Battery Life Tip

Prerunnerseth

Reaction score
My battery was dying so fast it was insane. Then I started to do some research. The default refresh time for the built in email app is 5 minutes. I have 4 email accounts setup. I changed the email refresh times to a more conservative 1 hour since most my emails are not time critical. Since then my battery is holding out much much better.

Go into the email app

press the menu button

press more

press settings

press on send & receive

press on set download frequency

change this to something more reasonable.

you will need to repeat this step from each of your email accounts

go to the main mail list in each account and follow the steps.

I'm sure there are similar settings for most the widgets/apps that update regularly.

jhencken

Reaction score
Bless you for posting this. It never would have occurred to me.

:)

RogerThat99

Reaction score
My battery was dying so fast it was insane. Then I started to do some research. The default refresh time for the built in email app is 5 minutes. I have 4 email accounts setup. I changed the email refresh times to a more conservative 1 hour since most my emails are not time critical. Since then my battery is holding out much much better.

Go into the email app

press the menu button

press more

press settings

press on send & receive

press on set download frequency

change this to something more reasonable.

you will need to repeat this step from each of your email accounts

go to the main mail list in each account and follow the steps.

I'm sure there are similar settings for most the widgets/apps that update regularly.

I also removed FB for HTC Sense and used the regular FB app. FB for HTC was not letting my device sleep. My Uptime and Awake time were almost identical. This increase my battery life significantly. Now my Uptime is 40 hours and my awake time is 7 hours. Much Better!!

sk driver

Reaction score
battery life

thanks for the info...i'll give it a shot tomorrow and see if I can make til after lunch before I need a quick charge

poopsicle

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip Seth. I adjusted two less-active email accounts and saw a significant change. Once email account was changed to daily downloads. I've been averaging 100% battery usage from 8-5pm. Today, 8-5pm, i had a little more than 50% of juice left. I did talk 30 less minutes today, but I doubt that would drop have drained my battery.

lizm

Reaction score
I also removed FB for HTC Sense and used the regular FB app. FB for HTC was not letting my device sleep. My Uptime and Awake time were almost identical. This increase my battery life significantly. Now my Uptime is 40 hours and my awake time is 7 hours. Much Better!!

How did you do that? I tried and it won't let me uninstall. (DInc).

RogerThat99

Reaction score

How did you do that? I tried and it won't let me uninstall. (DInc).

FB for HTC is still on my phone, it just isn't activated. There is no way to completely remove it from your phone. I did a factory reset and didn't re-activate it after the reset. I don't know if you can inactivate it without a reset. The reset is a pain, but what a difference in battery life so it was worth it. Good luck.

lizm

Reaction score
I imagine a reset removes all my data and apps?

I ordered a coupe of extra batteries, hopefully that does it.

Thanks for your reply!

SM.Redneck

Reaction score
You can also go to settings and set the refresh rate to NEVER.
It will only refresh when you open the application.

carmen1004

Reaction score
Incredible newbie asks about battery life

I read that I needed to go to the email app (???) - I use gmail... and go to "more". From there I was supposed to be able to choose HOW often it refreshes. I did click on gmail and looked under "more" and "settings", but I do not have the ability to have the phone refresh. Please explain... my battery works well sometimes, others, not so much. Thanks!:greendroid:

SM.Redneck

Reaction score
Sorry, I was thinking about the Facebook app. I do not see a way to disable the Gmail app, short of turning off all network and 3g. But I think the phone will automatically turn on 3g for gmail and some other apps, by default. I'm going to try turning this off and see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

SM.Redneck

Reaction score
Yes, turning off WiFi and 3g will disable Gmail and mail app from updating.