anyone go from keyboard to non-keyboard?

socalsx

Reaction score
Ive had the Original droid for a while. it was my first phone with a keyboard. at first daunting, but soon seemed like a necessity. Im due for an upgrade and im looking to pick up the Tbolt soon. I feel like the droids keyboard is such an asset that i should probably wait for the droid 3?

I know the debate, you get used to the virtual keyboard but how about that lovely full screen real estate when using the keyboard? I literally use the phone with the keyboard 95% of the time even when Im not typing

So anyone recently go to a non-keyboard phone from the droid and what is your experience without one? thanks

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
Started on a D1, then went to a D2 then a DX, and now on a TB. There are times i miss having a keyboard, but its so much better not to have the slider, no moving parts to worry about, and cases are so much better for a 1 piece phone. There have been a handful of times i wished i could see the entire screen real estate while typing, but its not enough that i would ever go back.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Started on a D1 and hated the keyboard....Will never own another one.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was an OG Droid user and from day one never used the keyboard, so to me it was worthless. The TB has a much bigger screen and have had no problem whatsoever with the keyboard (I use Swype). I will never buy a phone again with a pull out keyboard.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
I got a d1 specifically FOR the keyboard.
Came here and found Swype.
Now, I never use it.
Man...

moosez3

Reaction score
Ive had the Original droid for a while. it was my first phone with a keyboard. at first daunting, but soon seemed like a necessity. Im due for an upgrade and im looking to pick up the Tbolt soon. I feel like the droids keyboard is such an asset that i should probably wait for the droid 3?

I know the debate, you get used to the virtual keyboard but how about that lovely full screen real estate when using the keyboard? I literally use the phone with the keyboard 95% of the time even when Im not typing

So anyone recently go to a non-keyboard phone from the droid and what is your experience without one? thanks

I only used the keyboard on my OG, when I realized that I was going to buy the tb, about a month before it actually came out I reluctantly started trying to use its on-screen keyboard, granted it was slide-it, but it was difficult, and in frustration sometimes I would just flip open the keyboard.

Fast forward to now having bought the TB on opening day I pick up the OG and wonder how I did it lol its so small and slow to type.

The only thing i sometimes want is the ability to have a keypad like the stock HTC keyboard does, Slide-it does not :( But its so freaking fast i dont really care much...

jchammer123

Reaction score
I still have the OG Droid and have been recently using the onscreen keyboard to see what its like and I've actually come to like it more.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Started on a D1 and hated the keyboard....Will never own another one.

same here. came from a blackberry to the D1 thinking i still needed the keyboard and i hate the keyboard i could count on one hand how many times i have used it. I always use the onscreen/virtual keyboard.

I still have the OG Droid and have been recently using the onscreen keyboard to see what its like and I've actually come to like it more.

i can actually type about twice as fast using the on screen keyboard as on the physical keyboard.

OP
S

socalsx

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the input.. I've never been able to get swype installed. There was a beta released that's all I remember. Does it come std on the new phones?

gsdreams

Reaction score
As far as I know it is standard on all new phones. Personally I bought the droid 2 because I was coming from an env3 and wanted the keyboard. Now though I use the onscreen so much I regret not getting the droid x.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk