App: Settings Profiles -- Setting up?

bodean

Reaction score
ANyone care to share some common profiles they have setup with this app?
Also, how does the order of your profiles work? Say my default is to have ringer on, but I set up a "night" profile to turn ringers off at a time. Will that override the default profile?

thaJack

Reaction score
Unlike Locale, with Settings Profile multiple profiles can be active at the same time. When you deactivate one (whether manually, though the widget, or automatically) it will go back to whatever your settings were before the profile was enabled. There is no default profile.

The order that they are listed doesn't matter, in fact, I don't even think you can change it. What matters, is the order that they are enabled and disabled. The last setting to apply is the one that is set.

I hope this makes sense. By the way, my wife and I both bought the full version. I worked through a couple of small issues with the developer regarding bugs and we have been very happy with the app. It definitely rocks.

MichiganJames

Reaction score
bump this, im trying to find out how to setup profiles so i can have each one act differently based on what is selected. Like a work or night profile

ptfd13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
I have 5 profiles set up on mine. I have a school profile that turns on when the GPS has located I am on campus and that profile silences the ringer and notifications, and enables the pattern lock. My home profile sets the ringer and notification volume at 50%, disables the pattern lock, turns on wifi and is based on the GPS location of my home. I also have a profile set up for when connected to the car dock that turns on Bluetooth, GPS, and starts the maps program. The desk dock profile I have set up turns off everything except for the phone ringer. My last profile is for work, it is the most intricate. Since I work for a fire department I want to be able to hear my phone while at the station but when out on runs it must be silent. So when the GPS sees I am at my station's coordinates it has the ringer and notifications on, wifi on and pattern lock off. When I leave the station for a run the GPS sees that I have left the work area and silences my phone, turns off background data and wifi, and enables the pattern lock.

All in all I could not be happier with this app. I use it all the time and consider it my favorite app.

OP
B

bodean

Reaction score
So here's my question. I am using the latest version of this app.
I have 3 profiles: Default (Brightness 36%), Home(Autosync on,Brightness 50%, Vibrate for notifications Off, Ringer), Night (Wifi off, brightness 36%, Vibrate for notifications off, Vibrate on Calls: on).

I have 1 rule "Activate night" during 2330-0300 every day.

I wake up today at 8am, and notice the phone is still in silent mode.

Am I missing somethere here? Should it not be in silent?

ptfd13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
I have 3 profiles: Default (Brightness 36%), Home(Autosync on,Brightness 50%, Vibrate for notifications Off, Ringer), Night (Wifi off, brightness 36%, Vibrate for notifications off, Vibrate on Calls: on).

Is the profile you have called "default" actually set for default? If it is not the program will keep your phone in the last activated profile until another is set to activate. You can set a profile to default by longpressing on the name of the profile and selecting "set as default."

OP
B

bodean

Reaction score

Is the profile you have called "default" actually set for default? If it is not the program will keep your phone in the last activated profile until another is set to activate. You can set a profile to default by longpressing on the name of the profile and selecting "set as default."

Thanks will try that and report back

jbsangel

Reaction score
That is actually incorrect. When a profile exits, if there is no default profile set, your settings will go back to the state they were in when that profile was triggered.

I saw your post over on AndroidForums, and I believe you said your ringer was not set to silent when your phone entered the night profile, so there is no reason for your phone to still be silent at 8am unless the profile is set up incorrectly or the profile failed to exit.

You can try setting a default profile to see what happens, but i don't believe that is your problem assuming everything is set up properly.

jbsangel

Reaction score
Also, this app doesn't use GPS as stated above. The location based switching is based on cellular. There is also a default profile option now, but you have to set it as indicated above.

I have a few profiles if I can remember them, vibrate, normal, headphones, night, charging, and low battery

Here are some of my rules:
- 10pm - 8am activate night profile to kill notification vibration so i don't have my phone vibrating for email
- 9am-5pm weekdays activate work profile to disallow GPS and silence and vibrate ringer and notifications
- Activate charging profile when plugged in to brighten my screen, change the timeout to never, allow GPS, and turn on my BT
- Activate headphones profile when headphones are plugged in to turn down all sounds so they don't make me deaf when i'm listening to music
- Notify with sound, launch pandora, and activate headphones profile when I connect my bluetooth headset
- turn off BT, WiFi, and disallow GPS when battery is less than 30%

i have entered in my locations but i haven't tried any rules to trigger based on location because i really don't use it. i should try it for work but i suspect i'll probably have problems since i live pretty close to my job.

papy72

Reaction score
I think that one thing you have to take note of is that your widgets and other stuff won't immediately reflect the changes that SP is doing.

For instance, I have an @work profile that turns vibrate on my notifications and ringer during set hours mon - fri. I looked at my phone shortly after the profile activated one morning and one of my widgets showed my volume at max still.

I checked that the correct profile was in use, and it was. Right about then a gmail notification came in, and the phone only vibrated. A quick call from my office phone to my droid confirmed that the ringer was also on vibrate.

So if you use widgets to show the various settings on your phone just remember that they don't update in real-time with the SP change. Once I learned that I basically put my full trust in what SP told me the phone was set on.

ptfd13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
Also, this app doesn't use GPS as stated above. The location based switching is based on cellular. There is also a default profile option now, but you have to set it as indicated above.

i have entered in my locations but i haven't tried any rules to trigger based on location because i really don't use it. i should try it for work but i suspect i'll probably have problems since i live pretty close to my job.

The apps main page in the market states that conditions can be based on GPS locale. I would have to agree because I live right across the street from my university and have a gps set for on campus and my apartment and the two never conflict. When I cross the street from my apartment the phone switches profiles no problem and both locations use the same cell tower. I do not think this would be possible if it was based completely on cellular.

papy72

Reaction score
Oh, and my glance at the thread comments didn't show one of the profiles I use, so here is another neat way to use SP:

Say you have a work profile that keeps the phone quiet when it rings. If you are in meetings you aren't likely to answer it, or even see who is calling.

So I set up a VIP caller profile. In Gmail I defined a contact group called VIP's. My son is the only person there. He would only call me in the event of an emergency, so my VIP profile sets the ringer to max volume for any calls coming from a contact in that VIP list.

Now if I am in a meeting and he needs to get ahold of me, he can - and without fear that I'll just ignore the vibrating phone.

Nifty, eh?

papy72

Reaction score
The apps main page in the market states that conditions can be based on GPS locale. I would have to agree because I live right across the street from my university and have a gps set for on campus and my apartment and the two never conflict. When I cross the street from my apartment the phone switches profiles no problem and both locations use the same cell tower. I do not think this would be possible if it was based completely on cellular.
The main issues with GPS is that it draws a lot of power and is unreliable inside buildings.

If you keep the GPS on all the time then it'll work quite well. At least, when you aren't indoors (no clear view of the sky).

dkelly701

Reaction score
I posted this on the developer's website but will post here also.

I am getting very strange behavior with a rule I am trying to run. I work for a fire department and my schedule rotates through the days of the week. I work 24 hours on the days I work. I want my telephone to vibrate for ring between the hours of 7:AM and 9:pM. I have my Calendar set up with my work schedule so that on the days I work it shows “A Shift” as an all day event and not busy. I have set up a rule in SP with the first part to look for “A Shift” (no quotes in my rule) and the second part to look for Time between 0715 and 2100 hours to activate the correct profile. This is not working for me. I get very inconsistent results. Typically the profile will be activated the day before the actual calendar event at an apparently random time.

I am wonder if the problem is that the calendar event is an all day event with no specific time associated with it within the calendar? If you have a calendar event that is scheduled for between 3PM and 4 pm, I assume SP will automatically run the selected profile for that time and there is no need to add a time condition. Since this is an all day event and I don't want to run this progfile for that entire calendar day, I have to add the time condition. Is anyone using the calendar in a condition and do you have good results?