Anyone figure out how to manually add facebook info to a contact?

rlb

Reaction score
I synced facebook w/ my existing contacts (in Facebook app go to steeings>sync contacts>sync with existing contacts) but a handful of my existing phone contacts didn't get linked to facebook.

Has anyone discovered how to manually link up a phone contact with a facebook contact?

OP
rlb

rlb

Reaction score
Thanks, I did read through that thread but it didn't make sense at first. After a second look, and with the help of the information there I have the steps figured out..

Open facebook App. In home screen press friends.

Search the friend you're looking for, but don't press on their profile to view.

While still in the search results list, long press the contact picture and release. A context menu pops up.

Press the contact icon from this context menu. It will bring you to a screen to add this person as a new contact.

Press the Menu button and choose "Edit Contact". Press Menu again and choose "Join"

The next screen will show your phone contacts that have a similar name. Touch the appropriate contact and you should get a popup stating "Contacts Joined"

Touch "Done" and review your phone contacts, the facebook info should be there.

Last edited:

kapukapper

Reaction score
Weird. My sister's Facebook profile and her contact names are identical, but her name doesn't appear as an option to join the contact info. Anyone have a clue as to why?

NAMELESS

Reaction score
hit join..then search her name...go back to contacts..wait a minute..it will join

yamaha83

Reaction score
how are you searching for a name? im wanting to manually add some pages to my contacts but when i do the above a press join it does not come up with a list of names...is just says "select the contact you want to join" but there is nothing to select from??

NAMELESS

Reaction score
If nothing comes up ..Hit the search spyglass/magnifying glass then start typing..Where I'm finding the problem is a persons name on FB is not the same in your contacts folder so they won't join automatically..

yamaha83

Reaction score
ya i tried that... but when i search and type in the name it brings up the contact and i select it but it seems to take me out of the "joining" proccess when i use the search botton and when i get the contact i was searching for i only have the option the call/text/edit, etc... the reasson im having an ssue is i would like to save a facebook page to a contact that has a name that does not match the facebook page... say i have a contact that is "mom" i would think it should be possible to say this profile belongs to this contact... instead of having to change all my contacts to match the names on facebook...

Last edited:

w0lfinator

Reaction score
I am having this same issue, except both my contacts have the same exact name. It will not bring up the phonebook name when trying to join the facebook contact. When I try to search the phonebook for the name, it just sort of takes me out of the join process..

yamaha83

Reaction score
so the process of manualy joining FB contacts with people in my contacts list just randomly started working last night... but for some reason its not working on all my contacts? anyone know why? also, i am getting facebook notifications on my phone now... but not for all of them?

Bateluer

Reaction score
so the process of manualy joining FB contacts with people in my contacts list just randomly started working last night... but for some reason its not working on all my contacts? anyone know why? also, i am getting facebook notifications on my phone now... but not for all of them?

The Android Facebook app seems to be a work in progress.

In my case, I have contacts listed several times. On my Env2, I had a number of contacts that were the same person, but I had separate entries for their email, phone number, and alternate email. End result is that on the Droid, I have a Facebook contact with a nice profile picture, and entries for every email address and phone number. I have the same contact 4 times in some cases. Need to spend some time cleaning this up.

yamaha83

Reaction score

The Android Facebook app seems to be a work in progress.

In my case, I have contacts listed several times. On my Env2, I had a number of contacts that were the same person, but I had separate entries for their email, phone number, and alternate email. End result is that on the Droid, I have a Facebook contact with a nice profile picture, and entries for every email address and phone number. I have the same contact 4 times in some cases. Need to spend some time cleaning this up.

An easy way to clean that up is to use the join function but to do it within your gmail account from a real computer under contacts...this way you can select more then one of you contacts at a time to join...

Wrenbjor

Reaction score
Ok I think I got! I tried this on 4 contacts so far and it's working.

1. goto you normal contact list and find the "Unsynced" account Aka "Mom"
2. Write down their phone #, then delete the contact.
3. open up facebook app, goto "Friends".
4. find the contact in the search window and tap their picture NOT their name.
5. in the little popup window, click the "Contact" Icon.
6. hit the menu button and "Edit Contact".
7. hit the menu button again and hit "New Contact" YES NEW NOT JOIN!
8. Enter the display name you want to see (I.E if the contact is "Mom" and facebook has her as jane smith, put in "Mom" it will take it.) Not sure how to make the gmail contact as the actual display in the list but it does save the info ****
9. enter the phone #.
10. Hit done. it should merge all facebook info for that profile into the contact you just made.

*** After you save the contact to the phone go all the way back to the main contact screen and edit the contact. Click on the display name IE "Mom", change it to something like "AAA" and save it, go back and edit again and make it "Mom" and Presto! "Mom" is the contact in the phone and it updates with "Jane Smith"'s facebook info!

Last edited: