App Updates After Restore

davidtaylorjr

Reaction score
Hey everyone, quick question for you:

I had to have my droid swapped out a few days ago. I used mybackup pro to restore all of my apps and everything. Now they don't show up in my downloaded list, how do I find out if there are updates for them? Any quick answers?

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Backing up your apps using something like Astro and then re-installing them from the Sd card breaks the link to the market (as you have seen). I have not read any thread where people were able to restore the link. You could uninstall and re-install the apps from the market (even paid apps would be available for re-download). Several people have mentioned that using Titanium backup does let you keep the market link. Don't remember if they said you had to be rooted to get it to work.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
This won't help you (Sorry) but in the future you might wish to consider using Find great Android apps and games - AppBrain to maintain a list of your apps on their website. Once you've set up a free account with them, you can keep your list of apps synchronized and reinstall to your new or restored phone when needed.

It also provides a much improved browsing experience for apps in various categories and allows you to set up a "queue" for installation on your phone.

averma1

Reaction score
the market should really keep a history of installed apps tied to your Gmail account.

its simple, when you install an app from market it gets added to your "gmail market list" and when you manually uninstall it gets removed.

and when a hard reset is done or you get a new phone (because your not manually uninstalling apps they wouldn't erase form your email list) it gives you the last recorded "gmail market list" and you can just reinstall what you want

that and android should sync bookmarks and tasks out of the box (the same way it does calendar and contacts)

M

Matth3w

In the future, if you use Titanium Backup (I use the pro version, not sure if the free version has this) but it has a "Market Doctor" that fixes those issues. You have to be rooted with Busy Box installed to use this app.

srothkin

Reaction score
In the future, if you use Titanium Backup (I use the pro version, not sure if the free version has this) but it has a "Market Doctor" that fixes those issues. You have to be rooted with Busy Box installed to use this app.

It would be nice to have something like that which doesn't require the phone to be rooted.:icon_ poke:

M

Matth3w

The little things like that are what initially made me root.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just flashed to a different ROM, wiping /data and /cache as I went, and as soon as I logged into my account and went to the market, it had a list of all the apps I had download/paid for, and not uninstalled/refunded. Fluke?

M

Matth3w

Nope, Google backs those up and if you wait long enough it will restore them for you. But not data (I don't think) for those apps, and not apps that you didn't pay for (like Handcent or Chomp for example).

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nope, Google backs those up and if you wait long enough it will restore them for you. But not data (I don't think) for those apps, and not apps that you didn't pay for (like Handcent or Chomp for example).

I didnt expect the data to be there (wouldnt make any sense). I just wanted to make sure I remembered what I thought I did. Honestly downloading them again is just as easy as restoring them from backups, plus your links are good and you get the latest versions.

M

Matth3w

Well if you have the paid version of TiBackup...it's literally just one click to restore them, WITH data.

If you use the unpaid version or MyBackupPro you have to click ok and install for each app.

dodgersrgood

Reaction score
Ya titanium backup works better than astro for this reason. Never using astro again for backup/restore

fpikus

Reaction score
I just discovered that AppBrain can restore market links: AppBrain app will scan installed apps (not the ones listed in the Market, but actually installed ones) and compare them with what Market has. For apps with updates it can "Update using Market", which sends you to the right Market page. From there you have to either "Update" or "Install" the app, usually "Install" because Market thinks it's a new app, but it ends up updating it anyway.