinking a gel cover and a nice secure pouch would be the best option...

Thoughts? Best holding/protecting pouch?

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
I work as a mechanic and I already plan to buy a good screen protector but I was curious of the best solution for dirty/rough environments. I had a body glove on my previous env touch but after 3 months it started collecting dirt and scratching the phone under the case. It also had wear spots down to the rubber...

I think a gel cover may be as bad or worse than the body glove type hard case. My wife has a gel cover on her Centro and keeps it in her purse. You wouldn't believe the crud that gets stuck underneath it.

I'd say your best bet would be something like the Zagg invisible shield that covers the whole phone. At least there is NO WAY for dirt to get underneath it. Then maybe put it in a pouch of some kind.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
until Otter Box comes out with something for the droid, you might just be stuck with something like the body glove.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com

Verizon Shell/Holster Combo, hands down the best for rough enviro.

Used it around die grinder, sander etc in my shop and chainsaw, wood splitter at home, keeps it safe and clean.

BUT, make sure you find a rubber plug for the headphone jack on top or crap could get down in there.

OP
autoxinvr6

autoxinvr6

Reaction score
OP
autoxinvr6

autoxinvr6

Reaction score
I think a gel cover may be as bad or worse than the body glove type hard case. My wife has a gel cover on her Centro and keeps it in her purse. You wouldn't believe the crud that gets stuck underneath it.

I'd say your best bet would be something like the Zagg invisible shield that covers the whole phone. At least there is NO WAY for dirt to get underneath it. Then maybe put it in a pouch of some kind.

Dunno how i skipped your post... The full body shield and a hard case would be a pretty good idea. That way the dirt that may collect, scuffs the protectors and not the phone... hmmm Would be hard to use the VZW dock though...

Maybe the Zagg shield and a pouch like my above post would be a good solution?

fujitsupalm

Reaction score
some case shops do offer a higher quality silicone cases, which may come quite handy for you. will try and look up and try to find the ones for you, i myself do not usually use silicone cases, but i have seen it somewhere.

will post you the link for it once i find it.

their material are usually thicker, which can take a few knocks better than the cheapy $5 a piece that you get at your local phone shop.

fujitsupalm

Reaction score
at those sort of price, for me, i would rather get a leather case for it instead.

I remember buying a similar build case from else where for my omnia bout a yr ago, and didnt' really like the way it added bulk to daily use of the phone.

I think that might be why i usually choose a leather case, so when i do use the phone itself, the case is not in the way.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
seidioonline.com
These cases are supposed to be SOLID. There is a separate thread and several people reported their phones dropping various heights onto hard surfaces (concrete ect.) with NO damage to the phone and only minor cosmetic damage to the phone.

I ordered a combo yesterday can't wait. The holster keeps the screen "in" for protection but their leather holster is supposed to be really nice. Search "seidio" with the thread search to find several forums. Haven't heard anyone not liking them.

Todd157k

Reaction score
I just got this setup: CASE+CHARGER+ACCESSORY BUNDLE for MOTOROLA DROID A855 - eBay (item 120509898655 end time Jan-02-10 16:29:23 PST)
and the leather case is really nice.. however the phone doesn't fit in the leather case with the plastic shell on. (little engineering problem.. doh)
So, I ordered these: LEATHER CASE POUCH FOR Verizon Samsung Saga i770 i-770 - eBay (item 180449089439 end time Jan-24-10 16:01:28 PST)
which is for the Samsung which is 4.88 in. long instead of the 4.6 Droid. It should fit in the leather case with the plastic shell on it.

lockman

Reaction score
I have the vzw hard case /holster on mine. I work with power tools, grinders, etc. every day. Zero nicks, scratches or anything negative yet.

fujitsupalm

Reaction score
This is the one for me i think, you might like it too perhaps?

to elaborate further on my earlier post.

I have just played with one of these which my friend picked up earlier than I did.

PDair Leather Case for Motorola Droid - Horizontal Pouch Type (Black) by PDair - PDair.com

He's pleased with it, and I had a good feel of it too, the magnetic clip is not putting the phone into dock mode, THANK GOD.

it's quite a nice fit, reason of choice is only because when I have to operate the phone itself, i like the touch and feel of the phone itself without added bulk to it.

when it's inside the case, it feels nice protected, besides the white stitching...lol, makes it look less boring, I will find myself uncliping it from my belt when i go out for dinner or coffee alot.:icon_ devil:

fujitsupalm

Reaction score
I am finding it hard to find that nice thick silicone case that i was talking about, last time i bought one was for my iphone, which might have had a little more choice on range of accessories.

I have purchased a few leather ones from this place though, and I have not been disappointed each time.
Motorola Milestone PDair Accessories, Zubehör, accessoires, accessori, ??????, ????, accesorios, Cases, Fällen, Étuis, casi, ???, ??, Casos, Leather Case, Aluminum Metal Case, Silicone Case, Screen Protector - PDair.c

besides, a little off topic here, nexus one is out today, might wanna check that out before i make a buying decision on either the milestone or the Gphone.