App options for streaming media and DRM'd files

bristolcat

Reaction score
I've searched high and low but just to make sure I'm not missing anything, I thought I'd ask the forum. Is there anything that can play audio files, particularly WMA, with DRM on them? My library has a huge library of audiobooks that I can listen to for free (via Overdrive), but about 90% of them are WMA with DRM. This is driving me crazy. I don't understand how I could transfer the licenses to my old cheap MP3 player with no problems, but my Droid is apparently incapable of playing them.

Along the same lines, I would like to listen to live streaming from my favorite radio program that I paid extra to get VIP features for. They have live streaming WMA/RP audio and video, but I can't get either to work on the Droid.

Does anyone know if anything exists that can take care of either of these kinds of media? Is anything in the pipeline? Could 2.1 include this capability?

The only thing that I can think of that would work eventually would be PhoneMyPC once they get audio to work on it. But that's going to take up a lot of bandwidth. Otherwise, is there something that I can use PC-side to broadcast media to my Droid? I tried ORB, but it was very buggy and unintuitive. And it just plain didn't seem to work. As for the DRM'd files, I tried stripping the DRM but it felt dishonest - like photocopying a library book, and besides that, the method I used does not appear to work anymore.

Thanks in advance for any help or input anyone might have!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how I could transfer the licenses to my old cheap MP3 player with no problems, but my Droid is apparently incapable of playing them.
Assuming that the cost of something means anything about its features will definitely cause such misunderstandings (hence the many "For $XXX.XX it ought to YYYY" threads all over the internet). ;)

What's the make/model of the old cheap MP3 player?

OP
bristolcat

bristolcat

Reaction score
A Creative Zen..something, that was stolen and a Samsung...something that I gave away when I got my Droid. Can't remember what models, sorry, but they both worked fine.

But really, my rant is entirely beside the point. I am looking for solutions for these kinds of media. It doesn't look like anyone has any answers, though. I'm really disappointed.