Battery issues...

Kolaz

Reaction score
So I've had my Droid since release and I am starting to notice some battery issues that I have started having within the past few weeks. I find that my Droid happens to get significantly less battery life. I usually get about a day or so charge out of it when surfing the web, calling, and texting at a moderate rate. But now it seems when I do these things, it seems to die much quicker. I will look at my phone and see it has about 40% battery life and then put it in my pocket. When I take it out again 30 minutes later, it is completely dead...

I have been very conscious about my battery as of late and have made sure to use ATK and keep my GPS and WiFi etc off and not run things in the background, but I can't seem to solve the issue.

Does anyone have any advice or can offer me any assisstance? It is quite annoying having to make sure I bring my charger along with me or simply hope it doesn't die on me when I go out. I know that smartphone batteries aren't the best, but this is kinda ridiculous.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I've had my Droid since release and I am starting to notice some battery issues that I have started having within the past few weeks. I find that my Droid happens to get significantly less battery life. I usually get about a day or so charge out of it when surfing the web, calling, and texting at a moderate rate. But now it seems when I do these things, it seems to die much quicker. I will look at my phone and see it has about 40% battery life and then put it in my pocket. When I take it out again 30 minutes later, it is completely dead...

I have been very conscious about my battery as of late and have made sure to use ATK and keep my GPS and WiFi etc off and not run things in the background, but I can't seem to solve the issue.

Does anyone have any advice or can offer me any assisstance? It is quite annoying having to make sure I bring my charger along with me or simply hope it doesn't die on me when I go out. I know that smartphone batteries aren't the best, but this is kinda ridiculous.

It's kind of tough for us to diagnose a battery issue. You should be able to see what your battery is using it's power on. What does it say in your settings/about phone/battery usage?

FWIW turning GPS off will have not save your battery life. GPS is not active all the time, only when you use it.

OP
K

Kolaz

Reaction score
Display 36%
Browser 16%
Voice calls 12%
Phone idle 9%
Cell standby 8%
Android system 8%
Gang wars 4%
Cnn news 3%
Android OS 3%
Android core apps 2%
Mediaserver 2%

13 hr 0 min since last unplugged. This is pretty darn good imo and usually doesn't last this long. Sometimes when I go to battery usage it tells me last unplugged 1 hr when I know I unplugged it at least a half a day ago.

Anyway, hope you can use this to help me. Thanks.

mjs31

Reaction score

It's kind of tough for us to diagnose a battery issue. You should be able to see what your battery is using it's power on. What does it say in your settings/about phone/battery usage?

FWIW turning GPS off will have not save your battery life. GPS is not active all the time, only when you use it.

Actually you can set wifi to that as well which is handy.

mjs31

Reaction score
Display 36%
Browser 16%
Voice calls 12%
Phone idle 9%
Cell standby 8%
Android system 8%
Gang wars 4%
Cnn news 3%
Android OS 3%
Android core apps 2%
Mediaserver 2%

13 hr 0 min since last unplugged. This is pretty darn good imo and usually doesn't last this long. Sometimes when I go to battery usage it tells me last unplugged 1 hr when I know I unplugged it at least a half a day ago.

Realize that plugging your droid into your computer for even a second will reset the plug in time.

Battery life is a funny thing. I highly recommend downloading, and setting up, screebl lite. It really comes in handy for it's main purpose of keeping the screen lit when you are reading things etc, but also for those times you forget to click it off. Other than that, I would question any new apps you downloaded. I went through a short spell where my battery died quickly as well so I went a got rid of several new apps and did a battery pull. No issues at all since. That was my only battery pull by the way and I got it on day one.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Display 36%
Browser 16%
Voice calls 12%
Phone idle 9%
Cell standby 8%
Android system 8%
Gang wars 4%
Cnn news 3%
Android OS 3%
Android core apps 2%
Mediaserver 2%

When you say 13 hours since you last unplugged I guess you mean since you took it off the charger. You didn't say where you were at as far as how much battery you had left at this point.

One of the things that jumped out at me was the lack of power percentage that the display shows. Mines usually around 50% or higher.

MrTommy

Reaction score
Well, my display AND phone idle are both currently 31%. But I just got up and the phone has just been sitting here all night, doing nothing.

OP
K

Kolaz

Reaction score
Well I have my screen on the lowest brightness setting, so maybe that's why my display is low. And the battery was at 5% when it was at 13 hours unplugged, it died a few minutes after I posted this topic reading the usage. Also, I know for a fact that I hadn't plugged it in at all when it said an hour off the charger, for some reason it just read it wrong... I don't know what the problem is or why its doing this... is there a notorious app that's known to drain battery power at a ridiculous rate? Or something like that?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well I have my screen on the lowest brightness setting, so maybe that's why my display is low. And the battery was at 5% when it was at 13 hours unplugged, it died a few minutes after I posted this topic reading the usage. Also, I know for a fact that I hadn't plugged it in at all when it said an hour off the charger, for some reason it just read it wrong... I don't know what the problem is or why its doing this... is there a notorious app that's known to drain battery power at a ridiculous rate? Or something like that?

The only way I know how you can check that out is to do a factory reset and then start adding apps back on one at a time. If it is a malicious app then it will show up. Other then that you may want to talk to Big Red about a replacement. I'm not trained on battery usage mind you but I don't see anything in your readings that would indicate a high usage of anything in particular.

My battery will last me usually at least a day, depending on how much time I spend on twitter. Yesterday I didn't tweet at all and I woke this morning with still 40% battery. Mostly I browsed the web and talked to my wife on the phone.