Apps for the disabled and Section 508

cyber3d

Reaction score
May be this could be an official thread - a sticky.

Have you heard about Section 508? It is an offshoot of the federal mandate which began as the ADA (American with Disabilities Act). It deals specifically with Internet / Technology access for those of us with disabilities.

Here are a couple of articles of interest for both the general public and developers:
WebAIM: WebAIM Section 508 Checklist
Web Accessibility - Section 508
and the official website: Section 508: The Road to Accessibility

If you use apps that can help those with disabilities please posts reviews and comments and requests for apps here.

IMO, the Android platform is a golden opportunity for developers to make their apps more accessible to the disabled and a golden opportunity to make money.

OP
cyber3d

cyber3d

Reaction score
Sticky Notes

Which brings to mind an app called Sticky Note from Bratag. A widget which I include here because it has voice recognition coding allowing you to speak instead of typing words onto your notes. It is not a perfect all encompassing solution, but it works well for its purpose. You can find it in the "Market"

PinMakr

Reaction score
Great idea cyber3d!

My wife is visually impaired and I'd love to be able to find a phone that should could use. A phone that would enable her to use voice commands for every feature she needs, would provide text to speech for all emails/messages received, would announce the name of the caller if in her contacts or the phone number if not, and wouldn't talk over incoming calls once picked up would be ideal.