Application Access Concerns

Hoover

Reaction score
Just got my Droid and have been in the Android Market checking out things to get. Each app lists what access it needs to your phone, should I be concerned with giving too much access?

"Where" seemed cool until I saw what access it wanted:

Your Location
Network Comm
Your Personal Info
Storage
Phone Calls (???)
Services that cost you money
System Tools - turn on never sleep???

MAzing87

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused as to why some apps need to access certain information on my phone that would deemed irrelevant to make the app function. Maybe someone with some knowledge on this will be able to give some kind of input.

m038043

Reaction score
I would also be interested in hearing the answer to this. Thanks in advance.

dbandito

Reaction score
In the words of Joe Dirt "I'm New"

I also would like to know about why some apps need access to thses portions of the Droid.. maybe some Droid genius can tell us soon..

medicTHREE

Reaction score
The issue at hand is the program allows you certain functions that could technically by way of the android API system allow access to others. For instance WHERE utilizes features that allow you to dial from WHERE(Phone Calls (???)), use GPS to locate(Location), download data(Network Comm), store maps and directions and cache(storage). I'm not sure what it defines as personal info, so it is hard to say.

I should so be a mod.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
The issue at hand is the program allows you certain functions that could technically by way of the android API system allow access to others. For instance WHERE utilizes features that allow you to dial from WHERE(Phone Calls (???)), use GPS to locate(Location), download data(Network Comm), store maps and directions and cache(storage). I'm not sure what it defines as personal info, so it is hard to say.

I should so be a mod.
:rating00:

medicTHREE

Reaction score

I should so be a mod.
:rating00:

:icon_ devil:

Not my fault I have to correct them....

Reaction score
There are permissions that sometimes sound a little more foreboding than they actually are. "System Tools," for example, is one category an app will need just so it can keep your screen on while you are doing something important. Apps that let you send things might want to see your contacts to make it easier to select recipients, etc.

Nonetheless, I've downloaded a lot of free stuff that wants FULL INTERNET ACCESS (yet the program doesn't use the internet), PHONE CALLS (yet has nothing to do with phone calls), CONTACTS LIST (yet does not use my contacts) and more.

I can see how some devs might want to send usage or bug data via the internet, etc. But when so many seemingly necessary permissions are requested, I generally look in the description of the app or the website for the answer; if I don't find it, I consider the app a 'data miner' and choose not to install it.

Come to think of it, we've always assumed our requested permissions were obvious, we we didn't document how they're used anyplace. :icon_eek: OOPS!

I see another website update coming :)

SoftwareForMe.com
Makers of PhoneMyPC,
Imagine Multitouch

dbandito

Reaction score
Thank you For the info

Although your reply was informative, I am still hesitant to put some apps that I would like to have on my phone. If other developers would be more specific as to the need for such info off of my phone, then I would have more peace of mind. I'm not trying to hide anything, but in this day and age of electronic hacking and identity theft, i'd rather do without a fun app than say..my bank account.. but thanks again anyways

Reaction score
Although your reply was informative, I am still hesitant to put some apps that I would like to have on my phone. If other developers would be more specific as to the need for such info off of my phone, then I would have more peace of mind. I'm not trying to hide anything, but in this day and age of electronic hacking and identity theft, i'd rather do without a fun app than say..my bank account.. but thanks again anyways

I couldn't agree more. We should talk about this in other venue's as well and encourage people to start asking. It is fair and resonable to ask that developers be transparent in this regard; some of us keep our whole lives in our phones.

SoftwareForMe.com
Makers of PhoneMyPC