Asurion plans to offer Droid X and Incredible as Droid 1 replacement

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

Asurion, Verizon's official smartphone insurance provider, has been at the center of attention as of late. Ever since Verizon announced the Droid 1 was to be discontinued, the question arose: Would Asurion be able to replace a Droid 1 with a Droid 1? And the short answer was, no. On Asurion's website, the only replacement options available for the Droid 1 was the Droid Eris, LG Ally, and Droid Devour. And who wants one of those, honestly?

That was until today. Droid-Life got word that Asurion plans to provide Droid Xs and Incredibles at some point this summer as replacements for the Droid 1. Although Asurion cannot guarantee either at this point, the company plans to eventually have both the Droid X and Incredible in limited supply. This was likely in response to a slew of complaints and insurance cancellations by Droid 1 customers. So, the moral of the story, think twice before you cancel that insurance; if your aging Droid 1 kicks the bucket, you may be in for a nice surprise.

source: Droid-Life

Thanks to Shadez for the tip!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was going to cancel my insurance. Unless we get a definitive yes (not a limited supply) I still am.

Devour, Eris, and Ally are not comparable to Droid.

pastorbob

Reaction score
hmm, I just had my insurance reinstated (i am horrible at keeping my phone in working order). This would be great news if it is true and beyond just a limited supply.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
This is great news. It makes me think ill have my Droid for a while now with such worthy replacements

bamfsig45

Reaction score
So D1 owners could magically "lose" their D1, or "damage" it and pay the 90.00 deductible and get a DX?

Although dishonest I would bet many will try this.

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
So D1 owners could magically "lose" their D1, or "damage" it and pay the 90.00 deductible and get a DX?

better make sure the X is available. you don't want to be stuck with an Eris, trust me :icon_eek:

chadamir

Reaction score
But those have no keyboard :( Hopefully droid 2 will be offered as a replacement down the line.

pastorbob

Reaction score
back when i had my LG Chocolate I went through five of them in the two year span of my contract.... Looks like I will have an X or Incredible before the year is out if the same holds true with my droid.

I wont purposely break it, but i drop this thing at least twice a day (if not more). Its still going like a champ but who knows how much longer it will last with all those drops on to concrete.

brownpm85

Reaction score

That is the first thought that ran through my head. In reference to someone getting stuck with an Eris, all someone had to do was to check and see if the DI or DX was available as the replacement and then file the claim.

noisufnoc

Reaction score
my wife's D1 has a really loose screen and I wanted to get her a replacement, if I hold out she could get a DX or an Incredible? hmmm...

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Saying that now is one thing, having it when you file one is another.

Most likely the D2 once out will be the default replacement choice, and the X not withstanding it would still be an upgrade in HW.

paul_be

Reaction score
But those have no keyboard :( Hopefully droid 2 will be offered as a replacement down the line.

I have to admit I love the hw keyboard, I hope my droid makes it until the droid 2 is the replacement.

TekHawk

Reaction score
If they offer the Droid 2 when it is released then this would not be so bad but neither the Inc or the X are anything close hardware wise due to the keyboard... will be a lot more careful with my Droid 1 now thats for sure I like my keyboard... but more importantly I like my root and Cyanogen :(

Tegamal

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind an X, but I prefer to have root access & total control over my property.