BB Tour -> HTC Incredible, need questions answered / general Droid advice

M.J.H.

Reaction score
Just a few questions and so there is no confusion I have owned:

1. Moto Droid
2. HTC Eris
3. Moto Devour

And then went back to my Tour 9630 and then to the HTC Incredible which I now have.

The questions I have are as follows:

1. Is there really any specific need for an "app-killer" type of program? This phone seems to have enough free memory to run completely fine without a memory type program right out of the box but I just want to confirm.

2. Is the Handcent Messaging application 100% ready to go at this point? I am using it just fine without any issue but I just want to make sure no one has experienced any bugs.

3. Is there anyway to turn off the left rocker volume up and volume down buttons? I find myself very often activating regular mode when I want to be in silent mode and vice versa.

4. On the HTC Eris you can change the bottom right button that is the "+" sign to add a widget or shortcut to your contacts I believe - is there anyway to do this on this phone? I could be thinking of a Moto Droid theme come to think of it.

5. What is the best lock program? I have the lock 2.0 program from the Motorola Droid that is similar to the iPhone, but sometimes it acts up and can be very annoying.

6. Has anyone determined the battery life compared to the Motorola Droid and HTC Eris? Because the HTC Eris was absolutely [/b]AWFUL[/b] the worst I have ever seen ever.

Thank you!

solorca

Reaction score
I don't have the Incredible yet, but there is a program called RingGuard that (assuming it works for your phone) has been great for me regarding #3. If you adjust the volume in any way, a screen will pop up asking you to confirm it. Unless you hit "ok", it reverts back to the old setting.

OP
M

M.J.H.

Reaction score
Thank you! So far the Ring Guard app has been perfect on my Incredible so I am now without the annoyance of worrying about my phone ringing in a meeting with a client.

But other questions I still have in addition to the ones above are:

1. What is the closest thing to Berry Buzz? Very often at work I will have my phone charging and I will look over to see if I have any new messages or emails and it doesn't seem like that's a possibility with this phone? I set my Handcent Messaging preferences to notify me but of course nope, nothing. Even the Moto Droid let you have a flashing light when you got a new message is this not available on the Incredible?

2. Is there a way to set autotext like a Blackberry where you can make mm for example spell out your email address etc.?

freddie

Reaction score
Hey.. Another BB owner who's considering switching. I have an S2, but I'm going to hang onto it for a few weeks in case I don't like my Android experience.. I'm picking up the phone in 2 hours for $450 without a contract, as I had renewed in Oct09 to get this S2

On Droids, are you limited to 160 character texts?

Darkseider

Reaction score
Just a few questions and so there is no confusion I have owned:

1. Moto Droid
2. HTC Eris
3. Moto Devour

And then went back to my Tour 9630 and then to the HTC Incredible which I now have.

The questions I have are as follows:

1. Is there really any specific need for an "app-killer" type of program? This phone seems to have enough free memory to run completely fine without a memory type program right out of the box but I just want to confirm.

2. Is the Handcent Messaging application 100% ready to go at this point? I am using it just fine without any issue but I just want to make sure no one has experienced any bugs.

3. Is there anyway to turn off the left rocker volume up and volume down buttons? I find myself very often activating regular mode when I want to be in silent mode and vice versa.

4. On the HTC Eris you can change the bottom right button that is the "+" sign to add a widget or shortcut to your contacts I believe - is there anyway to do this on this phone? I could be thinking of a Moto Droid theme come to think of it.

5. What is the best lock program? I have the lock 2.0 program from the Motorola Droid that is similar to the iPhone, but sometimes it acts up and can be very annoying.

6. Has anyone determined the battery life compared to the Motorola Droid and HTC Eris? Because the HTC Eris was absolutely [/b]AWFUL[/b] the worst I have ever seen ever.

Thank you!

1. As far as a "Task Killer" or "App Killer" one was NEVER needed for any Android device. You are far too used to Blackberry devices. This is a TRUE multi-tasking, modern, OS based on the 2.6.x line of the Linux kernel. Put the ATK crack pipe DOWN.

2. Handcent is as ready to use as it has ever been.

3. - 4. NO clue

5. Just use the built in security unlock pattern feature of the OS.

6. The battery life on any true smartphone will be less to a BB in general. That being said it also depends alot on your usage of the device. In any case with moderate usage and standard battery saving tweaks (turn off GPS, WiFi and Bluetooh when not using), lower the screen brightness, etc... You should have no real problem making it through a day. This applies to any smartphone. Not just Android based handsets.

Now the only thing that I find odd is if the Droid did not fit the bill. Then I really have NO idea what you expect from the Incredible.

Last edited: