Bad dust under glass - take apart to clean?

vtrac

Reaction score
This is probably a bad idea, but I've got super bad dust under my screen (to the point of affecting readability, depending on the light), right below the ear speaker port. I think my options are to:

1) Undo my root hacks, revert to stock, and take it to a Verizon store to try and get a replacement. I bought my phone from letstalk.com, so I don't know if this is even possible.
2) I noticed 5 screws on the back of the screen. Has anyone tried to take apart the screen? I'm afraid that even if I successfully do it, it may just make it worse if I break any "seals" that are under the glass.

Has anyone else considered this?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Option 1 is your best bet. Dust is a Manufacture defect and is covered under the 1 year warranty.

The Droid is a royal PITA to take apart, and you will damage some parts.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes back to the store for a replacement. And if they give you a hard time call customer service, the warranty covers it.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This is probably a bad idea, but I've got super bad dust under my screen (to the point of affecting readability, depending on the light), right below the ear speaker port. I think my options are to:

1) Undo my root hacks, revert to stock, and take it to a Verizon store to try and get a replacement. I bought my phone from letstalk.com, so I don't know if this is even possible.
2) I noticed 5 screws on the back of the screen. Has anyone tried to take apart the screen? I'm afraid that even if I successfully do it, it may just make it worse if I break any "seals" that are under the glass.

Has anyone else considered this?

There are actually 10 screws there, but I agree with the others. Return it. If all other options are gone then I'd consider taking it apart. eg: 1.5 yrs from now and no warrenty is left. There is a video you can find on youtube if you search for droid breakdown. Risk of breaking something plus cost of parts means returning it would be cheaper right now if they just replace it.

Sp3aK

Reaction score
Mine is starting to get dust under the top-left corner. What spot is yours coming in at?

I just am going to have a hard time peeling off my screen and body protectors and not get reimbursed for them. I do have a seidio case now though so I guess it's not a big deal.

If you go get another phone let me know how it goes.

crspang

Reaction score
I'd take it back. And on the new one use a vacuum instead of compressed air to clean lint from the speaker. Not to say that you used compressed air but a vacuum works well.

mregan01

Reaction score
same problem- did you get results?

I have dust under mine too, and didn't try and clean it with pressurized air. Did anyone get Verizon or Motorola to replace the phone?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have dust under mine too, and didn't try and clean it with pressurized air. Did anyone get Verizon or Motorola to replace the phone?

Yes you can get a replacement phone for dust under the screen, I recommend you make your complaint by phone as opposed to going to Verizon Store. I've seen some people get hassled about it at the Verizon store but over the phone they will do it for you in a heartbeat.

strobez395

Reaction score
I've got this one piece of dust on the left side and decently big for a screen annoying the crap out of me. I didn't know it was covered I guess I'll try bringing it back to the verizon store also.

OP
V

vtrac

Reaction score

Yes you can get a replacement phone for dust under the screen, I recommend you make your complaint by phone as opposed to going to Verizon Store. I've seen some people get hassled about it at the Verizon store but over the phone they will do it for you in a heartbeat.

I'm surprised to hear this. Dust under the screen sounds like something Verizon would want to see in person before offering an exchange. Has anyone gotten this to work?

I haven't gone to the verizon store yet, but was planning on doing it soon.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
You should also be able to do it straight through Motorola.

bigwinw

Reaction score
Any Luck with Return?

I have the same problem. Even a hair has gotten under my screen. It is extremely annoying. I am wondering if anyone had any luck with either Motorola or Verizon if the phone is under warranty? I hit the 1 year mark in November.