App Review: 8pen – reinventing the keyboard wheel

This Green Machine

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ThisGreenMachine.com
8pen1.jpg

(This is a guest post by Dave D. from ThisGreenMachine.com. The original article can be found at this link.)

It’s not often that you see a project as daring as 8pen (pronounced eight-pen). More akin to modified cursive, the traditional concept of a keyboard is abandoned. While the letters are still present, “keys” have no place in 8pen. Instead of evolving the current method of input, developer Michael Fester turns it all upside down, and in the process questions the reasoning behind using the aged QWERTY format in a mobile environment. But as with many brave ideas, is it too much? Let’s take a look into the world of 8pen and find out.

Usage & Features

8pen2.jpg
8pen3.jpg

The first surprise for users is that there is no free or trial version available. The Market’s 24 hour return policy can be used as a backup plan, but such a short test period may lead to returns if users don’t have adequate time to practice. While £0.99 (approximately $1.59) isn’t an outrageous price, it still becomes an unneeded barrier.

Upon installing the app, the user is presented with a fairly thorough introduction – and believe me, you will need it. The entire interface consists of an “X” partitioning off four distinct quadrants. Each interior edge (eight in all) is lined with characters stacked four long. The basic concept starts with placing your finger on the center dot. From here, you move into the quadrant containing the desired character, and begin moving across one or more edges, in either a clockwise or counter-clockwise fashion, depending on where the character is located. For the character located nearest to the epicenter, only one plane needs to be broken, two planes for the second letter, and so on. Once the character is selected, move back towards the dot in the middle to complete the action. Simple enough, right?

Here’s where it gets tricky. You cannot lift your finger until you have finished a word. You must continuously move from one loop to the next to string characters together. Once the finger is lifted, a space will follow, ending the word. The problem is, if you can never lift up your finger, how do you ever locate the letters underneath? Because the letter placement is based on common usage, previously memorized groupings won’t help you. In order for this to be efficient, you’ll be forced to learn an entirely new character layout.

So why bother even trying 8pen? Because once you get the hang of it, it can actually be fun. After a day of heavy use (and plenty of cursing in the first hours), you can begin to see the appropriateness of the name. What starts out as single loops punctuated by pauses becomes a collage of spirals, figure eights, and curly q’s. The included text prediction works well enough, and a system of long holds adds special characters. A nice included feature is the programmable “gesture”. If you find yourself using a common word or phrase often, you can preset a custom gesture to trigger the phrase.

Pros & Cons

Pros

• A fun new way to input text, with the potential for speed and efficiency
  • Wildly imaginative in a world content with iteration
  • Custom gestures add speed to commonly used words or phrases

Cons

• No trial version
  • Very steep learning curve

Conclusion
For users with large fingers lacking in dexterity, an option other than the standard hunt and peck can be a godsend. The real question is, will people bother to take time to learn the new system? The change to the norm is so large that a wide adoption will be a challenge to achieve. As with many great ideas and concepts, it may just be too much too soon. With alternatives available such as Swype that take a similar concept of “drawing”, but maintain a familiar interface, it is hard to envision 8pen as a serious contender.

Rating
  • Polish: 3/5 – The interface is clean and simple, but could use a little more style.
  • Ease of Use: 3/5 – This is a tough one. I hate to penalize the new concept for the learning curve. Once the layout is committed to memory, the ease of use should be around the top of the range, but it would be at the low end when the learning curve is considered. I’m going to take the easy road and split the difference.
  • Features: 4/5 – Features gets a bump to above average for the innovative concept and added goodies such as gestures.
  • Overall: 3.3 – If the concept looks interesting to you, give it a try. You can always return it within 24 hours if you don’t want to stick it out. You’ll definitely find out very quickly if it’s something you’re interested in learning.

8pen
8penqr.png

Last edited:

DroidMastar2

Reaction score
For free... I'd try it. Other than that not happening... I will continue to use the same qwerty i used in second grade. Qwerty FTW

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
I'll let you know if I keep it.. I have until 11 oclock tomorrow morning to return it.. I've already got the selecting a letter part down, it's just memorizing where the letters are (in which plane) and how many times I need to cross over to make that letter selected.

