Are any of these known Battery Hogs?

lschicky

Reaction score
So I finally got my Droid and we ended up getting my mom a Droid too, instead of the Eris.

She took hers out to show it off to a family friend today, and in under 2 hours with minimal use except for brief showing it off, it drained the battery half way.

She had the Google Star-map installed, and I had her uninstall that for right now (thought I remember hearing about that taking up battery), and seeing as we live in a major city where it's hard to actually see stars, I figured she could just reinstall when she's out in the middle of nowhere.

Ambient Fireplace (1.0.0)
Androtris Free (1.26)
App Dragon (1.22)
Bubble Burst Lite (1.6.0)
Bubbles (1.5)
ColorLines (1.2.0)
Dream (1.0.0)
Farm Animals (10.0.1)
Lettris (1.04)
Lightning Bug (1.0.12b)
Lullaby Sheep (1.0.1)
Mabilo Wallpapers (1.5)
MagicBubble (1.0)
Mahjong (1.0.5)
Note Pad (1)
Prayerbook (1.1)
Rain Stick (1.3)
SameColors (2.05.00)
Steamy Window (1.8)
Tea Timer (1.6)
WeatherBug (2.2.83)
White Noise Lite (1.6)

pandroid

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
check your phones battery usage stats. it should tell you what apps/processes/hardware is taking up your battery

menu/about phone/battery use

Wannabe

Reaction score
what is steamy window?

An app that fogs up the screen like a mirror during a hot shower. You can wipe the "steam" off the screen. Just a pointless app to showoff the touchscreen.

pandroid

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
ignore this post, i was late in answering

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
So I finally got my Droid and we ended up getting my mom a Droid too, instead of the Eris.

She took hers out to show it off to a family friend today, and in under 2 hours with minimal use except for brief showing it off, it drained the battery half way.

She had the Google Star-map installed, and I had her uninstall that for right now (thought I remember hearing about that taking up battery), and seeing as we live in a major city where it's hard to actually see stars, I figured she could just reinstall when she's out in the middle of nowhere.

Androtris Free (1.26)
App Dragon (1.22)
Bubbles (1.5)
ColorLines (1.2.0)
Dream (1.0.0)
Farm Animals (10.0.1)
Lettris (1.04)
Lightning Bug (1.0.12b)
Lullaby Sheep (1.0.1)
Mabilo Wallpapers (1.5)
MagicBubble (1.0)
Mahjong (1.0.5)
Note Pad (1)
Prayerbook (1.1)
Rain Stick (1.3)
SameColors (2.05.00)
Steamy Window (1.8)
Tea Timer (1.6)
WeatherBug (2.2.83)
White Noise Lite (1.6)

I wouldn't worry about apps such as Google Star Map. They shouldn't be taking any battery life unless you are running them (I have had it installed since day one and only need to charge every second or third day). What you need to keep an eye out for are any of these which are widgets. I have read bad things on here about WeatherBug.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Androtris Free (1.26)
App Dragon (1.22)
Bubbles (1.5)
ColorLines (1.2.0)
Dream (1.0.0)
Farm Animals (10.0.1)
Lettris (1.04)
Lightning Bug (1.0.12b)
Lullaby Sheep (1.0.1)
Mabilo Wallpapers (1.5)
MagicBubble (1.0)
Mahjong (1.0.5)
Note Pad (1)
Prayerbook (1.1)
Rain Stick (1.3)
SameColors (2.05.00)
Steamy Window (1.8)
Tea Timer (1.6)
WeatherBug (2.2.83)
White Noise Lite (1.6)

I'm not familiar with many of your Mom's apps, though I have to say that the combination of "Steamy Windows" and "Farm Animals" does raise some questions.

In any event, the only thing I see (among the ones I am familiar with) that might be a culprit is weather bug.

However, my experience is that the first half of the battery drains much faster than the second half. (This is otherwise known as the "half full battery theory.") Obviously, that's silly. But I find that the initial drop in what my battery meter tells me is much faster than is the case as the battery drains. I'm assuming it's a defect in the meter, not the battery.

Your story sounds a bit extreme, but if the two hours of use consisted of "showing off" the Droid, especially with the screen brightness turned all the way up, your Mom may simply be using a lot of battery just powering the screen. Perhaps she was "showing off" more than she realized.

You might also want to keep an eye on any applications that use the GPS a lot. (You were correct, I think, to focus on the Google star map on that score.) If any of the others depend on GPS, you might want to make sure they're behaving appropriately.

Finally, you might want to try getting some reliable statistics on the phone by doing the same things every hour for several hours and recording the results. It's possible that you have a bad battery in your Mom's phone. And since you and your Dad also have Droids, you're in a perfect position to compare the three for several hours. If it looks like your Mom's droid behaves very differently from yours and your Dad's, go back to your Verizon store and present the documented evidence.

OP
lschicky

lschicky

Reaction score
I think it ended up being her screen, she had it in her pocket and she had a 1 minute time out. I looked at the battery stats and 81% of it was the screen!

hahahaha I should have put a disclaimer on it, that almost none of her applications are useful. But I'm one of the few people I know who has a mom on Droid!

pandroid

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I think it ended up being her screen, she had it in her pocket and she had a 1 minute time out. I looked at the battery stats and 81% of it was the screen!

hahahaha I should have put a disclaimer on it, that almost none of her applications are useful. But I'm one of the few people I know who has a mom on Droid!

download the app called "screebl" for your mom and set the screen timeout to 15 seconds

screebl detects the position of your screen and disables timeout based on that condition. also you can enable motion detection, but i dont use that feature.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You might also want to keep an eye on any applications that use the GPS a lot. (You were correct, I think, to focus on the Google star map on that score.) If any of the others depend on GPS, you might want to make sure they're behaving appropriately.
Keep an eye on the notification bar. Some things you wouldn't think of use GPS like the Google Mobile page if you allow it to access your location. The GPS icon shouldn't be in the notification bar unless you're running something that uses it or a background process is accessing it.

jdougal

Reaction score
Your mom have issues sleeping much? :icon_eek:

:icon_ devil: