Attention NHL Penguins Fans! Penguins Droid App Released!

Gkope

Reaction score
Cool, was wondering when this was coming to android. Thanks for the heads up.

The app has a link to let you sign up for the Matt Cooke Fan Club direct!

Actually, as a lifelong PENS fan, I can't and won't defend that hit. Regardless of whether there was a rule in place or not, there are hits you just don't take. And that was one of them. Hopefully, Savard makes it back quicker than it looks now. And more importanly, hopefully he has no lingering effects and gets back to leading a normal life now.
I agree, but it was still a legal hit. I was at that game and I even tweeted (you can go back and look if you don't believe me) "Cooke will be suspended for that hit" as soon as it happened.

That being said, that one hit doesn't make the Penguins a dirty organization.

Agreed, it doesn't make them a dirty organization. But Cooke is a dirty player. The NHL would be much better without his kind in the league. And before this becomes PENS bashing (oops... too late) EVERY TEAM has these types.

The NHL tied their hands from being able to suspend Cooke when Richards wasn't suspended for basically the same infraction. I think there is a rule that could have been applied, something about hitting an unexpecting player. I don't know exactly what the rule or wording is, but there was a lot of discussion about it on talk radio here in the Burgh. Regardless, since Richards wasn't disciplined, neither was Cooke.

I'd like to see the new rule regarding head shots get on the books this year, today rather than later. All this talk about needing to go through proper channels is bull. When Avery waved his stick in front of Brodeur, Bettman made of his few right decisions and clarified that an existing rule would be used. He could easily do the same here.

OP
M

Matth3w

Well there is an intent to injure infraction, but I really don't think Cooke was trying to injure. I think even "dirty" players don't intend to injure...unless you're talking about whacking someone in the face with a stick.

Reaction score
Well the NHLPA is finally considering a "band-aid" fix for this problem, albeit a little too late since this season I think. The hits we've seen this year (Mike Richards Hit On David Booth & Matt Cooke on Marc Savard for example) were some pretty terrible hits, ones that maybe should have at least been assessed a Roughing minor I think.

These open ice hits IMO are just as bad as the dangerous boarding calls (Such as Ovechkin on Campbell) that we've seen this year as well. Hell, Marc Savard is out with a "Grade 2 concussion" after the hit he took. The difference here is players like Richards and Cooke get off scott free with no penalty or suspension, but Ovechkin gets a 5 Minute Major penalty, a game misconduct AND a 2 game suspension. Don't get me wrong, the hit on Campbell was painful to watch, but to me it's almost on the same scale as these dangerous hits to the head in open ice.

I can't wait till they institute some sort of enforcement about these hits. If I was a Bruins fan I'd be pretty upset because they are a team struggling to make it into the playoffs, and now they are without maybe their best PP player.

Well there is an intent to injure infraction, but I really don't think Cooke was trying to injure. I think even "dirty" players don't intend to injure...unless you're talking about whacking someone in the face with a stick.

Like that Chris Simon slash on Ryan Hollweg?

[video=youtube;RLmon0XoH3I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLmon0XoH3I[/video]

This is a pretty sweet application, but unfortunately being a Devils fan, it only makes me wish that they would come out with something similar, haha. Maybe all the teams will take note of this and create applications for their fans to use at games as well. The ability to watch replays alone makes this application very useful.

P.S - The Pens better lose tonight because we need that Atlantic Division lead back :p Go Devils!

OP
M

Matth3w

The difference was, the Ovie hit was an actual penalty. The Richards and Cooke hits were not.

Reaction score
Well, why shouldn't it have been a roughing penalty maybe? Yeah Savard literally just took the shot, but to me it's pretty clear that Cooke was not going for the body on that hit otherwise he would have done it. I just wonder if it was someone like Sidney Crosby taking that hit instead of Marc Savard if the results would have been the same.

Cooke has a history of being this kind of player, just look back to earlier this season when he actually did get suspended for two games for on a hit on Artem Anisimov that looks almost exactly the same.

[video=youtube;dXixraReToU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXixraReToU"]YouTube - Cooke rails Anisimov - 2 Game Suspension [11/28/2009][/video]

Okay I'm done, I don't want this thread to get closed because this application is still really awesome. I'm just excited to see NHL fans and am really happy that the Penguins are taking a step like this to benefit some of the more tech-savy fans. Just think about it, you could watch ALL of these bone crunching hits again and again while you're at the game :D

I'll have to see if there is any way to contact the Devils and request a similar application. I would totally use it every time I'm at the Prudential Center.

Vladiator

Reaction score
Wow, not surpised this thread has spun off the way it has. Still fun to read though, and fun to watch Cindy get a nice face wash at the end of the game last night :icon_evil:

OP
M

Matth3w

Wow, not surpised this thread has spun off the way it has. Still fun to read though, and fun to watch Cindy get a nice face wash at the end of the game last night :icon_evil:
Whatever team you are rooting for, they didn't win the Stanley Cup last year.

mkibble

Reaction score
all i have to say is this was the most gratifiying entertaining thing i've seen in quite some time.

[video=youtube;H9jZ_dRAraQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9jZ_dRAraQ&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Sidney Crosby Temper Tantrum. 3/22/10[/video]

good work howard.

MJ5150

Reaction score
Nice move by the Pens organization putting this out.

Cooke got his a$$ whipped by Thornton the other night in Boston. While the NHL works to modify the rules to protect players, these type of hits never go unpunished by the players on the ice.

-Mike