Apps auto Spawn after OTA 2.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GR82N0

Reaction score
I'm having a problem on my newly OTA 2.2 installation on a Motorola Droid. The applications respawn on thier own. I kill them with Advanced Task Killer and they slowly turn themselves on one by one. The email app is the most frustrating as I keep the phone in my bedroom at night and all of a sudden the notification for recieving e-mails starts up in the middle of the night. I regret my anticipation of 2.2's release. I have done a factory reset to get the lock and sound menu back, but it did not correct the re-spawning of apps. Any help would be great! dancedroid

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Turn off any anti-virus and/or task killers you have running. They do not work well with 2.2. Programs started up are not running. They are just sitting in memory waiting to be used. If there are programs you don't use (such as Amazon) you can root and remove those apps. That would stop them from loading. Other than that just let the OS do its job.

OP
G

GR82N0

Reaction score
E-mail is definitely running or it would not notify. Also why would I ever want to make my Droid even slower by having tons of apps running in the background using up memory that I never called up in the first place? These are not just system apps that are spawning.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
Agree with Beach, Don't start killing stuff. If you don't want email notifications turn them off or just stop sync. Killing things wastes your time and you phone's battery and will drive you nuts.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm having a problem on my newly OTA 2.2 installation on a Motorola Droid. The applications respawn on thier own. I kill them with Advanced Task Killer and they slowly turn themselves on one by one. The email app is the most frustrating as I keep the phone in my bedroom at night and all of a sudden the notification for recieving e-mails starts up in the middle of the night. I regret my anticipation of 2.2's release. I have done a factory reset to get the lock and sound menu back, but it did not correct the re-spawning of apps. Any help would be great! dancedroid
If you don't want to get emails or other notifications during the middle of the night the easiest way that I've found is to use an app called Bedside. It will let you block any notifications you desire. The emails still come in, just no notifications. You can block all and still get phone calls or you can block phone calls too. Plus this app puts a nice customizable clock on the screen (or you can let the screen go dark). Very nice little app.

Now to apps restarting - The following is from Google devs:

Android was designed from the ground up as an operating system (OS) for mobile devices. Its built-in application and memory-management systems were engineered with battery life as one of the most critical concerns.
The Android OS does not work like a desktop operating system. On a desktop OS, like Windows, Mac OS X, or Ubuntu Linux, the user is responsible for closing programs in order to keep a reasonable amount of memory available. On Android, this is not the case. The OS itself automatically removes programs from memory as memory is needed. The OS may also preload applications into memory which it thinks might soon be needed.
Having lots of available empty memory is not a good thing. It takes the same amount of power to hold "nothing" in memory as it does to hold actual data. So, like every other operating system in use today, Android does its best to keep as much important/likely-to-be-used information in memory as possible.
As such, using a task manager/killer to constantly clear memory by killing apps is strongly NOT RECOMMENDED. Generally speaking, you should only "End" applications if you see one which is not working correctly.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.