Astro Video Player Crash and then Logo Loop

bryanc1

Reaction score
I've been trying to watch a video I have converted from AVI to MP4. This has worked before, until now. When I try to start the video. The Droid black screens and then after a few minutes, the Motorola Logo shows up. The only way I can get it out of this cycle is to pull the battery for a few minutes (which I'm doing now as I write this). I tried going to Ultimate Droid 8.1.1 to potentially resolve the possible issue being in the Ultimate Droid 7.8 ROM, which I'm on. It didn't matter. In fact it seemed to get worse. It would either completely lock up or it would restart and enter the loop.

What I've done now, is backed up all my apps and made sure I didn't have anything on the phone (that wasn't already on the SD card to be saved). Then I did a complete wipe of the cache and system and then reloaded 7.8. I'm still seeing the same video crash problem (and it's not just isolated to Astro, I have the free video player and it crashes to M logo too.

Does anyone knwo why it's doig this? Why is it looping? Why can't it play ANY video's now?

Thank you.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I've been trying to watch a video I have converted from AVI to MP4. This has worked before, until now. When I try to start the video. The Droid black screens and then after a few minutes, the Motorola Logo shows up. The only way I can get it out of this cycle is to pull the battery for a few minutes (which I'm doing now as I write this). I tried going to Ultimate Droid 8.1.1 to potentially resolve the possible issue being in the Ultimate Droid 7.8 ROM, which I'm on. It didn't matter. In fact it seemed to get worse. It would either completely lock up or it would restart and enter the loop.

What I've done now, is backed up all my apps and made sure I didn't have anything on the phone (that wasn't already on the SD card to be saved). Then I did a complete wipe of the cache and system and then reloaded 7.8. I'm still seeing the same video crash problem (and it's not just isolated to Astro, I have the free video player and it crashes to M logo too.

Does anyone knwo why it's doig this? Why is it looping? Why can't it play ANY video's now?

Thank you.

This sounds like an app conflict. Have you installed anything new around when this started? Also did this start when you went to UD?

OP
B

bryanc1

Reaction score
No, actually...it's worked really great. Then all of a sudden it has went screwy. I've completely wiped and reinstalled UD and its still acting messed up (without any apps or any new settings added to it...).

I've not added or configured anything beyond the new 7.8 UD and i'm not configuring anything to see if it starts locking up. The one thing that it did though, right away like I mentioned was Astro crashing completely to the M loco.

OP
B

bryanc1

Reaction score
Just added weatherbug, configured my gmail settings and added a picture widget...i don't have any overclocking going on right now. I did have the setCPU prior...but can that cause the astro video player to crash?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Just added weatherbug, configured my gmail settings and added a picture widget...i don't have any overclocking going on right now. I did have the setCPU prior...but can that cause the astro video player to crash?

I wouldn't think so, I've not used the astro video player though. Is that part of astro file manager?

OP
B

bryanc1

Reaction score
Yeah...when you browse to a video file and open it from there, it opens it. Just about like the Astro picture viewer. I have another application that is a video player alone, and it locked up with that. I haven't tried launching from the gallery, it takes a while to load everything there...I'm pretty sure I have though and it's rebooted from there as well.

OP
B

bryanc1

Reaction score
Ok...after having a pretty stable setup so far for an hour or two...I decided to power off and see if maybe the loop was being caused because of a failed shut down process. I then turned it back on and it's looping again. I've pulled the battery to be able to power it back on.

OP
B

bryanc1

Reaction score
I had the USB plugged in just now and it was logo looping. (even with the battery out). Once I pulled the USB cable out and then the battery again, it loaded and started.

OP
B

bryanc1

Reaction score
You know now that I think about this. This really started up again yesterday or so, when I plugged into my home computer front USB ports. I wonder if something caused it to possibly mess up...but still, it wouldn't be doing this if it was completely reflashed. I know there is one movie on here that I watched the other day. I can't watch it again now.

OP
B

bryanc1

Reaction score
I mean the USB drivers internal to the phone...

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Ok...after having a pretty stable setup so far for an hour or two...I decided to power off and see if maybe the loop was being caused because of a failed shut down process. I then turned it back on and it's looping again. I've pulled the battery to be able to power it back on.

So basically you have 3 video players, stock astro and this stand alone one. Try completely uninstalling the stand alone one and then reboot.

OP
B

bryanc1

Reaction score
...I removed Astro in case it wasn't being reinstalled on top of an existing bad build. Especially after running it and having no audio. (Verified I have audio with the ringer volume control). Tried loading a small video from Gallery. No audio, still, and the media volume is turned up all the way.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
...I removed Astro in case it wasn't being reinstalled on top of an existing bad build. Especially after running it and having no audio. (Verified I have audio with the ringer volume control). Tried loading a small video from Gallery. No audio, still, and the media volume is turned up all the way.

Ok so no boot loops but now no audio. Hmmmmm. This could be a ROM issue. Have you tried flashing a different ROM? Not another UD, try bugless beast and see if you still have the problem.

OP
B

bryanc1

Reaction score
K, just saw what you wrote...rebooting now. I hope...just hope it doesn't start looping. The stand alone player, I don't have on here anymore not since reflashing 7.8.

OP
B

bryanc1

Reaction score
K, I'll do a reboot and check it out to see if no audio and then if so, I'll check out bugless beast.

If worst comes to worst, would rooting it be the problem? Would it be a good idea to see if it works by going back to the original image? Just wondering. Rebooting now.

Oh and thanks for the help here...