Backing up data, especially contacts and calendar

luvtype

Reaction score
In case I have to do a hard reset of my Droid--and sooner or later this will happen--what's the best of way backing up my contacts and calendar data--so that they can be restored without any data loss?

Actually, I'm not sure what gets lost with a hard reset. Would appreciate if someone could provide some guidelines on this issue.

Many thanks!

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i think if you have google syncing you should be all set. i use mybackuppro just in case tho lol

EDIT: i had to do a hard reset and i didn't lose anything. mine syncs auto tho

OP
L

luvtype

Reaction score
Not sure i know what "if you have google syncing" means. I thought I did. How do I check?
thanks!

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
go to settings then hit accounts and sync and you'll see yur choices :D

toddegreene

Reaction score
go to settings then hit accounts and sync and you'll see yur choices :D

Check "Background data" and "Auto-sync". Then select your email account (you can have multiple) and check "sync contacts", "sync calendar" and "sync gmail". The initial sync will happen when you check each item. When the syncs are complete go to your computer and log into your gmail account and make sure all synced (just for peace of mind).

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
thanks todd! i've never really paid much attention to how that stuff works :D i'm just glad it does lol

EDIT: ok so i went and clicked on my facebook and see that i have that sync off! yay no wonder i've never had the terrible facebook contact problems everyone else has.

OP
L

luvtype

Reaction score
What about phone contacts? I read somewhere that phone contacts do not get synced or backed up. I'm assuming these are contacts without email addresses??? Not sure. But I have tons of those, and would hate to lose them in case of a hard reset.

toddegreene

Reaction score
If you follow the steps in my previous post, all contacts, messages and calendar events will besynced with your gmail accounts. You can then backup contacts from gmail or from the menu of your contacts app.