Battery life

joshoid

Reaction score
I've been rocking a rotted D1 for over a year now. Original battery. It seems as of late I'm draining battery rather quick and needing to charge even mid day with minimum usage. Build FRG83D Mod version CyanogenMod 6.1.2 Slayher 2.6.32.9 kernel. I'm running Advanced Task Manager and Autokiller Memory Optimizer set on optimum. Shouldn't be many other running services. Any ideas on how to improve battery life? Also I noticed I can buy on Ebay batteries and battery chargers for the D1 new and pretty cheap. I noticed comments saying that depending on build D1 batteries aren't interchangeable?

Thanks for advice!

OP
joshoid

joshoid

Reaction score
Also what is the word on task killers? I have read mixed emotions about them....

Thanks,

juniorjwh

Reaction score
my personal experience, using a task killer gave me worse battery life then having nothing. And I have tried almost everyone one out there.
I'm running with miui 12.31 with a low voltage p3 kernel.

miui helped a fair amount with the battery life. But as soon as I changed to the p3 kernel, my battery life significantly increased. plus it runs very cool.

my opinion, drop the task killers, find your favorite rom, and play around with a kernel that runs cool.

but you know what the say about opinions.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
joshoid

joshoid

Reaction score
Any word on replacement batteries for the D1 found on Ebay or Amazon? I am wondering if anybody has bought them and how they work on the different builds.

Thanks!

Miniblue

Reaction score
Task killers are not needed. I'm running MetiCkOne's Mod and have good battery life. I did get a spare battery from Verizon for when I'm at the coast fishing and streaming tunes. I can confirm that the battery can be washed and dried and bang around in the dryer and still work fine.

Hope this helps.

Squadalah_man

Reaction score
mountain view, callifornia (home of google and the
Use juice defender with ultimate juice, its very helpful. Also I recomend you buy a seidio (not sure spelled right) battery for replacement. There is always a switchoff between battery life and performance, so you must find a ballance between them. Titanium backup can freeze services that you don't want running all the time that use your battery. Auto killer WILL improve your performance and if you use the profiles in setcpu advantageously then you can save even more battery. Swapper2 is also good to improve memory. You must take a combined approach when dealing with battery life.

Things that kill battery: screen, volume/music, cpu, mobil data, 3g, wifi, running processes/services, auto sync, background data, location, button lights, etc

Things that kill performance: low memory, slow cpu, too many processes, bad rom, too many internal apps, widgets

You will find that to find your ballance you may need to make sacrifices here and there.

I use shadow rom because it gives me so much control over moving apps between system/internal/ap2sd and also over most everything that has to do with the screen and lights.

This info should help a lot of people so copy it where you wish.

Squadala we are off!

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would check out sapphire or project elite...both good battery life

OP
joshoid

joshoid

Reaction score
Thanks much! I will continue to tweek. I'm really happy with Cyanogen 6.1.2 and really am not ready to change Roms. I did loose the task killer and already see major improvements! Autokiller is next on the hit list!

Thanks much all good information!

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Josh, here's my battery tips. BTW, they have been compiled over the past year and not all of them will apply to your phone.

1. (Doesn’t apply to all phones) Go to settings/wireless & networks/mobile networks/Enable always-on data. Uncheck always on data. Your phone will still receive email, text, & phone calls as before as well as internet usage but your battery will last a lot longer.

2. Emails: I don't know what email app you use, but try this. It saves battery power and in some cases emails arrive quicker. This scheme will have you using only the Gmail app on the phone for all email accounts whether they are pop3 accounts or Gmail. Go to the Google Gmail inbox on your computer and log into the Gmail account. On the top right of the screen is an option called Settings. In there is an option to have the Gmail program poll your regular, non-Gmail accounts. Provide the email address and the password. The Google Gmail program will then poll your other accounts on a frequency from 1-5 minutes and push the email immediately to your phone. The polling frequency is determined by each account's activity - more emails = faster polling. It will always be no less frequent than every five minutes. This saves battery power because on the android OS pop3 accounts are polled at a frequency of 1-30 minutes and that really eats battery. Because the phone goes and checks those accounts for mail whether there is mail there or not.

3. If you are using Live Wall Papers, stop!

4. Use wifi any time it is available. It uses a lot less power than 3G and it is much faster.

5. If there are widgets that automatically update (facebook, weather, etc.) change their update frequency in their settings menu. Set them to 30mins or 1 hour.

6. Oh, almost forgot, get the extended battery from Verizon.

7. Turn off the GPS unless you are actually using it. There are some background apps that can burn a lot of power via a live gps.

8. The Power Control Widget is a good tool for easily turning on and off some of these features (gps, wifi, screen brightness, etc.).

9. From the home screen do the following: menu/settings/About Phone/Battery Use. This graph will show the 10 biggest power users on the phone. It should always be Screen as the top user and the android os, android system, phone standby and phone idle should be the other top users. If there is an app listed you should determine if it’s an app you actually use a lot or do you have a rogue app that needs to be uninstalled.

10. Get Screebl. It will turn your phone off anytime you are not actively using it.

11. If you have either a task killer or an anti-virus app installed, you should uninstall.

12. Go to data>system>and delete batterystats.bin after you've charged your phone to 100%

faithmusic

Reaction score
maybe too many widgets???

Get rid of Advanced Task Manager and Autokiller Memory Optimizer, they are draining your battery. Look at Bayouflyfishers write-up in the following thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/113838-frustrated.html. Autosync, wifi, widgets, screen brightness, task killers and more all effect battery life.

I have the droid 1, stock, running 2.2.1 and Launcher Pro Plus. My battery life has been fine but I've been adding a bunch of widgets to my screens, which is every screen I have, and I've noticed my battery life is not happening. Should I cut down on the widgets? I am not running wifi and I've lowered my display. Do you think my problem then are the widgets?
Thanks.

OP
joshoid

joshoid

Reaction score
I would lose the widgets. I am curious how much they actually consume. You should check Settings, About phone, battery life to see what's consuming the most energy. Mine is display, phone and idle.... all my stats have just recently reset when I flashed to a new rom

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

kip256

Reaction score
for my Droid 1 I replaced my battery with the Droid 2 extended battery (made by motorola and sold at verizon/online). The extended battery comes with a new battery door that barely extends the back of the droid. I have had no problems with the new battery, just gained about 3 extra hours of moderate use per day.

Last edited:

iWordplay

Reaction score
I'm running SS 5.2 and at first battery life seemed awesome. Then I realized when my phone reads 50 % battery it'll drop to 20% in a flash. Is it just me?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums