Battery Concern

Garandhero

Reaction score
Well Ive had the droid x for 24 hours.... and so far I am concerned about my battery... today for instance it died after 4 hours of heavy use inolving surfing the net, texting and using google talk.... 4 hours??? Similar to how fast it died after I first got it from the store - but when I first picked it up it had like 70% battery (it was used as a demo i guess?) It started at about 80% battery too. I fully charged it the night before, and left it on overnight in the morning it was still 80% so I just went from there (I guess standby is good though...)

does that seem right? What is going on.. I have wireless and GPs disabled, and its in power saver mode as well....

Possiible I got a defective battery? If so what options /steps can I take to get a new battery?

Elkay

Reaction score
4 hours and "heavy" doesn't sound awful.. did you have your screen off while you were using Google Voice? Have you checked the numerous other threads with suggestions on extending battery life?

ext

Reaction score
I agree, 4 hours of "heavy" use seems reasonable. If you were doing stuff without WiFi - 3G is a battery hog. If you could do your surfing on WiFi you would have gained about 1-2hrs more battery.

Sadly, battery technology isn't improving at any rate as good as hardware is.

-Ext

Elkay

Reaction score
Yep, WiFi instead of 3G will definite give you a bit more time. Just make sure if you're not near a WiFi point you have WiFi off, otherwise it can really suck the juice looking for an access point that isn't there.

cizzlen

Reaction score
I think everyone is missing the point. He said he charged it overnight and the battery was still at 80%. While everyone else I hear is getting 8 hours heavy usage, you probably should go get it checked out at a Verizon shop.

Elkay

Reaction score
I think everyone is missing the point. He said he charged it overnight and the battery was still at 80%. While everyone else I hear is getting 8 hours heavy usage, you probably should go get it checked out at a Verizon shop.

He didn't say he charged it overnight. He said he left it in standby overnight and it only dropped to 80%.

willijo

Reaction score
OK, what you've got to remember is that batteries can only do so much they are not as advanced as everything else that's why everybody's not in electric cars like we thought we would. What you need is a power saver app.; go to droid marketplace and download "Advanced Task Killer FREE" that will take care of some of your problems. Next, you need a portable battery pack or a car charger; that phone will last forever on stand by, I've done the math, mine will, and just your screen alone depletes 90% of the battery that is used, so it wont hurt to darken the contrast to your personal minimum choice. Hope this helps.

Vilkus

Reaction score
I find it is all power drain from the display

Well Ive had the droid x for 24 hours.... and so far I am concerned about my battery... today for instance it died after 4 hours of heavy use inolving surfing the net, texting and using google talk.... 4 hours??? Similar to how fast it died after I first got it from the store - but when I first picked it up it had like 70% battery (it was used as a demo i guess?) It started at about 80% battery too. I fully charged it the night before, and left it on overnight in the morning it was still 80% so I just went from there (I guess standby is good though...)

does that seem right? What is going on.. I have wireless and GPs disabled, and its in power saver mode as well....

Possiible I got a defective battery? If so what options /steps can I take to get a new battery?

Go to settings
Look under Battery Manager go to battery use for a display of power consumption
Put display on auto or very low
HOpe this helps

rickreno

Reaction score
I've had mine since Friday, battery has never lasted more than 8 hours. I went back to a factory reset on Monday, thinking maybe something I'd downloaded was killing the battery. Didn't help. Display is set to under 15%, no widgets, bluetooth, GPS and Gmail updates turned off. Today I sent one text message, about 30 characters and had two phone calls for 41 seconds. Battery went to 20% in under 8 hours. I don't even use this thing and the battery dies. Talked to Verizon tonight, they're sending a new battery. If it doesn't work this Droid will go back. I'm tired of screwing around with it. I need a phone that isn't tethered to a power source. It's useless as it is.

Brent72

Reaction score
I took mine off the charger at exactly 11:30am today. It is now almost 11:00pm and after about 1 hour of phone calls, 20 or so text messages, a few app downloads and some app updates my battery is still showing 55%(I found an app in the marketplace that gives you exact percentages instead of just 10% increments). I only have a couple of widgets running in the background, but I do have Bluetooth and GPS on and I'm still getting awesome battery life.

Balthazar B

Reaction score
<sigh> There's a reason Verizon will be releasing a larger battery as an accessory about a month after the release of the DX. After a month with the stock batteries in the field, Verizon will sell thousands and thousands of the extended life model (I wonder what their profit margin will be on them).

rickreno

Reaction score
I took mine off the charger at exactly 11:30am today. It is now almost 11:00pm and after about 1 hour of phone calls, 20 or so text messages, a few app downloads and some app updates my battery is still showing 55%(I found an app in the marketplace that gives you exact percentages instead of just 10% increments). I only have a couple of widgets running in the background, but I do have Bluetooth and GPS on and I'm still getting awesome battery life.

I'd be very happy if mine did that.

Brent72

Reaction score

I'd be very happy if mine did that.

Oh, believe me I am. One thing that might be of hope to a lot of people with current battery trouble is that it didn't start exhibiting this kind of strength until after a few charges and discharges. The first few days with the phone I wasn't very happy with the battery life at all, but it has definitely improved over time. dancedroid

arabstar1982

Reaction score

I charged my phone on Tuesday for about about four hours and it lasted for over 24 hours, more like nearly 30 with moderate usage. Finally died at 5 pm on Wednesday and I plugged it in. 7 pm said it was done, but left it on until 7: 30. It's now 12:46 and its been in standby if display off and brightness as far down as it will go, data turned off, no gps, nothing on except a calendar widget (thAT was on the other day as well). I am down to 70% in about 5 hours doing nothing with the phone. By those calculations, it won't last half way through the day not being used. What gives? How can it be so good one charge and horrible the next. Why isn't it charging the same times. Both times used the ac charger. The good time it was at 5% when I plugged it in, this last time it shut itself down because of low power. Really frustrating. Any advice?

clearly.alive

Reaction score
I was getting flat out awful battery life too (like five hours, with four of those hours being on stand-by). I went into the verizon store today to figure out what was draining the battery. I had the screen brightness set on the lowest setting, I had installed the update, and I had uninstalled ATK (I don't think you need it, and uninstalling it actually improved my battery life).

Turns out what was secretly draining all of my battery life was the social applications constantly syncing. Go to settings> Data Manager > Data Delivery > Social Applications and make sure that sync over WiFi only is checked.

My phone has been unplugged for 12 hours and the battery bar is still displaying green. Amazing!