Backing up SMS/Call Log from 2.1 to 2.2

SG181

Reaction score
I recently upgraded my original Droid from 2.1 to 2.2. One of the reasons why I didn't initially upgrade right when the 2.2 ROMs first were being released was because I didn't want to lose my texts and call history when I upgraded to Froyo. So, my question is this: Is it possible to transfer the call log/SMS data from 2.1 to 2.2? I've tried using Titanium Backup, but restoring my [VOICEMAIL] Dialer 2.1 and [SMS/MMS/APN] Dialer Storage 2.1 does not work. I've still got my complete Nandroid backup, so I can restore to 2.1, grab the data, and then reflash if needed.

turdbogls

Reaction score
interested as well. i constantly switch ROMs (its an obsession) and i loose numbers and texts all the time.

Droids

Reaction score
All SMS and MMS messages are stored in a single database file named mmssms.db located in /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases

You can manually back up and restore this file when changing roms. I back it up to the sd card (via Root Explorer) once a week or so just so I don't lose my texts, which I haven't yet.

The call log I don't worry about so much, there is another db file in that folder that may be the call log, I dunno.

Droids

Reaction score
Oh, and MMS attachments are stored in /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/app_parts/

desmith

Reaction score
I wish to do the same thing, 2.1 to 2.2 with SMS history import.

When I follow the instructions above (copying mmssms.db), the threads all show up perfectly in the Messaging list, but clicking on one to view it causes Messaging to force quit.

I also tried using Titanium Backup and restoring the [SMS/MMS] Dialer data, and it had precisely the same result. All the threads showed up, but clicking any one to view it force quits. Running a permissions repair with ROM Manager doesn't affect things.

I additionally tried using MyBackup Pro to restore them, and it worked, but marked them all as unread and received today. Not useful.

I'm running on an HTC Eris, which I intend to limp along with until Verizon has a cheap 4G Android. Which makes upgrades like this all-the-more critical. :)

I went from stock 1.5 to stock 2.1 to rooted stock 2.1 to xtrSENSE 4.6.5 (never had to wipe, and never any upgrade pains). I'm trying to install fresh copies of FroShedYo Vanilla, FroShedYo 10, or CELB Froyo (all CyanogenMod 6.1) after a wipe. All three act as described above.

Droids

Reaction score
desmith,
This kinda sounds like a permissions issue. Can you manually check the permissions using root explorer if you have it. I don't know if rom manager checks/changes permissions in the /data folder. You would think TB and MBP would set the permissions though.

I recently played with SMS Backup+ which will backup and restore to Gmail. Not perfected yet but works ok the little bit I've used it.