Battery pull every morning

Reaction score
I only do battery pulls when necessary but what i'm thinking of doing is getting an extra battery and a stand alone battery charger. That way at night I can just charge the extra batter, leave my phone off charger and in the morning just switch out batteries to a freshly charged one. Is there any harm in doing it this way. My droid always works pretty solid and fast after a pull but I don't want to overkill if its going to hurt it.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There's ZERO need for a battery pull. Unless your phone locks up. Let it be, just let it be :)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No harm will be done. Someone in another thread was actually linking to a stand-alone battery charger being released soon. If no one else links it by the time I find it, i'll add an edit here.

I don't think they wanted the stand alone charger so they could do batt pulls... i think it was more along the lines of usage and battery consumption... so having an extra one makes it a quick change for a dead battery rather than having to plug in the phone and thus be limited to where you can take it.

It's not for performance... it's a matter of convenience. You'll gain no performance from a batt pull daily.

LordKastle

Reaction score
I was under the assumption he just wanted to make it easier so he'd always have a full battery.

Battery pulls very rarely will affect performance. Under the rarest of circumstances, maybe if the operating system has felt the negative effects of various apps it may be warranted and a benefit, but this is extremely rare. (So maybe it ACTUALLY DID help once...but this is irrelevant to the behavior as of NOW.)

Humans are creatures of habit. Once they begin to think that something helped them in some form or fashion (in this case performance), they become a slave of that habit and will ritualize it. They may even begin to buy in to the illusion.

We can see this in sports such as a batter going to the plate in baseball, or a basketball player about to shoot a free-throw. Rather than affecting the actual performance of the device, it is more about a self-satisfaction and performing a ritual for their own sake (in this case the mental relief that the phone is ready for optimal performance). This is only an illusion though.

So as we both agreed upon..while the performance will not be effected in a positive or a negative way.... There will be no harm to the actual device by doing what he suggested.

Last edited:
OP
O
Reaction score
I was under the assumption he just wanted to make it easier so he'd always have a full battery.

Yes this is correct, i just wanted it to be easier and more accessible to have a full charged battery in the morning. Really didn't intend to have performance increase by this but also just wanted to make sure I wasn't hurting my phone. Sorry for misunderstanding

bbtkd

Reaction score
I only do battery pulls when necessary but what i'm thinking of doing is getting an extra battery and a stand alone battery charger. That way at night I can just charge the extra batter, leave my phone off charger and in the morning just switch out batteries to a freshly charged one. Is there any harm in doing it this way. My droid always works pretty solid and fast after a pull but I don't want to overkill if its going to hurt it.

I just use the desk dock next to my bed. I have a fresh battery every morning and am not wearing out/loosening my battery cover by repeatedly swapping batteries. Computers often fail when powering off and on and since smartphones are just computers, you would increase the risk of a failure by power cycling daily.

Mayze

Reaction score
This isn't a blackberry. I don't think there is ever a need to pull the battery unless your phone locks up. Coming from a blackberry prior to the droid I had to do a battery pull daily because of memory leaks.

I haven't taken my battery cover off since I've owned my droid and it runs perfectly.

Laurence5905

Reaction score
I just use the desk dock next to my bed. I have a fresh battery every morning and am not wearing out/loosening my battery cover by repeatedly swapping batteries.

I do the same thing -- the Multimedia Dock has replaced the clock-radio on my bedside table. Drop the Droid into the dock, and in the morning when you wake up, it's fully charged.

A spare battery with a stand-alone charger isn't a bad idea, however, if you regularly run down the battery in places where you don't have access to a charger. You will not cause electronic damage to the phone by swapping out the battery. I personally wouldn't do it when it's not 100% necessary, though, because you will almost certainly loosen up the battery cover if you swap the battery a whole lot.

Keep the battery in the phone and charge it when you can. Swap to your spare battery only when you can't charge the battery that's already in the phone. That's my opinion...