apk's and eclipse?

Reaction score
i am wanting to know if it is possible to view the coding of an apk file with eclipse so that it can be used as a reference guide.

Exmple: i am currently learning java so i can try to write a home launcher replacement app. there are several open source launchers on the market and on the web in which can be used for a reference guide when i am ready to write my own.

any help is appreciated. thanks. dancedroid

OP
R
Reaction score
i am wanting to know if it is possible to view the coding of an apk file with eclipse so that it can be used as a reference guide.

Exmple: i am currently learning java so i can try to write a home launcher replacement app. there are several open source launchers on the market and on the web in which can be used for a reference guide when i am ready to write my own.

any help is appreciated. thanks.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Aren't APKs bytecode?
You should look for open-source launchers (f.ex. the stock Android launcher) and check their source repositories for the source code.

Bytecode isn't made to be decompiled back to source, otherwise paid apps just wouldn't exist.

Sure, an APK package can be unpacked, but you won't get much besides the compiled code, and the resources.

OP
R
Reaction score
Aren't APKs bytecode?
You should look for open-source launchers (f.ex. the stock Android launcher) and check their source repositories for the source code.

Bytecode isn't made to be decompiled back to source, otherwise paid apps just wouldn't exist.

Sure, an APK package can be unpacked, but you won't get much besides the compiled code, and the resources.

Are you saying that the code I am looking for is not found inside the apk itself?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
classes.dex inside an APK package is basically compiled Java code.

You'll need to use dex2jar and then a Java decompiler, but even then, you probably won't be able to decompile at least some of the software products present on the market.

And I'm not even sure why are you going into Java development when you apparently don't know what is a “source repository” and where to find those for stock Android launcher.