Pretty cool concept, I'll post tomorrow if I decide to keep it or not.

Feathersnpaws

Reaction score
I'm keeping it. Its fun and I Can feel my brain getting used to it. Hey... nothing worth anything ever came without practice.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

keyblade

Reaction score
I tried it for a day. After most of the day, I found myself frustrated each time I opened my on screen keyboard (8pen) until I found myself just using the hardware keyboard instead on the Droid. Then I switched back to the HTC IME keyboard. Then I got refunded. :p

UNC

Reaction score
I think it sucks, its a lot of wasted movements.
It seems like a slower layout for swype... swype works because its something new, but still keeps the familiar qwerty.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
The auto word advance can be beat. Just move the finger off the dot, but don't cross any bars, before lifting your finger.. The cursor will stay put and you can continue the word after a quick search for the letter you forgot.

This also comes in handy for capitalizations, mixing numbers and letters, etc.

Royal2000H

Reaction score
I wonder if by the end of it, one would be quicker on this than on Swype. So imagine you stuck it out and kept the keyboard for a week and wrote thousands of texts. That's a lot of typing. Would you then be quicker on 8-pen or on Swype. How about accuracy without paying too much attention? For example, Swype while driving makes me way too distracted.

If 8-pen (with enough practice) can overcome that, I'd even pay $5. Please let me know your guys' opinion.

zachcr250

Reaction score
It is very fun, I love every minute of it. I like the transparent background. And you can change the size of the circle in the middle to large until you learn the location of the letters. I also like it because you have to learn how to spell. I got so used to wordprediction I completely forgot how to spell. (If possible) I almost feel like it's making me smarter. (If possible)

zachcr250

Reaction score
Way faster than swipe, or canbe I'm sure of it. But I don't think we have wordprediction on it, I think. And I use Vlingo with safe reader so I don't have to type when driving.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
. . . also like it because you have to learn how to spell. I got so used to wordprediction I completely forgot how to spell. (If possible) I almost feel like it's making me smarter. (If possible)

You can turn word prediction and auto-correct on in the settings. They don't appear to be as good, as the better QWERTY keyboards, but they exist. I'm leaving mine off until I' have the mechanics mastered. I don't want it fixing my mistakes before I know I've made them.

Lenagainster

Reaction score
Seems to me that one must retrain themselves to write according to the rules set up by 8pen. To make the letter "g", for example, one moves the finger up and then to the right in a circle passing three lines and back to the center. Why can't one just form the letter "g" on the screen, and let the software do the work of interpreting the letter. Sort of like handwriting recognition?!! What a unique idea! Then we don't have to retrain ourselves, just invent some intelligent software to do the work.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
. . .Why can't one just form the letter "g" on the screen, and let the software do the work of interpreting the letter. Sort of like handwriting recognition?!! What a unique idea! Then we don't have to retrain ourselves, just invent some intelligent software to do the work.

Been done, of course. Graffiti, while not perfect, is usable after only a short training period.

But there are some potential advantages to the 8pen way. For instance; once I got used to entering 'the' I could enter the whole word with a single gesture only slightly more complicated than some letters. This is very fast, and while it certainly isn't true of every word the layout does place many of the common letters and combinations within easy reach.

The payout of 8pen will come when the letters become second nature. At that point entire words can be entered in one continuos motion.

Swype style keyboards can do this already and I think they are intrinsically faster, but they depend heavily on prediction. That means you always have to slow down and tap keys individually when entering unusual combinations, at least until they have been trained. These days when acronyms and l33t have all but taken over casual texting you could end up doing a lot of training.

Sulfur

Reaction score
They need a trial version, they're going to miss many potential users without one. Awesome idea though.

Lenagainster

Reaction score
They need a trial version,.....
IMHO, perhaps the 'inventor' of 8pen realized that it won't take off as THE app for touchscreen data entry and wanted to get as much money for his effort ASAP before the glow dims and the reviews from frustrated users dribble in. Graffiti seems to be a much easier alternative without the steep learning curve.