Apps to SD Card Latest Froyo

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've asked this in a couple of threads, I'll try it here.

There was a set of commands we used in terminal to get our apps, most of them anyway, moved to the SD card.

However when the latest Froyo came out I had to wipe and for whatever reason all the apps on my sd card are now on the Droid.

I did try the commands for the previous version of Froyo but it failed.

Can someone give me the commands I need so I can move apps with this latest version of Froyo? I can't pay money but it never hurts to keep your friendly local moderator happy. :D

huskur

Reaction score
Is this what you are looking for?

Using Terminal Emulator

type

su (enter)
pm setInstallLocation 2 (enter)

If that works then it will seem that nothing is being done but it HAS!!! go to your applications in settings and you will now have the option to move to the SD card.

OK. Some people are getting a "pm" error

If this happens you have bad mapping.......this is no big deal you just have a different step....here it is...

Using terminal emulator

type

su (enter)
cd /system/bin (enter)
sh pm setInstallLocation 2 (enter)

This should definately work

Pay attention to spacing and capital letters. Everything is lower case except the "I" and "L" in "setInstallLocation"

spacing. In my sencond way of apps2sd the line is cd(space)system/bin and the third line is sh(space)pm(space)setInstallLocation(space)2

Hope this helps

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
huskur, you just earned a get out of jail free card. Thanks you, second set of commands worked.

I'm certain that's what I ran previously, I had to have made an input error.

huskur

Reaction score
No problem Hook! That's what we are all here for, helping each other.

I keep word documents saved in a folder of important commands like this so i can always fall back on them instead of having to search forever.

These commands were someone else's. I just modified them to make it easier to understand when typing them in

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
THANKS!!!! I downloaded one of the terminal emulators from the market and now it works for almost all my apps! :D I am a happy camper:heart: beats the app 2 sd app for sure.

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
The only small gripe I seem to have with this is that the app icons I keep on my homescreen that are sent to the sd card change to green droid bot icons once I reboot my phone, similar to that of the market icon. But forceclosing launcher beta pro(my default launcher) seems to change them back..weird. I had the same thing with the apps2sd app. Btw, I think the instructions for the terminal text to do this should be a stickied thread. I think people would really appreciate that, despite the icon bug.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

scott craft

Reaction score
Does this allow all apps to be moved to the sd card? I rooted this morning and am running bugless beast v0.4 and some of my apps have the option of moving to the sd card and some don't.

PriestSyrinx

Reaction score
@scott
yes, it does. I'm running bb.4 and this script allows you to move any app to the sd card.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
@scott
yes, it does. I'm running bb.4 and this script allows you to move any app to the sd card.

I would advise against putting any apps with widgets you use on the sd card, as the widgets will no longer work.

scott craft

Reaction score
If I put the app on a homescreen through shortcuts then applications it will be okay to put that app on the sd card? But something like the google search widget don't move it?