Aruba

messtress

Reaction score
I will be going to aruba and I am trying to decide if I am better off paying verizon the extra $ to use my droid or just put the droid in airplane mode and use wifi. I don't really think I will need to use the phone, but perhaps text messages, and to check emails etc. I have heard that I can just use google voice to send free sms, is this true? I have also read that I can not use google voice to make free calls while in aruba, is this true?

Thanks so much for your input!!!

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
I will be going to aruba and I am trying to decide if I am better off paying verizon the extra $ to use my droid or just put the droid in airplane mode and use wifi. I don't really think I will need to use the phone, but perhaps text messages, and to check emails etc. I have heard that I can just use google voice to send free sms, is this true? I have also read that I can not use google voice to make free calls while in aruba, is this true?

Thanks so much for your input!!!

There is a way to make phone calls via wifi using sipdroid/google voice/ and gizmo 5 here is where the steps are to do it...should work in aruba so long as you are near a wifi connection id think...
How To: Free Calls via Wifi (using Google Voice & Gizmo5) - Android Forums
Hope this helps.

Be sure to let us know if this works for you or not ill be in aruba in july for my honeymoon and would be interested to know if it works. I know it works around here but not sure about aruba so confirmation would be awesome.

OP
M

messtress

Reaction score
Thank you so much...I will keep you posted!! And congrats on getting married :D

trowa

Reaction score
Last time I was in aruba I just used the internet in my hotel room. It was very expensive, $20 USD for 24 hour of unlimited use. But I was drinking at least 4 - 5 alcoholic beverages before lunch so I really didn't care about the price :)

Edit: Oh and if you like drinking check out some of the happy hour at different bars. Happy hour was buy 1 drink and get the same thing for free. So I did 2 drinks at once. My hotel bar had happy hour from 2-3pm and the bar out on the beach across the street was 3-4pm. This was every day. It was an awesome vacation! Have fun.

Last edited: