Anyone else think the Droid X will one up Apple on June 23rd?

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
I am not talking about being announced by Verizon...what I am thinking is that Motorola/Verizon would have the golden opportunity to fire a kill shot at the new I-phone.

If the Droid X actually comes up for sale on June 23rd a day before the Iphone is ready to ship especially with all the ordering problems and now mysterious pre-order cancellations it could steal the spotlight and some customers. Just a thought but there are accessories already popping up for sale on the web, I even saw a mention of accessory delivery available on June 23rd...coincidence????

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Verizon stores may be somewhat more crowded on Wednesday. There will be lines around the block just trying to get into Apple stores on Thursday.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
IMHO Droid has already 1 upped it. The only reason that iPhone is more popular is the fact that most people who buy iPhones aren't well educated as to what they are purchasing.

And for a lot of people that's a good thing. Simple and uncomplicated, the iPhone leaves very little room for innovation beyond what your purchased.

Mojo

Reaction score
There are lines outside of the apple stores because they are exclusive places to purchase apple products. If the was exclusive "Droid stores " I think you would see longer lines too. Anywho, I agree with hook. Droid has already 1up'd apple. Phone to phone the Droid X owns the iPhone.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
IMHO Droid has already 1 upped it. The only reason that iPhone is more popular is the fact that most people who buy iPhones aren't well educated as to what they are purchasing.

And for a lot of people that's a good thing. Simple and uncomplicated, the iPhone leaves very little room for innovation beyond what your purchased.

Yup. And that's why MS-DOS is so superior to Windows.

Darkseider

Reaction score

This echoes my sentiments exactly. Any high end Android device beyond the original Moto Droid, we'll call it Droid +1, is more or less icing on the cake. The Droid itself being 7 months old still one ups the iPhone.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
But this is what is so brilliant about what Jobs has done. Mainstream media will be covering the IPhone frenzy. To you average non-smartphone user, they know IPhone but probably just associate Droid with "those weird commercials".

The amazing thing about Droid to me - my first smartphone and NEVER though I'd kill so much time playing with it - is the stuff I can do that is useful and I never imagined possible or knew I needed it.

The way I'd describe it, I think the IPhone will surprise and excite the average amateur smartphone hack. The Droid can WOW you, but you sort of have to work to earn it.

Darkseider

Reaction score
But this is what is so brilliant about what Jobs has done. Mainstream media will be covering the IPhone frenzy. To you average non-smartphone user, they know IPhone but probably just associate Droid with "those weird commercials".

The amazing thing about Droid to me - my first smartphone and NEVER though I'd kill so much time playing with it - is the stuff I can do that is useful and I never imagined possible or knew I needed it.

The way I'd describe it, I think the IPhone will surprise and excite the average amateur smartphone hack. The Droid can WOW you, but you sort of have to work to earn it.

The thing with the Droid is not only can it WOW you but it also continues to WOW you month after month. There isn't a week that goes by that I haven't found something new to do with it that is actually useful/helpful. For that matter a new app that comes out that does something I never knew could be done, for instance TiKL push to talk. Lastly if you are rooted it opens up even more exciting a new prospects for the hardware and software. Droid is a device that just keeps on giving and when you thought it gave it all... WHAM! It's got more.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The thing with the Droid is not only can it WOW you but it also continues to WOW you month after month. There isn't a week that goes by that I haven't found something new to do with it that is actually useful/helpful. For that matter a new app that comes out that does something I never knew could be done, for instance TiKL push to talk. Lastly if you are rooted it opens up even more exciting a new prospects for the hardware and software. Droid is a device that just keeps on giving and when you thought it gave it all... WHAM! It's got more.

Yeah, flash is cool...And I'm loving the widgets that integrate mail and calendars. LOVE my RSS widgets, though they could be better. To me widgets are a major part of the whole smartphone experience - I've kept an outlook window with message previews open on my computer for years.

LOL, the news was talking about the IP4, and they said "new folders for your apps!". Really? What a joke. I have "hot buttons" launching sub-folder of apps that automatically shut the other folder. And they could scroll if I so choose.

If I could just get my free VoIP working properly then it would truly be amazing.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
IMO apple is already a thing of the past. Too bad there are so many iFans (including the media) that will keep pushing and buying the new stuff...

I love my Moto Droid still and don't feel the need to upgrade. I just can't believe how my phone evolved from the time I got it. It's now so much faster, smoother, can do more, and even runs flash. Android is ever evolving, so thats why I think the iPhone is done for...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I love my Moto Droid still and don't feel the need to upgrade. I just can't believe how my phone evolved from the time I got it. It's now so much faster, smoother, can do more, and even runs flash. Android is ever evolving, so thats why I think the iPhone is done for...

True, the advancements in power management and speed are pretty amazing. Although, I have a feeling with the new phones coming out that Froyo might be the last update we see for Droid, unless one of the outstanding developers here can make Gingerbread or whatever work.

But you also have to realize this group on these boards represents a small percent of users/buyers with both the technical ability and time to incorporate all this stuff. Although I guess everyone eventually gets Froyo and it will be superior to any of the 2.1 roms we had.

Maybe that is what SenseUI and all that stuff is about, but Google/Moto/whoever would be well served to look at some of the better home themes people have and make that stock. I suspect a lot of Android's capability is lost on people with the blank slate who never invest the time to fully explore features.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I read (on this forum I believe) that Google is planning a big overhaul and focusing on UI ease of use with Gingerbread.

The funny thing about the Droid commercials is that they don't really offer anything new and exciting that can't be done on other smartphones now... but to the small percentage of users on this forum and elsewhere that hack and really tap the potential, the commercials have a whole new meaning... :icon_eek:

OP
FSRBIKER

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
Android commercials should show off the uses of widgets, also the ability to customize the look of your phone.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Android commercials should show off the uses of widgets, also the ability to customize the look of your phone.

What I would do is a Droid Youtube channel with 30 second spots showing off "real" users phones. Highlight a cool, useful or impressive feature.

Really, just think what 1-2 people working on that a day could do for VZW and the product. They could easily crank out a couple of spots a day

Then again, I suppose maybe VZW wants to closely control the sales experience. But they are actually somewhat limited in the store to being able to truly show-off the phone

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

But you also have to realize this group on these boards represents a small percent of users/buyers with both the technical ability and time to incorporate all this stuff...

Your forgot to mention any interest whatsoever "to incorporate all this stuff." The vast majority of smart phone users have lives that go beyond playing with their phones. They don't want to root and overclock their phones. They aren't interested in expressing their individuality through their phones.

That doesn't mean they're technically inept. One of my friends with an iPhone can run rings around me as a mechanic. Another with an iPad is a far better software developer than I am.

My wife is a great cook. She loves her Droid in part because I take care of looking for apps, updating apps, and dealing with the fact that a good percentage of the time she can't swipe to answer her phone. Meanwhile, she can use the Droid as a relatively simple tool for grocery lists and recipes. But if she didn't have me around, she'd no doubt prefer an iPhone. Not because she can't figure out how to clear the cache in her gmail but because doing so is a pita that she shouldn't have to deal with.