APN Settings not saving on 2.1 Telus Milestone

Godinster

Reaction score
Long story short here, I've got a Milestone I threw 2.0 Brazillian ROM on back before 2.1. Updated to 2.1 and for some reason when I try to enter the APN settings from Telus, it flat out won't save the APN.

I've tried calling Telus for the settings but the ones they give and the APN settings including the MMC port and servers are seemingly doing nothing, the only way I can get online with it is through WiFi. My current OS is a legitimate 2.1 Brazillian [only way I know is the language it installed on 2.1 was Portuguese].

Any ideas? If it means anything, the phone is unlocked but it's being used on Telus anyhow.

averma1

Reaction score
have you tried going Menu>save after you entered the APN setting?

or even tried re flashing the telus 2.1 firmware?

DeadMule

Reaction score
Same problem, other phone, other country

Hi,
Sorry for butting in here, as I don't even have a Motorola phone... But I have an android 2.1 (HTC Legend), which is on a French original config which I want to add a Norwegian (Telenor) APN to. This doesn't work, the APN settings are just not saved! What I found after a step-by-step procedure, was that if I added the new APN, WITHOUT entering/changing the MCC value, all the info is saved, and the APN is added to the list! So what is it with the MCC? Does it have to match something on the SIM card, or what? The phone is not locked. Maybe I should try the same with the Telenor SIM in the phone instead of the original SFR one....

EDIT: Awwww, forget it, the phone IS blocked by SFR. Of course, I knew this already, they are evil, don't know why I forgot. Too late, should go to bed instead. Sorry for wasting your time...

Last edited:

hungerdog

Reaction score
Long story short here, I've got a Milestone I threw 2.0 Brazillian ROM on back before 2.1. Updated to 2.1 and for some reason when I try to enter the APN settings from Telus, it flat out won't save the APN.

I'm having the exact same problem with Rogers Wireless. I won an unlocked Brazilian Milestone and since the 2.1 upgrade I got through the Motorola update tool I'm unable to save APN settings. However, using APN Backup and Restore (available on the Marketplace) and APNdroid (also on the Marketplace) it looks like my settings, although not "saved" are indeed being stored. Using APN Backup and Restore I created an APN file with just Rogers settings and then was able to enable/disable the connection with APNdroid (which just enables/disables your settings by adding text to the values). I can see APNdroid changing the Rogers settings but I still have no 3G. It's as if I need to somehow designating Rogers as "the" connection.

I'm going to do some code diving through APNdroid to see if I can find some useful API I can invoke.

--Shaun

hungerdog

Reaction score
Downgrade to 2.0.1 Restores APN Functionality

I downgraded from 2.1 to the Brazilian 2.0.1 and was now able to define and save the Rogers APN settings and get a 3G connection! I then upgraded with to the 2.1 service version and again lost 3G and that ability to save APNs. So I downgraded yet again (with the service version) and low and behold my previously defined Rogers APN was still in place and my 3G connection returned.

Clearly there is an issue with the Milestone Brazilan 2.1 build. I'm happy enough with 2.0.1 so maybe I'll wait for 2.2 and see if the problem is fixed.

--Shaun

hungerdog

Reaction score
Success with Telus A853 ROM!

I guess I can't leave this alone :) and I tried the Telus A853 2.1 Service Version. Sure enough it installed nicely and I still have my Rogers APN setting and 3G. It really must be an issue with the Brazilian 2.1 ROM.

--Shaun